My vote for worst goes to Hackers.

Best goes to Sneakers.

Reply 3 of 21, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The Net with Sandra Bullock.

And my all time favorite - Independance Day! The computer virus thing that infects the alien computers is just ridiculous...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 21, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In one of the Matrix movies they hack a power station using NMAP and an SSH exploit.....

A scene about two thirds of the way through the film finds Carrie-Anne Moss's leather-clad superhacker setting her sights on a p […]
Show full quote

A scene about two thirds of the way through the film finds Carrie-Anne Moss's leather-clad superhacker setting her sights on a power grid computer, for plot reasons better left unrevealed.

But at exactly the point where audiences would normally be treated to a brightly-colored graphical cartoon of a computer intrusion, ala the 2001 Travolta vehicle Swordfish, or cheer as the protagonist skillfully summons a Web browser and fights valiantly through "404 Errors," like the malnourished cyberpunk in this year's "The Core," something completely different happens: Trinity runs "Nmap."

Probably the most widely-used freeware hacking tool, the real-life Nmap is a sophisticated port scanner that sends packets to a machine -- or a network of machines -- in an attempt to determine what services are running. An Nmap port scan is a common prelude to an intrusion attempt -- a way of casing the joint, to find out if any vulnerable service are running.

That's exactly how the fictional Trinity uses it. In a sequence that flashes on screen for a few scant seconds, the green phosphor text of Trinity's computer clearly shows Nmap being run against the IP address 10.2.2.2, and finding an open port number 22, correctly identified as the SSH service used to log into computers remotely.

"I was definitely pretty excited when I saw it," says "Fyodor," the 25-year-old author of Nmap. "I think compared to previous movies that had any kind of hacking content, you could generally assume it's going to be some kind of stupid 3D graphics show."

But the unexpected nod to hackerdom doesn't end there. Responding to the Nmap output , Trinity summons a program called "sshnuke" which begins "[a]ttempting to exploit SSHv1 CRC32."

Discovered in February, 2001 by security analyst Michal Zalewski, the SSH CRC-32 bug is a very real buffer overflow in a chunk of code designed to guard against cryptographic attacks on SSH version one. Properly exploited, it grants full remote access to the vulnerable machine.

more info http://marv.kordix.com/archives/000123.html

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 7 of 21, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm for worst I think Die Hard 4 sticks out to me because all computers contain C4 which can be remotely activated apparently or at least thats what I think supposedly happened.

I enjoyed the portrayal of hacking in War Games though I can't remember how realistic it was and I don't think I've seen the whole thing.

Reply 8 of 21, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh wow, yeah, I can't believe I forgot about Jurassic Park and Independence Day. However, in Jurassic Park, the computers were shown as running a buggy, bloated and overly bureaucratic security system which is done in real life; just with less silly interface and less blinking lights. I guess the Independence Day example could actually happen if we ever get invaded by aliens who use Macs and egg timers to coordinate their attacks.

Reply 9 of 21, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
McMick wrote:

Weird Science has my vote. The work they did in that movie produced results you'll never get in real life.

You had the bra on your head backwards. Try it the other way round 😉
My girl is sitting next to me on the couch...

Reply 10 of 21, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think Masterminds should get an honourable mention for one of the stupidest hacking sequences ever in a movie, even though it's right at the beginning and the rest of the movie isn't really about computers. :P

Basically, a kid tries to pirate an unreleased game and the "hack" requires him to navigate some 3D thing within a certain time limit before his super-multi-turbo-proxied connection is traced back to him. To add further insult to hackers everywhere, he somehow had a phone-line connection going that was WAY faster than 56K baud... I forget the exact number, I just remember almost yelling at the movie. XD

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 12 of 21, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote:

I think Masterminds should get an honourable mention for one of the stupidest hacking sequences ever in a movie, even though it's right at the beginning and the rest of the movie isn't really about computers. 😜

Basically, a kid tries to pirate an unreleased game and the "hack" requires him to navigate some 3D thing within a certain time limit before his super-multi-turbo-proxied connection is traced back to him.

That reminds me of Cyberspace in System Shock. Although it wasn't a movie its idea of hacking was very hollywood-ish. Still an excellent game though !

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 13 of 21, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ncmark wrote:

How about Jurassic Park - when the little girl says "I know this - it's a UNIX system." Yeah, right.

But it actually was UNIX - IRIX on an SGI Crimson with FSN.

http://www.sgistuff.net/funstuff/hollywood/jpark.html

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 17 of 21, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When it comes to Hollywood and Computing, nothing irritates me more than the pseudo sound effects that accompany the part where they show the computer/super computer/laptop screens with moving numbers, tracking scanners, the noise when zooming in on a part of face or something, etc.....it's just plain annoying. Not to mention, some movies even portray the time bombs, with audible neet--neet--neet (or toot--toot--toot)sounds when they zoom in the camera to the time bomb's counter display.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 19 of 21, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The best part of any movie is when they have a scene where they take a screenshot of a video, let's say a security camera, and have magical software the can enhance the image 10 times so somehow a fuzzy out of focus image is zoomed in and becomes focused and clear as day.