VOGONS

First post, by Prefect47

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anyone gotten this to run under WinXP with sound? Works fine without sound, but since it's a talkie I really don't want to play it that way...

With sound turned on in the config, I get this when starting the game:

ERROR FROM FILER
Chewy Spezial Taf

I got the game from the Underdogs site, and I've applied the fix they had, too... and I've tried both with and without VDMSound. I even tried to run it through VMWare, but the DOS sound support is not exactly 100%... 😀

Reply 1 of 12, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's really, really odd. Have you tried DosBox as an alternate thing? (.55 was just released! 😀) Just a thought. Otherwise, 'till you provide stuff outlined in the POSTING GUIDELINES, we can't do much.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 12, by Prefect47

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Didn't realize things were so strict around here 😀

Anyway, to answer the questions in the guidelines (to which, btw, your link did not go):

• I think I have the latest VDMSound, but as I'm away from my comp right now I can't be 100% sure. Will check and edit when I get home. Same with DosBox, Bochs etc.
  • The game is not on the VDMSound compatability list.
  • OS is Windows XP, game version is unknown.
  • Sound modes tried where everything SoundBlaster, but IIRC they all gave the same error. The videomode is probably 320x200 VGA since it's an old DOS game.
  • Hardware specs seem less important, but include an Abit BX6 v2.0 motherboard, a P3 933MHz, 256Mb 133MHz RAM, Matrox G200 GFX card (plus an even more ancient Voodoo2) and Soundblaster AWE32.

Hope any of that helps. I will try the obvious when I get home (reinstalling the game and stuff like that).

Reply 3 of 12, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here's a working link to the Guidelines:
announcement.php?forumid=7

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 12, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The guidelines are so that we can help you.

Anyway, I'm downloading the game from The Underdogs. It looks like their bandwidth cap is at ~26.2KB/s (or there are just that many people downloading), so it'll take me about 50 minutes to download the game. Then the testing will begin (at least, on my end. 😁)

There is a link to missing files at HotU, so I suggest you try that out.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 5 of 12, by ADG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You mean you can get in to play the game?

I haven't been able to play the game yet

If I start it from windowsXP (Without dosBox), I get to the first picture (a picture of the universe), then nothing happens... I have tried pressing everything, but it still doesn't change anything...

If I start it with DosBox (in WinXP), I get some error message about "Protected mode not supported"

How did you get in to play the game?

Reply 6 of 12, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The game runs fine, but the mouse does not respond on the game screen (though it responds fine to select inventory and on all other pages). I ASSUME you ran SETUP.BAT to extract all the files and then changed the .INI to reflect where the game was located on your hard drive??

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 7 of 12, by ADG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, that's what I did

Reply 8 of 12, by ADG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

...and you're sure you didn't do anything else than that?

Reply 9 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by ADG Yes, that's what I did

Did you make sure to follow step 2 from the ReadMe.TXT file?:

Copy UHARC.EXE included in this Zip to your Chewy folder.

If you skip this step (unless you have a copy of UHARC in a defined pathway), running the setup.bat file will skip the step where compressed game data is uncompressed and go straight to the OggSetup program.

That will give you a "ERROR FROM FILER" message every time.

For the record, Jael posted at HOTU that running MOUSECTL as follows:

Mousectl.com 5,6,10,15,15,15,15,15
CHEWY.EXE

in a batch file seemed to work.

Reply 10 of 12, by ADG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thx, I managed to get into the game now 😀

Though I've already done this before, but I just tried to reinstall it for the 4th time...

Not sure what you mean about the:

Mousectl.com 5,6,10,15,15,15,15,15
CHEWY.EXE

Should this be pasted into a new .bat file, and use it as startup?
When I do this, it says: Mousectl.com is not recognized

Reply 11 of 12, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mousectl.com is a stand-alone application. You'll have to download it and put it preferently in your path or in the same game folder to run it.

Reply 12 of 12, by ADG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thx, now I can use the mouse 😀

Though 2 seconds after I save (Then return to game) the game quits without warning 😕