VOGONS

Common searches

Heretic 2 crashes

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just tested this game using:
Virtual PC running Windows 95
Virtual PC running Windows 98
An actual Windows 98 system
An actual Windows XP system

Occasionally I could start a new game but this is rare. Usually it crashes when on the loading screen for the first level before the bar moves. No error message. This happens with versions 1.00 and 1.06.

Yet I can play through the tutorial with no problem. This lead to an idea. Enter the tutorial, then start a new game. I have been able to play through the first level, consistently, without crashing.

I need some people to test this out and reports back whether it works.

Additionally in Virtual PC the intro videos stutter but I don't think that can be helped.

Last edited by SKARDAVNELNATE on 2011-11-09, 05:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 29, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

XP system: nvidia GeForce 8800GTX
98 system: nvidia GeForce Ti 4200

I didn't do anything extra. I just installed the game and ran it the way I would any other. Used default settings so whatever graphics renderer the game was already set to upon installing. I did notice the sound cut out a few times, this was fixed by changing the sound quality.

Reply 3 of 29, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try renaming (or temporarily removing) A3DSnd.dll and EAXSnd.dll in the game directory. My understanding is that the EAX DLL is an ancient Version 1.0 implementation driver that tends to cause no end of problems. By renaming or removing these DLLs, it forces the game to look for system DirectX drivers that actually match your audio hardware.

Reply 5 of 29, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC Heretic 2 uses the Quake 2 engine which defaults to the software renderer on first load.

It will look ALOT better if you use the OGL renderer.

I've never had any issues with it crashing. (except for the extension issue limit with newer drivers for all Q2 engine game)

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 29, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I run this on my Win98 SE w/ti4200 without any issues. I've played a good several hours into it as well.

I recommend the following drivers for your ti4200:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_45.23.html

Reply 10 of 29, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"I'm willing to take your word for it, but is there any particular reason that you chose that version? Just curious."

It's the very last "Detonator" driver released. For anything below an FX card I have found them to be the most compatible drivers for software fitting that time frame.

Using newer drivers above that, Forceware etc...I found issues with transparencies, texture corruption and incorrect colors. Not all at once but with different games.

Last edited by Shagittarius on 2011-11-09, 02:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 29, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Going through another round of tests on my XP system.

Renamed A3DSnd.dll and EAXSnd.dll, still crashes.
Removed A3DSnd.dll and EAXSnd.dll from the Heretic II folder, still crashes.
rename Heretic2.exe to mohaa.exe (why that name?), still crashes.

DosFreak wrote:

It will look ALOT better if you use the OGL renderer.

I have 5 renderer options:
Software, OpenGL32, 3DfxGL_htz, G200GL, and Veritegl
OpenGL32 does look better. The others each revert back to Software.

Installed nGlide. 3DfxGL_htz now stays set but it still crashes.

So far the only thing that does work is to start a game while in the tutorial level.

Reply 13 of 29, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What sound cards? Sound Blaster Live (Value) is known not to play nice with nvidia drivers depending on the slot it's in. Had that problem myself.

How much ram, what version of directx, any extensions in win98 like kernelex, is it win98 or SE, what motherboard/chipset, Intel or AMD cpu.

Crashes how?

mohaa.exe is Medal Of Honor Allied Assault, and the drivers have a tweak just to make that game function properly when it's detected running, and it works for other games too.

Reply 15 of 29, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RoyBatty wrote:

What sound cards? Sound Blaster Live (Value) is known not to play nice with nvidia drivers depending on the slot it's in. Had that problem myself.

Both actual systems have integrated audio. Virtual PC 2007 has whatever it has.

RoyBatty wrote:

How much ram, what version of directx, any extensions in win98 like kernelex, is it win98 or SE, what motherboard/chipset, Intel or AMD cpu.

I don't think that makes a difference since it happens in 4 test cases. 4 different amounts of RAM, 2 different DirectX versions, 3 different operating systems, motherboards, chipsets, and processors.

RoyBatty wrote:

Crashes how?

As stated in the first post it crashes when on the loading screen for the first level before the bar moves. No error message.

leileilol wrote:

There's a Paletted Textures option in the Video menu. Turn that off.

That option doesn't show when using software renderer. I tried disabling it with OpenGL32 set and it still crashed.

Reply 17 of 29, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess it crashes because has depend on intro videos maybe u need to try remove *.smk files or add this if not exist.
or start tutorial playing
press ~ (tilde) o open console and write:
map ssdocks
This will load ssdocks map, the first map of that game.

https://www.youtube.com/user/whitemagicraven
https://go.twitch.tv/whitemagicraventv

Reply 18 of 29, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RaVeN-05 wrote:

I guess it crashes because has depend on intro videos maybe u need to try remove *.smk files or add this if not exist.

I don't think so since the intro video plays all the way through.

Here's the order of events:
Start the program
Activision video
Raven video
Heretic II video
Menu screen
Select Game
Select difficulty
Intro video

Either watch or interrupt, same result. Then the map of Pathoris loading screen comes up. Next a dialog box opens that says "Heretic2 has encountered a problem and needs to close". "Send Error Report" or "Don't Send".

RaVeN-05 wrote:
or start tutorial playing press ~ (tilde) o open console and write: map ssdocks This will load ssdocks map, the first map of tha […]
Show full quote

or start tutorial playing
press ~ (tilde) o open console and write:
map ssdocks
This will load ssdocks map, the first map of that game.

I can open the console right from the menu:
Start the program
Activision video
Raven video
Heretic II video
Menu screen
Press ~ (tilde)
map ssdocks

Some messages go by and the first level begins with Corvus stepping from the portal.
However, this bypasses the intro video and I don't know which difficulty it started the game on.

Here's the order of events I suggested:
Start the program
Activision video
Raven video
Heretic II video
Menu screen
Select Game
Select Tutorial
Press Escape
Menu screen
Select Game
Select difficulty
Intro video

Either watch or interrupt. Then the map of Pathoris loading screen comes up. The bar at the bottom left fills and the first level begins with Corvus stepping from the portal. Basically everything it should do just with an extra step.

Reply 19 of 29, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

strange game worked fine for me in w9x, gf4200ti
xp, vista 8800gts + gtx260
windows 7 ati 6950
did you patch to Heretic II enhancement pack patch 1.06
I would reinstall

ps: I think I used the nhancer fix with nviida cards because of the opengl extension limit bug (fix for ati is to rename the exe to quake2.exe)

nhamcer fix detailed here (for anachronox but its the same)
How to Run Anachronox on XP

if nhancer doesnt work for you try
install nVidia Inspector and add your "anox.exe" to the "Quake 2" profile. To access profiles, click the small "tools" button that appears besides your driver version on Inspector.

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness