SB 2.0 CT1350 CMS chips dumped

Topic actions

Reply 41 of 468, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maddmaxstar wrote:

Just a heads up, I just got a price quote back from utsource.net, SAA1099P's are 3$ each+shipping and are in stock, plus they take paypal and ship worldwide. Sweet!

Edit: Just ordered a pair, 10$, coming from Singapore. Awesome.

ULTRA-MEGA-SUPER-GARGADUAN thanks for this, for 16$ shipped I got 4 chips 😊
thanks again for the heads up!!!!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 42 of 468, by maddmaxstar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got my SAA1099P's and the GAL today, though I'm having issues getting them to work. The CMS jumper on card appears to be enabled (it's capped), however when launching Monkey Island (using 'monkey g') it sounds like notes are missing, the melody is incomplete.

I've tried swapping 1099's, cleaning the sockets with contact cleaner, and each time it kinda sounds like it's getting better but still missing notes. I wonder if I have a bad SAA1099P on my hands. Has anyone else received theirs? Or has had issues with SAA1099P's before?

= Phenom II X6 1090T(HD4850) =
= K7-550(V3-3000) =
= K6-2+ 500(V3-2000) =
= Pentium 75 Gold(Voodoo1) =
= Am486DX4-120(3DXpression+) =
= TI486DLC-40(T8900D) =
= i386sx-16+i387(T8900D) =

Reply 43 of 468, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried disabling turbo mode/cache?

I'm not familiar with the symptoms of a dodgy SAA1099 chip. I hope the GAL isn't the problem, I tested each one in my own card before I shipped them 😒 I would think you'd get no sound at all if that was the case though.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 44 of 468, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah I doubt too that the Gal is problematic, cms wouldn't work at all if there was a prob with it...
maybe maddmaxstar you do have a problematic SAA chip, do you hear any differences when you swap them?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 45 of 468, by maddmaxstar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not blaming the GAL, I trust your craftsmanship. If anythings wrong, it's either the SAA's or the card itself. I think I was having the same issue with the Turbo off, but I'll try disabling the cache as well. I'm running it in a Ti486DLC-40, wasn't sure if that was fast enough to cause issues, and Adlib sounds fine.

I'll try it before going to work today, and if it's still problematic, I'll take it with me and use the shop compressor to blow out the socket contacts.

= K7-550(V3-3000) =
= K6-2+ 500(V3-2000) =
= TI486DLC-40(T8900D) =

Reply 46 of 468, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And Adlib sounds just fine?

The 2.0 does require a -5V compatible PSU. Ran into this issue with my Super Socket 7 machine because it uses a modern ATX PSU.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 47 of 468, by maddmaxstar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll doublecheck if the PSU has a -5v rail once I get home. I'm fairly certain it does as it's the original PSU from a 1990 286.

Before I left for work, I tried disabling the Cache on the system and disabling the turbo. The system went from sounding like it's hitting 60% of the notes to 95%, but there's still some obvious notes missing. I'm gonna try it in my i386sx I think, just in case there's an issue with using the CMS with a Cyrix CPU.

= K7-550(V3-3000) =
= K6-2+ 500(V3-2000) =
= TI486DLC-40(T8900D) =

Reply 48 of 468, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My chips arrived today. Thanks!

edit: I would also like to add that they work. I have it installed in the SB2.0 in the XT, and I am enjoying some Sierra games in all their CM/S craptacular glory!

Last edited by Anonymous Coward on 2012-02-17, 01:38. Edited 1 time in total.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 49 of 468, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:

There was an Amstrad just like that one on ebay just recently, in Brisbane - I was wondering if it might have been you 😜

Yeah, I saw that one too, I was half-tempted 'til I saw the price.

DonutKing wrote:

Anyway, if you want the flaky CT1350 you can have it, but it doesn't have the SAA1099P chips, and I may not have a GAL for it either - depending on whether or not I sell them all on amibay. (although if there's enough interest I will order some more)

Sounds good. I can come for a drive on Sunday, I need to put some K's on the car anyway... FBT cutoff date is only a month-and-a-half away, and I need to to 3500 more km!!

I'm happy to pay the GAL chip, of course.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 50 of 468, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like everyone has received their chip so far then. I'll put one chip aside for squallstrife, so now I have 2 left.

If you were are happy with your chip I'd appreciate some positive feedback at amibay 😀

maddmaxstar let us know how you get on. Is it possible for you to make a recording of your card missing notes?

Reply 51 of 468, by maddmaxstar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DonutKing wrote:

maddmaxstar let us know how you get on. Is it possible for you to make a recording of your card missing notes?

