VOGONS

First post, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

no article so i'm just going to link to the repository tree where you can snag it.

https://github.com/TTimo/doom3.gpl

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 1 of 5, by The Gecko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And an article to go with it.

Interesting bit about them having to do some emergency re-coding to avoid possible patent issues.

If all else fails, use fire.

Reply 2 of 5, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Says here

http://www.shacknews.com/article/71134/doom-3 … k-rewrites-code

that the new algorithm puts a drag on performance when run on 2004 hardware because it has to do twice as much work to achieve the same results as the previous code. If you're trying to run this version on older hardware, you may not like the performance compared to the original. You're probably going to be better off paying for it if you need to run it on old hardware.

Reply 3 of 5, by The Gecko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I derive a sort of twisted amusement out of the fact that the algorithm is largely known as "Carmack's Reverse", but Carmack himself can't actually publish it because of software patents.

And of course, (assuming it was patented in 2004), it'll be 2024 before anyone can start using it, at which point it will almost certainly be completely irrelevant, because 20 years is eons in computer-land (the widescale adoption of internet use by the public is significantly younger than 20 years)

If all else fails, use fire.

Reply 4 of 5, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It doesn't exactly say that is does indeed drag on performance. It would have back then, but there may be alternatives nowdays and knowing Carmack, he would choose to implement the best alternative.

Reply 5 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Gecko wrote:

And of course, (assuming it was patented in 2004)

It was patented in 1998 I believe.

Didn't Creative have a special (but broken) 3D Blaster TNT Unreal driver with "Carmack's Reverse" shadows?

apsosig.png
long live PCem