Common searches

Glide patch

Topic actions

Reply 181 of 246, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Gulikoza is your glide patch for usage in guest Windows as well? If so how would I use it?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 182 of 246, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes 😀
You need to copy glide2x.dll (the one from the patch) into Windows guest and place it in the windows or game directory (the same as any other wrapper). You also need to SET GLIDE= in the autoexec (what the patch does automatically when dosbox is started, but needs to be done manually for booted OS). Only (some) Glide and OpenGL titles are supported, D3D is not (like kekko's patch does it). No Voodoo drivers are required and it won't show up in Device Manager - it acts like a wrapper not a real device.

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 183 of 246, by Orka Borka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gulikoza wrote:

Yes 😀

Woa. That's quite interesting. I assume it is a recent feature, I never saw it mentioned before.

Only (some) Glide and OpenGL titles are supported, D3D is not (like kekko's patch does it). No Voodoo drivers are required and it won't show up in Device Manager - it acts like a wrapper not a real device.

By "OpenGL" do you mean games supporting "minigl" drivers? Or have you implemented some basic opengl driver, too?

Reply 184 of 246, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

nah, he mentioned it before 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 185 of 246, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Orka Borka wrote:

By "OpenGL" do you mean games supporting "minigl" drivers?

Yes precisely that 😀. There are some nice screenshots on my page 😁

Reply 186 of 246, by Orka Borka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

(goes to Gulikoza's website, presses "Glide" link, then smashes an hand on his forehead.)
Woops, silly me.

So, it looks like it's just minigl support then.

By the way, I've experienced the same Need For Speed 2 SE Bug (just few seconds of gameplay, then it crashes ) using kekko's voodoo patch.

Reply 188 of 246, by MastaG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Will the patch eventually be committed to CVS?
I'm having a hard time applying it to v0.74.
I'd like to give Carmageddon a try on linux using OpenGlide 😀
I heard 0.74 works allot better compared to 0.73.

Reply 190 of 246, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

here is the latest DOSBox SVN with lastest glide patch applied

Edit: added ddraw support.
Edit2: added IPX and modem support.

Attachments

Reply 194 of 246, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This one might work 😀. The problem is that dos watcom compiler does not know how to compile .ovl when it uses standard c library functions (like getenv()). I tried to write pure asm version but failed miserably, so the current ovl just reads 'SET GLIDE=xxx' from a memory location in dosbox (it is always the same). The windows dll has a working getenv so that isn't a problem...
This ovl assumes port 0x600, so don't change it in dosbox.conf but you also don't need autoexec.bat setting in booted dos 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    glide2x.zip
    File size
    8.78 KiB
    Downloads
    528 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 196 of 246, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

i have noticed (generally about the glide patch) that it cannot initialize 800x600 with real voodoo cards when you start a game with that resolution. But is is possible to start a game in 640x480 and than switch to 800x600 (for example GTA). So if GTA is set to 800x600 i have to start the game with a wrapper, switch to 640x480, and then i can start it with real voodoo card. Voodoo2 just doesn't work. But Voodoo1 got stuck and I have to unplug the computer to make card working again (reset or even turning pc off doesn't help).

Voodoo1 generally got stuck if something went wrong and needs removing the plug. For example:
- above sdk tests with your new ovl in booted dos,
- ykhwong build with some games (my build works fine with those games).

Reply 197 of 246, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I managed to make it run and tried Carmageddon. It works, but it looks exactly like in software mode (no bilinear filtering) and it's slow (playable, but slow). I'm running CARMAV.EXE, tried to copy in the game folder the OVL from the patch and from dgvoodoo, same result. If I don't copy any glide2x.dll in carma folder the game quits with error. Any thoughts ?

Reply 198 of 246, by Sheriff Hobbes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

RaverX, I'm running SVN built from ykhwong (http://ykhwong.x-y.net/) and Carmageddon works perfectly with it! I don't recall, but if there's an OVL in the game directory, delete it (so the one from DOSBox is used)!

With this built and gulikoza's latest OVL I could get all of my 3Dfx DOS games to run, which are:

- Tomb Raider (including unfinished business)
- Carmageddon (including Splat Pack)
- Bleifuß 2 (Screamer 2)
- Descent 2

TR shows borders around the muzzle flash of the gunfire, the other graphics seem to be Ok.
Screamer 2 runs a little "bumpy", so I prefer the normal version in high res and 64k colors, which looks almost as good as the 3Dfx version.

Marriage is a three ring circus:
-engagement ring
-wedding ring
-suffering

H. L. Mencken

Reply 199 of 246, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

TR shows borders around the muzzle flash of the gunfire, the other graphics seem to be Ok.

If the border is white, that actually occurs on real hardware.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog