Common searches

D-Fend Reloaded (DOSBox frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 1640 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Using dos32a was supported by other frontends when D-Fend Reloaded was new. So I added this function to DFR, too. It's just an option on the memory page of the profile editor (which is off by default). As long as using dos32a is not damaging the computers of the DFR users I won't remove this option.

Reply 1641 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

trying to select a MIDI interface

Do you mean clicking the "Select MIDI device from device manager" button on the MIDI page of the profile editor?

As a first workaround you can get a list of MIDI devices available inside DOSBox from the DOSBox command line by typing "mixer /LISTMIDI". (That's also what DFR does when clicking the select MIDI device button.) If you just enter the name of the device you want to use from this list in the "Additional settings" field on the MIDI page of the profile editor it will be exactly the same as if you would have clicked the select button.

Reply 1643 of 2280, by pedrorq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Alexander wrote:

Do you mean clicking the "Select MIDI device from device manager" button on the MIDI page of the profile editor?

Correct. 😀

Alexander wrote:

As a first workaround you can get a list of MIDI devices available inside DOSBox from the DOSBox command line by typing "mixer /LISTMIDI". (That's also what DFR does when clicking the select MIDI device button.)

Thanks I didn't know this! When I do this, I get the Midisport listed, which is correct!

Alexander wrote:

If you just enter the name of the device you want to use from this list in the "Additional settings" field on the MIDI page of the profile editor it will be exactly the same as if you would have clicked the select button.

This is where it, unfortunately, crashes. Writing the name of the device on the "Additional settings" field (or, in fact, any value at all, like ABC123) and then trying to start the game, D-Fend crashes.

Also, if I write the name of the device and then, for example, click on Tools --> View DOSBox Conf file, D-Fend crashes as well.

Is there anyway I can:
a) See a log to find out how or why it crashed?
b) Delete anything from D-Fend Reloaded\Settings folder to "reconfigure" the software?

Thanks in advance, Alexander!

Reply 1644 of 2280, by pedrorq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pedrorq wrote:
Correct. :) […]
Show full quote
Alexander wrote:

Correct. 😀

Alexander wrote:

As a first workaround you can get a list of MIDI devices available inside DOSBox from the DOSBox command line by typing "mixer /LISTMIDI". (That's also what DFR does when clicking the select MIDI device button.)

Thanks I didn't know this! When I do this, I get the Midisport listed, which is correct!

Alexander wrote:

If you just enter the name of the device you want to use from this list in the "Additional settings" field on the MIDI page of the profile editor it will be exactly the same as if you would have clicked the select button.

This is where it, unfortunately, crashes. Writing the name of the device on the "Additional settings" field (or, in fact, any value at all, like ABC123) and then trying to start the game, D-Fend crashes.

Also, if I write the name of the device and then, for example, click on Tools --> View DOSBox Conf file, D-Fend crashes as well.

Is there anyway I can:
a) See a log to find out how or why it crashed?
b) Delete anything from D-Fend Reloaded\Settings folder to "reconfigure" the software?

Thanks in advance, Alexander!

To answer my own question:
Uninstalling, removing the D-Fend Reloaded config folder (including the Settings folder) and installing again fixed the issue. Perhaps something went corrupt there?

Alexander if you ever want my settings folder to test any possible existing bug, please let me know.

Thanks once again!

Reply 1645 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi pedrorq,

I think I have found the cause for the problem. Both, the "Select MIDI device" function and also the DOSBox conf file creator (which is ran when starting DOSBox and also when viewing the conf file) when having entered a value in the "Additional (MIDI) settings" field, are running a temporary profile for getting the list of MIDI device names and ids. This temporary profile is derivated from the default template (see Extras|Templates). Many functions (the quick starter, the installation support, many functions for creating images etc.) use temporary profiles and all of them correctly set up the drives to be used in DOSBox - only the function for getting the MIDI devices is a bit sloppy and requires at least one drive record set up in the default template. (It's overwriting the record in the temporary profile but requires that there is at least one record.) So if you have removed the default drive record in the default template the get MIDI devices function will crash in 1.2.1. Of course this will be fixed in 1.3.

D-Fend Reloaded can log what exactly happens when you run a game. The logging function was intended for speed measuring and therefore will not write the results to disk before starting DOSBox is done. Because DFR is crashing before DOSBox starts, this won't help you. You can activate DOSBox start-up logging by adding the line "DOSBoxStartLogging=1" to the [ProgramSets] section of the DFend.ini file located in the folder C:\Users\<YourAccount>\D-Fend Reloaded\Settings\

If adding a drive record to the default template (editable via Extras|Templates) will help you, this would be great (because this would mean I have found the reason).

Reply 1647 of 2280, by pedrorq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Alexander wrote:
Hi pedrorq, […]
Show full quote

Hi pedrorq,

I think I have found the cause for the problem. Both, the "Select MIDI device" function and also the DOSBox conf file creator (which is ran when starting DOSBox and also when viewing the conf file) when having entered a value in the "Additional (MIDI) settings" field, are running a temporary profile for getting the list of MIDI device names and ids. This temporary profile is derivated from the default template (see Extras|Templates). Many functions (the quick starter, the installation support, many functions for creating images etc.) use temporary profiles and all of them correctly set up the drives to be used in DOSBox - only the function for getting the MIDI devices is a bit sloppy and requires at least one drive record set up in the default template. (It's overwriting the record in the temporary profile but requires that there is at least one record.) So if you have removed the default drive record in the default template the get MIDI devices function will crash in 1.2.1. Of course this will be fixed in 1.3.

