VOGONS

post up pics of your "computing area"

Topic actions

Reply 221 of 2202, by bailey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes it is. It's not a bad case, but I think they released a second version of it that has the USB ports closer to the front, which would really be more convenient for me. I've had this one for about 3.5 years running a Q6600. I've just been upgrading the video card to keep up. Seems like it still has a lot of life left in it, though I haven't tried gaming on something like an i7 just yet. 😀

Reply 222 of 2202, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bailey wrote:

Yes it is. It's not a bad case, but I think they released a second version of it that has the USB ports closer to the front, which would really be more convenient for me. I've had this one for about 3.5 years running a Q6600. I've just been upgrading the video card to keep up. Seems like it still has a lot of life left in it, though I haven't tried gaming on something like an i7 just yet. 😀

Very nice case for the price. I sold my main machine a few months ago with one, but i had two and i'm using the one left for what is now my main machine. Never had troubles running the core i5 760, hd5770, 4GB 1333, 2 HDD, etc. Very cool temperatures and lots of space for air circulation.

Now i'm running some older stuff and it's even greater because the hw doesn't generate much heat. I'll be keeping mine for a long time.

Reply 223 of 2202, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

best.JPG

This is my "modern" computing post or "black", my "retro" or "beige" computing post is still in development, ill post it here when its finally final 🤣. On the left you can see my two modern PCs, both are Core2 quads, the Q6700 on top is my everyday pc, the one im writting this from. Its a triple booter: win 7, win xp, Ubuntu. Ubuntu is what i use the most. The PC on the bottom is a Q6600, its my music production PC, i use it only for music stuff.
You can see another black tower at the right, at this spot are usually machines im either fixing, building, tweaking etc.
On the desk you can see my external sound card collection, i will move the sc55 and mt32 to the "retro" post eventually. You can also see two random ISA sound cards on the desk, my part reserve is plagued by a serious lack of OPL3 based sound cards. Those are the only two candidates i have, im making a bit of research on them.

From another angle, minus the flash:

nice2.JPG

The computers are rather modern but i live in a 140 years old stone building, i like the contrast 😁.

Soon will follow images of my retro area, probably gonna post some pics of hardware piles too, i was inspired by Tetrium's attic!

Reply 224 of 2202, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

2 Compaq DC510 P4 2.4Ghz 720MB Ram each, 1 with Win98/2k and CD-RW. The other is my main PC with XP and a 2nd HDD crammed into the area the PCI cards are sposed to go! everything else stock.

I'm currently living short temish in the UK so most stuff is hand me downs from various companies. both PC's, laptop, 24 port switch from 1, LCD from another.
Also got a full length rack mount 3-Comm 8 port switch and another 2 laptops from another site as well as a Cisco 2500 & 2600 router, not sure why yet??

Man only just found this forum and spending wayyy to much time here! this place is awesome, at least I'm not the only one with an unhealthy interest in old hardware.

Attachments

• PC.jpg
    Filename
    PC.jpg
    File size
    48.68 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 225 of 2202, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MaxWar wrote:

-snip-

I would LOVE to have a look at your stone house!

I like your black setup a lot, even though it's not my taste hehe 😜
I like how the colors match

chinny22 wrote:
2 Compaq DC510 P4 2.4Ghz 720MB Ram each, 1 with Win98/2k and CD-RW. The other is my main PC with XP and a 2nd HDD crammed into t […]
Show full quote

2 Compaq DC510 P4 2.4Ghz 720MB Ram each, 1 with Win98/2k and CD-RW. The other is my main PC with XP and a 2nd HDD crammed into the area the PCI cards are sposed to go! everything else stock.

I'm currently living short temish in the UK so most stuff is hand me downs from various companies. both PC's, laptop, 24 port switch from 1, LCD from another.
Also got a full length rack mount 3-Comm 8 port switch and another 2 laptops from another site as well as a Cisco 2500 & 2600 router, not sure why yet??

Man only just found this forum and spending wayyy to much time here! this place is awesome, at least I'm not the only one with an unhealthy interest in old hardware.

Welcome to Vogons, where people come to enjoy pictures of seas of old "junk" instead of the real ones! 😁

I started with just hand-me-downs myself, along with stuff I found while dumpsterdiving. My collection is big but it's over 9 years in the making (next year = 10 year party? 😁).
If you want to, you could check out my "new to retro computer" link in my sig but perhaps you're not really new to using old hardware anymore 😜

When I started my hardware wasn't retro, but just old. It became retro all by itself 😁

Last edited by Tetrium on 2011-08-30, 18:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 226 of 2202, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

-double-

Can't delete double posts anymore? There isn't one made after this one at time of writing?

Report spammers here!

