Common searches

DosBox on Mac -- questions

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 36, by Arwen4CJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sune Salminen wrote:

I feel like I'm going around in circles.

Thank you, yes -- I know about those patches and updates. In fact, those are the ones that I was referring to earlier when I said that I had them. You suggested that I use the original versions, and not the patched versions. Therefore, I told you that I'd have problems with KQ 7 if I didn't use the patched versions.

So, yes...those are the very updates/patches that I'm referring to throughout this thread.

Thank you for the link, though.

Collector, who posted earlier in this thread, is the one who made them.

Reply 22 of 36, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okido thanks for the clarifications.

I thought that you could run the Windows of KQ collection on the Mac (through a Windows emulator). But yea, I don't have a Mac, so I guess I was wrong.

Have you had success with finding a DOSBox frontend for the Mac version of DOSBox?

On the PC there is D-Fend reloaded and I'm sure there are similar tools on the MAC.

The way I have set it up is a single folder called "DOSBox Games" and in that folder I have subfolders like KQ1, Prince, SQ4 and so on.

The frontend does all the mounting for you and "starts" in the "DOSBox Games" folder. Then I just type:

CD KQ1
KQ1

and I'm set. To go back to the "DOSBox Games" folder I type CD..

A frontend is a graphical user interface that hides all the command line / mounting complexity for you.

Best part is that once you have your "DOSBox Games" folder setup and everything works, you can just add new games into that folder without having to change anything.

ScummVM isn't an emulator. It's really an interpreter. It won't have these timing bugs or whatever as the interpreter will take care of all of that.

IMO ScummVM is perfect for you. Apart from the last KQ game, it supports all the others, so you should really check it out! It has a huge following with excellent support on their site as well.

Reply 23 of 36, by Arwen4CJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Okido thanks for the clarifications. […]
Show full quote

Okido thanks for the clarifications.

I thought that you could run the Windows of KQ collection on the Mac (through a Windows emulator). But yea, I don't have a Mac, so I guess I was wrong.

Have you had success with finding a DOSBox frontend for the Mac version of DOSBox?

On the PC there is D-Fend reloaded and I'm sure there are similar tools on the MAC.

The way I have set it up is a single folder called "DOSBox Games" and in that folder I have subfolders like KQ1, Prince, SQ4 and so on.

The frontend does all the mounting for you and "starts" in the "DOSBox Games" folder. Then I just type:

CD KQ1
KQ1

and I'm set. To go back to the "DOSBox Games" folder I type CD..

A frontend is a graphical user interface that hides all the command line / mounting complexity for you.

Best part is that once you have your "DOSBox Games" folder setup and everything works, you can just add new games into that folder without having to change anything.

ScummVM isn't an emulator. It's really an interpreter. It won't have these timing bugs or whatever as the interpreter will take care of all of that.

IMO ScummVM is perfect for you. Apart from the last KQ game, it supports all the others, so you should really check it out! It has a huge following with excellent support on their site as well.

Well, yes....I can play Windows on Mac using VMware Fusion. That's how I was playing KQ 7. However, I wanted to get it running through the Mac operating system instead of Windows, and was seeing if I could do that.

I guess that the Boxer program is a DosBox frontend, but I had trouble with the KQ 7 stuff. I don't remember if I checked them all in boxer yet.

I still can't get KQ 7 to open in boxer. It says it can't open 999.pal

Cool -- I'll checked out ScmmVM. I noticed that I can play Apple IIGs versions as well on it. However, the one page says there is no sound, but another page says that if I include certain files, it will give me sound. The problem is that ScummVM doesn't seem to recognize the Apple IIGS disk images.

I suppose I could open the Kegs IIGS emulator and try and get those files from the GS Finder (yes, the GS has a Finder), and see if I can copy them to a folder in the Mac Finder...but I don't know if that will work. I'm not sure I can copy things out of the Emulator to the Mac. It's worth a try, though.

Since ScummVM can't read the Apple IIGS disk images, I can't really copy the files to a disk in the real GS (in its Finder) and then send those files to the Mac, because that would still be a disk image, and ScummVM doesn't seem to know what those disk images are.

Anyone have suggestions on that? If not, I'll keep playing the GS versions in Kegs or Sweet16.

Reply 24 of 36, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm running the Apple ][GS emulator Sweet16 too, and I've created another disk image for data exchange, formatted in Mac OS file system, mounted in GS Finder. This image must be created using the standard Hard Disk Utility found in your Mac OS /Applications/Utilities folder, be sure to format it with HFS Standard. Also be sure to install the HSF.FST inside the GS/OS operating system to get it mounted in the GS.

I think it is the same for IIGS versions of the ScummVM supported games (I've added the IIGS version of KQ4 to the ScummVM list as well) as for all games supported, so simply copy the KQ4GS folder onto a data exchange disk image, mount that image in Mac Finder, copy the folder onto your Mac hard disk and browse ScummVM to it.

ScummVM will not recognize disk images as such, but only the files (in a Folder browsed to) it needs to play the games.

