VOGONS

Ufo defense

Topic actions

First post, by fabre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Got Ufo defense 1.4 running on dosbox 0.60, it's working but everything is a bit choppy like frames were missing and clic response is very slow.
Is there a way to improve this? I tried increasing the cpu cycle but it didn't make much difference, frameskip is already at 0.

I picked soundblaster for the sound setup

Thanks
------------------------
My system:
winxp SP1
Asrock K7S8X
Atlhon XP 2400+
512 ddr pc2100
radeon 9800 pro
Hercules fortissimo II

Reply 2 of 17, by fabre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the advice, but I would rather not use all my cpu ressouces for it, is there another a way to improve the low fps and slow clic response.
atm i have set the cycles at 10.000
I play xcom in window mode doing other stuff at the same time, btw is there another way than Alt+Tab to go back to the desktop?

Reply 3 of 17, by DoomWarrior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

my processor is an athlon 2100+ and get the best results at 8000 cycles. More slow down emulation. Of course you have a faster cpu... but 2000 Cycles more ?

Reply 5 of 17, by DoomWarrior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

please make a cross...

[ ] you read the README
[ ] you know that dosbox emulate a i286/386/486 AND Dos
[ ] you know that protected mode games are veeerrryyy slow @ the moment

Reply 6 of 17, by fabre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

[x] you read the README
[x] you know that dosbox emulate a i286/386/486 AND Dos
[x] you know that protected mode games are veeerrryyy slow @ the moment

=)

Wasn't aware it was a protected mode game, i don't even know what it means in fact...

The thing is I have a patched CE version running on another machine a PII 450 with win98.
So in a ideal world I would expect the same kind of performance on the athlon...

Anyway are there some setting in the .conf that I should change to improve a bit the game performance? like changing the memsize?

Reply 12 of 17, by fabre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Gee you are right

I just launched dosbox xcom to do a screen capture with the cycle at 15000 and the cpu usage screen.
I did the screen capture and the cpu usage was 40%, but then a minute later it jumped to 100% and stayed there.
Guess I should have waited longer.
I had a look at the graph playing a few minutes, the first minute is 40%-50% then increase to 80%-100%

Guess I am going to go down in the cycles...
Thank you for pointing that out to me.

Last edited by fabre on 2003-10-31, 11:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 17, by gabumon79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@fabre
having the same problems, but only with the earthview.
how do you get sound up'n'runnin' ? i were not able to sucessfully activate soundeffects for this game. adlib music works tho'
means - when i select the wrong dma channel for sound effects, the game runs with music, when i select the correct dma channel - the game freezes on the first screen. same for the "intro"
i tried several setups with different irq/dma settings, everytime the same result
(oh yeah, btw. using dosbox v.60 of course)

Reply 17 of 17, by gabumon79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yes, hmm, as i said - either faulty drivers or i managed to screw everything up. well, its a long time ago since i played ufo on that old 486 with a REAL soundblaster 😉
and now - the p4 is too fast for the xcom win32 port and too slow to emulate the dos environment. what an irony
i'm looking forward to the time, when we are able to run build-engine games with dosbox 😄
(hell i should think about buing an old rustbucket pc on ebay *lol* )