Reply 227 of 2202, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is where I spend most of my time:
img0038xk.jpg

img0045xt.jpg

My time machine: (that flat screen thing is NOT mine ofcourse)
img0040xh.jpg

Close up, nothing special really:
img0041xzi.jpg

Amstrad/Schneider CPC and some other junk:
img0046xj.jpg

Reply 229 of 2202, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I really like the space and light in your computer area!!
Wish I had a setup like that but I got too much junk and not enough spare -BIG- rooms 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 230 of 2202, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Wish I had a setup like that but I got too much junk and not enough spare -BIG- rooms 😜

Same for me, sometimes i feel like i live in a warehouse 😜

Reply 231 of 2202, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MaxWar wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Same for me, sometimes i feel like i live in a warehouse 😜

LMAO! 😜

And it's not just parts, I had no less then 8(!!) chairs and a couch in the living room. But I'm down to only 5 chairs now hehe 😁 (and around 10 working computers 😵 ).

Actually, I should take a pic of the closet I bought recently. It's sole function is to get my unused computer stuff out of sight when I'm not using it. The closet is 100% wood 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 232 of 2202, by SiBurning

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's a behind the scenes look. Unfortunately, just dismantled this weekend. Four boxen, all networked and on a KVM. Plus full connections for a laptop.

• dual athlon / xp
  • celery 300a / win98
  • celery 300a / freebsd
  • k6-233 / dos 5

Attachments

• cable3.jpg
    Filename
    cable3.jpg
    File size
    108.41 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by SiBurning on 2011-09-07, 23:25. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 233 of 2202, by SiBurning

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oops! How do I delete a double post? 😳 (Had even more trouble with the attachment, but... eventually...)

Well, since I wasted a post, may as well unwaste it by showing the other side of the room.

Attachments

• lab.overview.jpg
    Filename
    lab.overview.jpg
    File size
    52.47 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    My electronics lab
    File license

Reply 234 of 2202, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Ha! you should've seen it before I cleaned up 🤣 There was a huge pile of junk behind me, about where the keyboard is standing now. I dumped about half of it upstairs and threw the other half away.

MaxWar wrote:

I like how the chair drew a pac man shape on the floor.

Oh, and nice retro oscilloscope!

I hate that actually, cheap cardboard floor.
The scope is a Hameg HM312-8 in case you were wondering 😉

SiBurning wrote:

Oops! How do I delete a double post? 😳 (Had even more trouble with the attachment, but... eventually...)

Well, since I wasted a post, may as well unwaste it by showing the other side of the room.

Nice equipment you got there 😳

Reply 235 of 2202, by SiBurning

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The tragedy is I hardly use the electronics equipment these days. That picture has about half of my soldering gear. Just google collect soldering stations and you'll find my posts. (Does that mean I'm the only person that collects them?) There's also about 15 Tektronix mainframe modules and 3 portable "suitcase" TM-505 things, and that piece cut out off the right of the photograph is a 485 scope. A couple years back I melted the board coating while desoldering a chip and bought a stereo microscope to see the damage, and since then, microscopes has become my new hobby. Have over a dozen in various states of working or restoration.

Last edited by SiBurning on 2011-09-08, 16:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 237 of 2202, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SiBurning wrote:

The tragedy is I hardly use the electronics equipment these days. That picture has about half of my soldering gear. Just google collect soldering stations and you'll find my posts. (Does that mean I'm the only person that collects them?) There's also about 15 Tektronix mainframe modules and 3 portable "suitcase" TM-505 things, and that piece cut out off the right of the photograph is a 485 scope. A couple years back I melted the board coating while desoldering a chip and bought a stereo microscope to see the damage, and since then, microscopes has become my new hobby. Have over a dozen in various states of working or restoration.

I was planning on getting a Stereo microscope for electonics, last year i bought a Sovietic Lomo-1 Stereo-microscope, USSR lab surplus. Bought it from Ukraine. Optic is pretty good, or at least not bad, but it has a fair amount of overall wear and tear.

Pro: Historical collector value, descent optics, has that badass "mad scientist" look you've always wanted.

Cons: Narrow fov, inverted image.

Reply 238 of 2202, by SiBurning

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Inverted stereo seems unusual. I bought a nice Meiji, but then was afraid to solder under it, so I bought a second cheaper turret (non zoom) model specifically for working under. The original is still good for inspection, especially with the MA571 Oblique View Attachment that lets you see things from an angle, not just straight down. example picture Don't know the policy here, but there's some of those attachments on an auction site right now, and they come up pretty rarely. Unfortunately, they're probably only good on one particular series of Meiji scopes. It's nothing more than a rotating mirror that can be moved in or out of the way.