VOGONS

First post, by Alastre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys, I couldn't get to make this game work with VDMSound , so I've downloaded Dosbox and now works ok. There's just a little problem,I can't run it in full screen but just in window mode. So I have to use DosBox without use doboxfro...the problem is that yes,the game works and the music too but...the game is SOOOOOOOO slow!!! Unbelivable...it's a shame coz it's not playable in this way...start a new game take about 4 minutes and when you are in, the units on the ground goes slooooooooowly! I have win XP pro, athlonxp2400+ ati9700 pro, etc etc etc..enought to make it run fine i think!!! Thank you in advance!!

Reply 1 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

try pressing ctrl + f12 a few times. with your systemspecs more than a few 😉

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

yes. You will notice in the title bar that cpu cycles changes
this is the speed dosbox operates at (it's not directly related to MHz though)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 11, by quasarstrider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have WinXP, a slower Athlon than you have and onboard graphics. MoM runs fine and fast here.
Just press CTRL+F12 to speed up and CTRL+F11 to speed down. When the sound effects start stuttering, it is time to stop speeding up.

Reply 8 of 11, by jurgen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It may also help if you set
scaler=none
in the config file,
this helps if the game runs at 320x200 resolution, then switch to full screen (Alt-Enter).
Also, try using General MIDI for music instead of adlib/sound blaster, this may save a few %cpu. (I feel like I'm repeating myself 😀 )