VOGONS

Dune 2

Topic actions

First post, by thug

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi i've downloaded dosbox .60 and i have the game dune2 and it runs like crap. ive tried to speed it up by frames and crl 12 but it doesnt help. if i turn off the sound i works a little better but still freezes and pretty much everytime i play the game it freezes and i have to restart the computer. i only downloaded the dosbox for dune2 and i cant play it. im running win 98 pentium 3 600 mhz and i think that should be able to handle this game. please help with step by step info if possible.

Reply 1 of 11, by hcarty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dosbox emulates everything for the game(s) you run, so it eats up a ton of computer power. My p3-900 laptop can run dune2 under dosbox, but that's approaching the limits of what it's able to do. This is under linux, I dunno if linux vs windows makes any difference in dosbox's speed.

I've been following the last few releases, and they've been getting steadily faster. You may just have to wait for a newer release. You could also try the cvs builds linked to in one of the threads on the forum here. They may give you a speed boost.

Good luck, and I hope this helps,
Hez

Reply 2 of 11, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The difference in speed between Win9x and Linux, based on my experience, is dependent on the kernel version. For example, using the 2.4 kernel on my 450MHz Celeron laptop, ZSNES runs at half framerate, but using Win98SE it runs at full framerate. Just a little unscientific antecdote. I imagine it would work just splendidly with kernel revision 2.2.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 11, by thug

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i wish i could just play this one game. DUNE2
i need it to work for windows 98 system and i dont know why it wont work. i dont know what to do with cvs since there just other peoples add ons, or where to download it or how to configure it. ive got dosbox .60 and i can download all of the add ons listed above the windows .60 download to it, but not knowing where to install them doesnt help. please help. when i start the game it loads the level plays the sound fine but moves slow, so speeding up the games messes up the sound, so then i turned off the sound play the game and it crashes the whole computer. 😠 help,

Reply 4 of 11, by teamster1975

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Your computer probably isn't fast enough to run Dune 2 in dosbox.
As you're running Windows 98, why don't you create a boot disk to run the game?
You could also try the Alpha version of VDMsound for Win98 (Link in VDMsound forum)
Either that or get a copy of Dune 2000 which is the revamped native windows version, in Game for £5
Showing a mad smilie isn't the best way to approach people for help 😉

Reply 5 of 11, by icemann

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Er, Dune 2 works in Win98SE. I have Win98SE myself and have played Dune 2 several times without any problems at all.

And if it doesn`t work for you in Win98SE but works in dosbox, be happy that it works atleast. In time it will run better, but you`ll just have to learn to be patient in the mean time. And if you can't handle that, then you`ll just have to run out and buy Dune2000 (which is a bloody great game anyway).

Two stones, two crosses, the rest is just icing. - 7th Guest

Reply 7 of 11, by thug

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

whats compatiblity mode?, how can i use that. also i was able to download the game and dos box to a different computer with xp pent 4 and i works fine, but im still stuck on tring to make it work for my 98 pent 3, it just crashes and it sucks