Hint: While in ScummVM GUI, hold down the shift key to change the "Add Game" button to a "Mass Add" functionality. This fill search a given folder for all games ScummVM supporte.

Klimawandel.

Reply 25 of 36, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

None of this helps him with playing KQ7 on his Mac. ScummVM does not support KQ7 yet. He has it working in Widows with VMware Fusion. All he needs is to copy the working folder to his Mac hard drive and edit the mounting in the included dosbox.conf and setup an alias to use that alias. I do not know enough about Mac paths nor setting up an alias to use the "-conf" parameter to help him.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 26 of 36, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I tried to help but I'm not really getting enough information, mostly confusing ones.
What is the config saying for kq7 on the windows Dosbox? Then we can help

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 27 of 36, by Arwen4CJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

I tried to help but I'm not really getting enough information, mostly confusing ones.
What is the config saying for kq7 on the windows Dosbox? Then we can help

Sorry about the confusion -- there's several different things going on here -- Boxer in Mac, DosBox in Mac, ScummVM in Mac, DosBox in Windows, etc. I don't have problems with DosBox in Windows.

So....back to DosBox in Windows.

Let me open up Windows and then try and get DosBox running to tell you what it says.

Now, this is the DosBox in Windows -
When I double click on KQ 7 in the 1997 collection, it plays fine. (This is the new installation from Collector with the stuff changed).

When I double click on KQ 7 in the 2006 collection, it plays fine. (This is the patched version.)

So the Windows stuff is working just fine. I guess my problem is getting these to run correctly in the Mac DosBox and in Boxer.

The problem isn't with Windows at all -- everything seems to work there now.

So...I can wait for your Mac version of that stuff -- or I could just get help typing in what needs to be typed in, where it needs to be typed in at in Mac. Either way would be fine.

Wait...do you need me to copy and paste what the config file says in the My Computer folder that the games are installed in? Or were you asking what kind of errors I received when I tried playing the game?

Reply 28 of 36, by Arwen4CJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
IIGS_User wrote:
I'm running the Apple ][GS emulator Sweet16 too, and I've created another disk image for data exchange, formatted in Mac OS file […]
Show full quote

I'm running the Apple ][GS emulator Sweet16 too, and I've created another disk image for data exchange, formatted in Mac OS file system, mounted in GS Finder. This image must be created using the standard Hard Disk Utility found in your Mac OS /Applications/Utilities folder, be sure to format it with HFS Standard. Also be sure to install the HSF.FST inside the GS/OS operating system to get it mounted in the GS.

I think it is the same for IIGS versions of the ScummVM supported games (I've added the IIGS version of KQ4 to the ScummVM list as well) as for all games supported, so simply copy the KQ4GS folder onto a data exchange disk image, mount that image in Mac Finder, copy the folder onto your Mac hard disk and browse ScummVM to it.

ScummVM will not recognize disk images as such, but only the files (in a Folder browsed to) it needs to play the games.

Hint: While in ScummVM GUI, hold down the shift key to change the "Add Game" button to a "Mass Add" functionality. This fill search a given folder for all games ScummVM supporte.

I'd have a problem with the King's Quest II Disk 1 image if I used Sweet16 for anything with that. My own disk image that I got from the real GS disk for that game causes Sweet16 to freeze, as do all the disk images of it that I could find online (of that particular disk). I have to use Kegs for that game in order to get that game to play. The disk image from my copy of it has a copy protection on it, so I can't play that in ScummVM unless ScummVM ignores copy protection stuff. (I don't know if that's possible.)

Hmmm...I'll have to try some of that once the DosBox stuff in Mac is all sorted out. Thank you for your input, though 😀

Reply 29 of 36, by Arwen4CJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Either follow my advice or get boxer or wait until I adapt Collectors Windows installer for Mac. I am working on this but needed to take a break because my baby son takes too much time. Basic scripting is done but needs fine tuning and needs to be done for each game. Could be another couple of months.

Just wondering -- is the Mac Installer ready yet?

Reply 30 of 36, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Oh don't ask 😉
Seriously I'm most of the time too beat at night to wrap my mind about the stuff even though it's not too hard to finish it. I hope to be more productive in autumn/winter. I'm still thinking about it and have some solutions in mind.

Reply 31 of 36, by Arwen4CJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Oh don't ask 😉
Seriously I'm most of the time too beat at night to wrap my mind about the stuff even though it's not too hard to finish it. I hope to be more productive in autumn/winter. I'm still thinking about it and have some solutions in mind.

All right 😀 No problem...just wanted to see where you were with it. No rush.

Reply 33 of 36, by Zooboomapoof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all,
I am so sorry to bug you all, I know this is an old thread, but I am new to this sort of stuff and would like some help. I have an original CD of King's Quest VI and would like to play it on my MacBook via ScummVM. How would I go about doing that? Any feedback at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and consideration; take care!

Reply 35 of 36, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In the future, you can ask questions about ScummVM on their forums http://forums.scummvm.org/index.php This is the official DOSBox forum.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers