VOGONS

Common searches

VIDEO - Direct3D patch (Host)

Topic actions

Reply 140 of 173, by dosmax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recently I tried to combine two shaders (by copying over code of one shader to another and adding it as a second pass) and failed miserably. Since I don't have the time and energy to really learn this, I'd like to propose a new feature for the d3d patch that might be interesting not only for me (and shouldn't be too hard to implement for people who know what they do):

Filter chaining, or the ability to define two or more filters that are executed after each other.

Would be really nice to have.

Reply 142 of 173, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At 2560x1600 8x scaling would be just want I'd want for 320x200 games. I'm able to achieve such in the current DOSBox to a limited degree by combining scalers with shaders (i.e. Super2xSAI scaler+GS4xHqFilter shader).

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 143 of 173, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is it me, or does this cool CRT.d3d.fx introduce input latency?

because other than the input problem, this is the BEST OUTPUT MODE EVER so far. though scanlines don't bend for me

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 144 of 173, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I assume you've already tried messing with the CURVATURE and distortion settings in the .fx?

haven't noticed any lagging input myself, and yeah this shader is badass. Major fan of how 640x200 modes actually get 200 scanlines (as opposed to 400 w/ some of the internal scalers...)

Since the curvature already causes areas outside of the screen to be shown, i wonder how complicated it would be to use this area for overscan/border color?

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 145 of 173, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CPU & GPU specs? The shader hits GPU pretty hard and since D3D output is threaded, it can lag 1 frame behind (it syncs at the start of the next frame, so Direct3D has time from the end of the frame until the next one to actually draw the image).

@VileRancour: I guess it shouldn't be that hard. D3D uses texture border color at the top and left edges and unwritten texture space (if the texture is larger than Dosbox framebuffer) on the right and bottom. I guess you could set both of these to overscan color...

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 146 of 173, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tried messing around with the shader, putting in MCHerc.fx's alpha fade into it

I know nothing of HLSL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz0o4KbnNIw

Attachments

• Filename
    CRThack.txt
    File size
    10.68 KiB
    Downloads
    91 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 147 of 173, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

in principle, would it be possible to adapt something like MAME's newfangled HLSL pixelshader for CRT simulation?

I don't know a damn thing about workin' this sort of juju, but it's got them PERSISTENT PHOSPHORS! and shadow-mask effect using .pngs! (amongst other things)

Reply 148 of 173, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

MAME HLSL fx files seem pretty simple (as in readable code) they should be mostly compatible apart from different variable names (MAME has TargetWidth/TargetHeight, dosbox has TexelSize/SourceDims) which need to be set by the application.
A different thing is how this effects are applied...does MAME support multiple effect chained in the rendering process? The current D3D patch only supports a single effect...

Reply 149 of 173, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

oh... yeah, looks like they are stored in multiple .fx files and then chained according to the hlsl configuration in the .ini. Though I haven't had the chance to actually test this thing myself yet.

Reply 150 of 173, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm moving and unfortunately I won't be able to take my Iiyama 19" CRT with me. Plus it started flickering and the image can't be stretched to full width anymore. This is it I guess, sigh...
I took some time to try to improve the crt shader to get as close as effect as possible. I already knew that with default settings the scanlines are much too wide from what my 19" CRT shows. I tried modifying the shader but setting scaler=normal2x (thus increasing the source resolution from 320x200 to 640x400) makes it look almost perfect in regard to the scanline width. 640x480 and 800x600 are also pretty close (using 24" LCD with 1920x1200 fullresolution in dosbox) in Duke3D so I'm happy for now. Here are some pictures for reference 😁

Attachments

• Filename
    iiyama-vm-450pro-1.jpg
    File size
    2.17 MiB
    Downloads
    39 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    iiyama-vm-450pro-2.jpg
    File size
    1.71 MiB
    Downloads
    45 downloads
    File license

Reply 151 of 173, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wonder if the D3D patch could add 3d model support, as in displaying the screen to a specific texture a (obj format) model could map to (kinda like mame overlays but a bit more realistic). Could go the extra mile and model that very monitor you're abandnoning too for the more 'virtual reminiscence' aspect 😀

I know the feeling of losing a dying CRT. Especially if the manufacturer is obscure enough to not being able to find a replacement on ebay 🙁

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 152 of 173, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What exactly do you mean? Like drawing the case of the monitor around the image? Nah, I'm not that nostalgic 😁

But ripsaw8080 mentioned on the previous page that the pixelshader does not bend pixels only scanlines. It would be possible to do a more complex geometry of the texture (instead of a simple quad) to really bend it in the corners. But then again, my CRT was Trinitron (Diamondtron actually) so the screen curvature was not that apparent. Before this one I had a 15" Sony which was again a Trinitron...I also remember the first time I saw a Trinitron it could almost be seen as if the image was bent in the other direction (I don't see this effect anymore...either I got used to it or the LCD seems similar to that and I really got used to it). Again the CRT.fx does not perform well since it will cut off parts of the image if curvature distortion is negative...

Reply 153 of 173, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As requested by Targaff in the OpenGL thread, a D3D port of OpenGL dot'n'bloom shader. Not really thoroughly tested, but seems fine from the look of it 😁

Reply 154 of 173, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not exactly sure what it's supposed to simulate, looks interesting though.. nice work!

For the next time you feel like porting a shader, how about CRT-Simple? might not look as nice for higher source resolutions, but maybe some older cards (ok, my older cards) won't choke on it so much...

Reply 155 of 173, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

gulikoza <3 That is sweet, thank you! Not sure what it is about this particular look but I find it really appealing. Here's a pic of me being crap at Worms but looking pretty while losing.

Attachments

• Filename
    worms_dnb.jpg
    File size
    219.9 KiB
    Downloads
    43 downloads
    File license

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 156 of 173, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VileRancour wrote:

For the next time you feel like porting a shader, how about CRT-Simple? might not look as nice for higher source resolutions, but maybe some older cards (ok, my older cards) won't choke on it so much...

Sure 😉 The code is very similar to the CRT shader so I just compared the two...not tested much, but I haven't spotted any obvious mistakes...

Today is exactly 1 year since I finished the CRT shader 🤣

Reply 157 of 173, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Excellent, thanks!

Curiously, I don't think I see much of a performance improvement over CRT.d3d.fx, but this needs some more testing on this end.

Reply 158 of 173, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In yhkwong's build I notice the performance really drops if I keep switching between CRT shaders. Memory leak somewhere?

I also noticed CRT-simple doesn't darken darker colors so much as the CRT shader. Quake looks better on it 😁

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 159 of 173, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's a screenshot of the latest CRT shader I've ported to D3D (source was CRT-geom-interlaced-curved.shader [2012/02/06], but the interlaced effects have been removed as D3D patch does not support that at the moment). This is the first run it showed something so I haven't checked it all yet. I've added some things to D3D patch (the previous CRT shader might not be entirely correct as input image dimensions were not passed to the shaders and it had to do calculations without it) so you'll have to wait until I release the update to the patch 😀

edit: the next version of the patch will also support forcing full updates from the shader, so the alpha-feedback shaders (as posted by leileilol above) will work correctly.

Attachments

• Filename
    CRT-geom-curved.png
    File size
    1.06 MiB
    Downloads
    50 downloads
    File license