D-Fend Reloaded can log what exactly happens when you run a game. The logging function was intended for speed measuring and therefore will not write the results to disk before starting DOSBox is done. Because DFR is crashing before DOSBox starts, this won't help you. You can activate DOSBox start-up logging by adding the line "DOSBoxStartLogging=1" to the [ProgramSets] section of the DFend.ini file located in the folder C:\Users\<YourAccount>\D-Fend Reloaded\Settings\

If adding a drive record to the default template (editable via Extras|Templates) will help you, this would be great (because this would mean I have found the reason).

I'm afraid adding a new drive record to the default template did not fix the issue.

Reply 1648 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@fischkopf11:
There is no default DOSBox release / ykhwong's DOSBox switch in DFR, so there is no need to explicitly add support for "forced" scaling setting in DFR. You can easily add more scaling setting yourself via the setup dialog: Go to setup page Profile editor -> Default values (only visible in advanced mode), select "(DOSBOX) Scale" in the dropdown box and add the values you want to have in the profile editor to the list. The list format is "<Human understandable description> (<official scaler name which will be sent to DOSBox>)".

@pedrorq:
To make things easier for me: Please check again in DFR 1.3b1 when it's released. (I will try to finish 1.3b1 within one or two weeks.) For the moment you can use this as a workaround: If you have found out the id of the MIDI device you want to use (via "mixer /listmidi" on the DOSBox command line), you can go to the "DOSBox settings" page of the profile editor and add these lines to the custom settings field (they are written directly to the conf file):

[midi]
midiconfig=0

where the number after "midiconfig=" is the id you want to use. [Some words why DFR is trying to get the list one each game start: On different systems the same MIDI device can have different numbers. That is why DFR is not storing the id in the profile but the name of the device. But this also means it has to find out the number assigned to the name on each game start.]

Reply 1649 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally I have managed to finish and upload D-Fend Reloaded 1.3b1. Have fun.

(Beta 1 is not feature complete, so if you have any ideas for 1.3 the feature wish list is still opened.)

Reply 1650 of 2280, by skatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, Alexander!
Some troubles creating bootable hd-image:
1. This feature needs file 'grldr' to be copied. This file is absent from FREEDOS folder in zip pakage and in source code package (in NewUseData). Fortunately, in normal installer it is present. (Update installer for now has no FREEDOS folder, hence no problem).

2.While creating bootble image from profile correct game folders are created, but first folder is filled with DOSZip files. (Copying starts now from E: drive, which is mounted to doszip directory, instead of F:).

Reply 1651 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi skatz, thank you for testing, both bugs are fixed now.
And finally I have found out why grldr was missing again: When building the nsis installers and when packing the DFR source using 7zip from the desktop everything was fine, but when using the "make all zip packages" batch file the grldr file was missing, because its not matching the *.* wildcard.

Reply 1652 of 2280, by 001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Feature idea #1:
how about a "Open DosBox Prompt Here" in the right click menu?
Feature idea #2:
when "mounting" archive files, have the option to NOT write the changes back into the file. 😀

Reply 1653 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

#1: Do you mean the Windows Explorer context menu? Adding things to the explorers context menu is a bit tricky and wouldn't be a good idea at least for the portable mode. Additionally the advantage of the option to open any folder from the explorer in DOSBox would be very limited. But there is some quite similar function in D-Fend Reloaded: From the context menu of the quick starter window (View->Quick start or F9) you can open any folder in DOSBox and also directly launch any program directly in DOSBox.
#2: Added to my todo for beta 2.

Reply 1656 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use = D-Fend Reloaded, "v1.3b1", Portable structure.

I have fixed the "French Canada", "French" translation.
1 ) I have fixed "French.ini" file = must be keyboard "FR" instead of keyboard "CF".
2 ) Some typos texts errors.

See files included.

Also i have found some translation text that contain the word "Vista". Did it's old text lines ?

InstallerLanguageInfo=
MainInfoPart1=
InfoVistaCompatible=

Attachments

• Filename
    French Canada.ini
    File size
    138.76 KiB
    Downloads
    270 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    French.ini
    File size
    138.8 KiB
    Downloads
    261 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1657 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi sst, thank you, I have just added your updated language files. But please keep in mind your current language files are only complete for 1.3b1. There will be news strings added in 1.3b2. (That's why I'm usually saying do not start translating beta 1.) The first two of your "Vista" language strings are also changed to "Vista or higher", the third already was "Vista or higher".

And some general status update: "Open DOSBox prompt in program folder" is implemented now. If nobody has any further feature requests, I will close the feature wish list for 1.3 and release 1.3b2 next week.

Reply 1658 of 2280, by T.B.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Alexander wrote:

If nobody has any further feature requests, I will close the feature wish list for 1.3 and release 1.3b2 next week.

Hi Alexander,

I do have a request 😉

I would like to have small flag icons instead of language names in the list details view.
Or maybe as additionally column. Is that possible to implement?