VOGONS

First post, by Dark Knight ez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i'm currently playing Gabriel Knight 2 (the dos-version) using dosbox.
i didn't need to alter the config-file like with Gabriel Knight 1, and all seemed to work fine (except for the sound-files not running entirely in sync with the movies), until i got to chapter 2 (CD2).
from that moment on, there are times when sound-files don't play... sometimes it depends on the location (e.g. no speech when checking out inventory items and the flower in Rittersberg, near the church) and sometimes it is not (e.g. it occured sometimes when talking to Gerde too).

this is, of course, quite depressing... since i'm pretty sure i'll be missing out on a lot of story-elements, especially since there are no subtitles for this game.

anyway, my question is, does anyone know what could be causing these problems? and if so... how to fix it?

Reply 2 of 11, by Dark Knight ez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

already set it on the fastest amount of cycles my pc can handle,
but i guess i'll try frame skipping as well then.

anyway, i'm not sure that'll do the trick...
it might get the sound more in sync with the movies, but getting sound to at least run wherever it should?
thanks for the suggestion... i'll give it a try and i'll let you know how it turned out.

EDIT:
the frame skipping made the sound run in sync with the movies...
however, the occasional "no sound" seems to be as random as ever. i'll just be playing some pieces twice to make sure i heard all there is to hear, i guess.

Last edited by Dark Knight ez on 2003-11-21, 11:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 11, by DaimlerT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi,
maybe your cd is scratched or something. I only have a poor version of the 5th cd, because I bought it second hand @ebworld on one of my trips to america about 3 years ago... so you might want to install the game to your hard drive completely and see if the problem persists. i installed it that way, so if you could send me a save game (of the screwed up portion) or attach it to this thread in zipped form, I can check if it runs smoothly on my config, and if it does, I can tell you what i did to make it run....
greetz,
dt

Reply 4 of 11, by Dark Knight ez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks, but that's not quite what i ment.
the suddenly "no sound" issue only happens randomly and not very often.
when i play the same part again (same movie, or click the same object), i usually _do_ hear the sound that time.
it's just very random... i don't think it's got to do with scratches or faulty CDs or anything.

anyway, since it doesn't occur much lately, i'm not really bothered.
thanks for your offer on testing it, though.

Reply 6 of 11, by Dark Knight ez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i see... and that'd mean that the problem would be
solved if i'd have a faster CPU, right?

hmm... if that's the case, would running dosbox at less
cycles help? i mean, it'd leave more CPU power left to
handle the interrupts, right?

Reply 7 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well as long as you aren't maxed out there is enough time left.
but don't try to be an exact 100 % user.
70 % is quite safe.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 8 of 11, by Dark Knight ez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i used 90%, guess that's my problem. ;p
did that to synchronize the movies with the sound more,
without having to resort to frame skip.
thanks for the enlightenment though.... faster pc = better.

Reply 9 of 11, by xandman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When did GK2 stop running in Windows? - in runs fine on my WIN98 and ive read its cool on later versions too. Try running directly from windows but bypassing the memory detection stuff in the setup, it should then install and run fine without any extra software, then again it could have stopped running with the latest windows version, or u could have a dos only version.

Reply 10 of 11, by Dark Knight ez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

you're right, there is a windows-version too.
however, as with GK1, GK2 also experiences lots of bugs using the windows-version.
don't ask me why, but i guess Sierra never really managed to get _all_ the bugs out of their windows-versions.
i ran the game in dos(box) to make sure i wouldn't encounter a bug (which made the game uncompleteable).

Reply 11 of 11, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know when I played Lighthouse a bit ago I had to run it in NTVDM because their Windows interpreter was b0rked. It's unfortunate. Hopefully FreeSCI will continue to be worked on.

Yes, it’s my fault.