VOGONS

First post, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've noticed a bit of confusion during the conversion to Pentium 2 era processors. 1997/1998 if memory serves me correctly and I wanted to somewhat clear the air in this area. We have an "ultimate 486 (socket 3) benchmark of practically all the 486 class processors, and I think we need some data for the 166-333mhz range. I decided to stop at 333 because the first gen P2 processors stopped there, and the p-pro overdrives ran at 333. (the real reason I started to think about this is because I was curios what was faster, 2x p2's or 2x p-pro's @ 333) Naturally I would include the original slot 1 Celerons and then I thought, what the hell, lets compare the 200mhz p-pro and it snowballed to practically EVERY processor between 166 and 333mhz. Then I wondered if using a 440BX chipset board is better than a 440FX. Naturally I want to include some Dual processor benchmarks, and to make the playing field level, the video card will be the same, the ram will run the same speed as the fsb, and I decided that windows NT will be the OS on my testbeds.

I think later having a 100mhz fsb roundup would be more appropriate.

However, I am going to need some help to make this a "complete" listing.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/c … mJuRHc&hl=en_US

above is a link to "all" the processors between 166 and 333 that I want to test. I have highlighted the ones that I already own. I do have most of the relevant processors, but I'm missing a few. If you have one of these processors and wouldn't mind "donating" it to the cause, it would be appreciated.

Also I will be overclocking the "fastest" chip in each series. meaning I would take the p2-333 and see how far it will go and test it again. Along with the 200mhz p-pro and so forth.

I do believe that I am set in the motherboard department. But if you have any suggestions, i'm all ears. In fact if anyone has any suggestions at all i'm willing to field them.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So you're looking @ benchmarking every 333Mhz CPU, kinda like swaaye's 133Mhz roundup?
Anyway, this might be interesting. If you have any bootable-from-floppy benchmark programs 😉

Btw, you can add the P2-200 and Pentium 2 -166. Those speeds aren't official but some of us here have unlocked P2's (including me, I got one to boot at 2*50Mhz 😜) 😉

Edit:Got just one gripe, K6 has more benefit from a higher FSB then P2's, so sticking with 66Mhz FSB would be disadvantageous to the Super 7 platform.
Perhaps make 3 colums, 66Mhz, 100Mhz and 133Mhz FSB?
133Mhz FSB is uncommon for both, but both exist so that's a matter of choice more. Btw I don't think 133Mhz FSB is really relevant to your selected speeds.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 10, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think running dual processor benchmarks is going to be useful to very many people. Dual CPU's require a dual CPU aware OS and dual CPU aware games and apps otherwise the second CPU just sits idle. Most people here are probably running some combination of DOS or Windows up to 98SE, so dual CPU scores wouldn't mean much. Single CPU scores alone would be the most useful and leaving out dual CPU scores would reduce the testing time.

Reply 3 of 10, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I want to do multi processor setups for a few reasons.

1. I love dual cpu setups, and since it is my time to waste...
2. I'm pretty sure it will have SOME effect. I am personally curious to see how much.
3. Mostly because of #1, I have practically every dual socket board worth its salt. So its not going to cost me anything.

I guess in the single processor tests I can test NT verses 98. I'm also curious to see if the stability of NT causes a performance hit. It would be nice to know right?

Reply 4 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Most Socket 7 CPU's don't support dual-CPU though 🙁
Afaik only Intel's chips do

Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 10, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

been playing around with the chips I have. I've been experimenting with windows 2000. I have over 256mb of ram in the test systems, so it has been running fine so far.

Anyway:
baseline300x2.th.jpgppro2x233.th.png

Big thing I noticed is, that 2x pentium 2's @ 300 can do the super-pi benchmark in ~487 seconds

Where the 200/1m @ 233 pentium pro chips can do it in ~460 seconds.

Something to think about. and yes the benchmark was multi-threaded. I'm really interested in how the overdrives do!

Reply 6 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:
been playing around with the chips I have. I've been experimenting with windows 2000. I have over 256mb of ram in the test sys […]
Show full quote

been playing around with the chips I have. I've been experimenting with windows 2000. I have over 256mb of ram in the test systems, so it has been running fine so far.

Anyway:
baseline300x2.th.jpgppro2x233.th.png

Big thing I noticed is, that 2x pentium 2's @ 300 can do the super-pi benchmark in ~487 seconds

Where the 200/1m @ 233 pentium pro chips can do it in ~460 seconds.

Something to think about. and yes the benchmark was multi-threaded. I'm really interested in how the overdrives do!

That's an interesting result. The only reason I can think of (which is an obvious conclusion of course) is that the larger and faster (233Mhz vs 150Mhz) L2 cache improves SuperPi calculation very significantly

Makes me wonder how the K6-2+ and the K6-III(+) would fare against eachother

Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 10, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This makes me want to find a pair of 333mhz p2's. so I can FAIRLY compare them to my Pentium pro od's both have 512kb cache, where the pro runs @ 333 and the desktop runs at 1/2 cpu.

Thats also why I included the original Pentium @ 200 and 233 to see how they fare against the p-pro and P2.

Reply 8 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

This makes me want to find a pair of 333mhz p2's. so I can FAIRLY compare them to my Pentium pro od's both have 512kb cache, where the pro runs @ 333 and the desktop runs at 1/2 cpu.

Thats also why I included the original Pentium @ 200 and 233 to see how they fare against the p-pro and P2.

The 333 OD's are not easy to find and usually quite expensive. Also not all boards actually support them. I only have one of the 333 OD's and it's missing it's fan.
But perhaps someone else on this forum has the right parts?

Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 10, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
luckybob wrote:

The 333 OD's are not easy to find and usually quite expensive. Also not all boards actually support them. I only have one of the 333 OD's and it's missing it's fan.
But perhaps someone else on this forum has the right parts?

no, i HAVE the overdrives, I only have 300mhz p2's and not the slightly faster, but much more expensive 333mhz p2's

Reply 10 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wasn't aware the 333's became more expensive 😳
If you have a couple unlocked 400's, they should do the trick as well provided they work in a dual configuration.
I got a couple 333's rather cheap (very cheap) on cpu-world. You could ask there for a couple common and identical 333's 😉
But of course only if you want to 😉

Btw, I think theres already a couple people here with a dual Slot 1 board, me included (and it's huUuge!)

Report spammers here!