As it turns out, I'm a n00b, and didn't realize that, since there's no SB1350B datasheet online that I could find, on a closer look the jumper I thought enabled Game Blaster was actually marked CMSOFF. I removed the jumper, and sure enough, it fired right up. The weird part though, why would I get any sound at all if the CMS is disabled by jumper? Weird.

Works great now though, long live dead tech!

= K7-550(V3-3000) =
= K6-2+ 500(V3-2000) =
= TI486DLC-40(T8900D) =

Reply 52 of 468, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SOLD OUT at the moment. I have ordered more but there may be up to a month or more until I receive them and can program/test them. Will update the thread when I have more stock.

Reply 53 of 468, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Has everyone who has received their chip had a chance to try it yet?

I've had one returned because it didn't work in the buyers card. It works in both of mine.

My two cards are rev 3 and rev 4. It says the revision right next to CT1350 in the top left corner. I assume that if it has no revision letter there, it is an original model/revision 0.
I'd be interested to see what revisions people have got the chip working in, so I can ascertain if there is a certain revision that doesn't like the chip, or if the buyer simply has a faulty card.

Reply 54 of 468, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have received chips but from someone else from Germany through www.dosforum.de. Due lack of Philips CMS chips not able to test them yet. I could yank out the original Creative chip, but rather not 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 56 of 468, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep yours looks the same as the troublesome card. I can only presume his card is faulty.

I've noticed that some CT1350 cards have the DMACTL jumper and some lack it. I assume the cards that lack this jumper have permanently disabled DMA sharing... although this shouldn't be relevant to the CMS chipset.

Reply 57 of 468, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only thing that seems to affect CMS is that jumper which needs to be removed if the CMS chips are installed.

My YouTube channel

Reply 58 of 468, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can verify maddmaxstar 's problem with a rev0 card.
BOTH my 1350s do not like the cms upgrade. I only tested cms and it is working fine BUT the SB part becomes dead the minute you install the GAL.
I am testing with alone in the dark, the card does not even get detected.
If you use a previous sb config and enter the game then all you get is sb sfx. FM is dead.
If you remove the gal the cards gets detected and sfx/music works but the 1099Ps make noises, one needs to remove them too.
Messing with the DMA sharing jumper makes no difference...
Either there is some other jumper(s) needed for the rev0 card or the original dumped chip code is not suitable for rev0 cards.
I am going to make more tests with jumpers 12/13... did them, they just disable sb and/or 8312 parts of the card...
Also tried with EOB3 sound setup, with cms chips it can see (or at least not complain) the SB part but it complains about the midi one (FM chosen) ...

made a thread on vintage computer forums HERE and pm'ed Chuck(G) , hopefully he'll see it and reply with some clues...

Reply 59 of 468, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:

Yep yours looks the same as the troublesome card. I can only presume his card is faulty.

I've noticed that some CT1350 cards have the DMACTL jumper and some lack it. I assume the cards that lack this jumper have permanently disabled DMA sharing... although this shouldn't be relevant to the CMS chipset.

I have the same card. With that DMACTL to.. But what does it do?

keropi wrote:
I can verify maddmaxstar 's problem with a rev0 card. BOTH my 1350s do not like the cms upgrade. I only tested cms and it is wor […]
Show full quote

I can verify maddmaxstar 's problem with a rev0 card.
BOTH my 1350s do not like the cms upgrade. I only tested cms and it is working fine BUT the SB part becomes dead the minute you install the GAL.
I am testing with alone in the dark, the card does not even get detected.
If you use a previous sb config and enter the game then all you get is sb sfx. FM is dead.
If you remove the gal the cards gets detected and sfx/music works but the 1099Ps make noises, one needs to remove them too.
Messing with the DMA sharing jumper makes no difference...
Either there is some other jumper(s) needed for the rev0 card or the original dumped chip code is not suitable for rev0 cards.
I am going to make more tests with jumpers 12/13... did them, they just disable sb and/or 8312 parts of the card...
Also tried with EOB3 sound setup, with cms chips it can see (or at least not complain) the SB part but it complains about the midi one (FM chosen) ...

made a thread on vintage computer forums HERE and pm'ed Chuck(G) , hopefully he'll see it and reply with some clues...

Actually this is 100% mine problem to..
But mine card can detected the settings by TEST-SBC.exe and playing fine FM music and FX sound BUT

If iam going to use DIAGNOSTIC.EXE.. It detects the cards settings. But when it wants to test the sound, the whole systems hangs..

In games, ADLIB doesnt work for me as FM sound aswell..

I think i have rev0 too. But cant find anything on the PCB or so.. I only know it have DSP 2.02

Last edited by Robin4 on 2012-02-28, 11:19. Edited 1 time in total.

~ At least it can do black and white~