VOGONS

Common searches

Humour Thread: Outrageously priced retro gear for sale online

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There have been many scattered posts recently about outrageously priced retro gear for sale online. For posterity’s sake, I think it would be amusing to keep a log of it in this post. This post is not for people trying to sell equipment; please restrict your posts to gaspingly absorb prices.

Since links expire, please upload a photo as evidence. If at some point in the future the item actually sells, edit the status of your post to somebody actually bought it.

Last edited by feipoa on 2012-03-10, 00:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1 of 1353, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260760946220
NEXGEN NX586 PF-100
$850 USD

Attachments

• NX586_850USD.jpg
    Filename
    NX586_850USD.jpg
    File size
    115.48 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 1353, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1. Honeywell Link : http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-HONEYWELL-BULL-A … =item2a17e67625
Item Number : 180789605925

2. intel C4040 ES.. Link : http://www.ebay.com/itm/C4040-ES-INTEL-CPU-RA … =item2c54ff09df
Item number : 190404561375

And so on...

Items are listed on ebay. Have to search, if interested.

Last edited by Malik on 2012-03-10, 04:12. Edited 1 time in total.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 9 of 1353, by fronzel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jaqie wrote:

no auction numbers no links I don't believe it without either. I call fakes.

I think going to ebay and searching for the items is really not asking too much. And even if you dont enter the exact title - listing by price makes these very visible... *facepalm*

Reply 11 of 1353, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got an email 10 minutes ago for an ebay saved search:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … em=360440828126

My happiness was dashed when I saw WHERE it was located and the price. 😜 Not that I need one. I have TWO. But it is a revision 1.41/1.2 which supports the 1mb chips.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 12 of 1353, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fronzel wrote:

AOL floppy 4000 bucks. I bet now you slap yourself for copying leisure suit larry on these...

LOL AT THE AOL DISKETTE! That definately won't sell. I still have my original GNN installation diskette. Not sure if anyone here was on the internet back then.

Does anyone know how these ebayers can afford to keep relisting the items? I haven't sold stuff on eBay in 6 years, but I don't recall there being an unlimited listing option.

Reply 14 of 1353, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, that AOL disk seller is crazy. Even "crazy" may not be enough to to explain. I remember seeing such disks coming free with the US Robotics Sportster modem I got about 2 decades ago. But $3,600 asking price for something practically useless ($4000 Buy Now Price) is beyond me. I would rather spend on the latest, fastest graphics cards in SLI/CF if I have that much money in hand to spend.

This is his description : "Working!! Very Very Rare AOL 1.1 in exellent condition. Don't let this one get away. Free shipping! "

Link : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-AOL-1-1-/2510 … =item3a716356b1.

Reply 15 of 1353, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You realize some of these outrageously priced auctions might be covers for money laundering, right? Someone with some dirty money to unload before the police catch up to him "buys" one of these outrageously priced items from an "associate" who then withdraws the payment in his own location then the two of them meet up on a Carribean island outside the jurisdiction of the authorities and live like kings for the rest of their lives.

Reply 16 of 1353, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jaqie wrote:

You don't know what fake auction means? *facepalm*

google bodagonktank.

Fake auctions would be preferable to any of the ugly realities:

1: Idiots that simply expect way too much for their supposedly "rare" but actually quite common bit of garden variety 90s hardware
2: Hoarders working to exploit desperate over-cashed collectors, see #3
3: Collectors with more dollars than sense, desperate for "that one last bit", falls for and thus vindicates #2
4: What sliderider said.

I'd much rather believe they were just gag auctions than the truth that the world is full of horrible people.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 17 of 1353, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, sliderider, that's very much possible. It really IS fishy with absurd prices for such items.

Heck, even the title of the two P4 cpus above - "INTEL Pentium 4 3.4GHz ERROR DOUBLE STRIKE STAMP COLLECTORS HISTROY" sounds more like some sort of secret code words to me!

And US $1 MILLION dollars for a couple of P4 processors?

Oh no! You've waken up the conspiracy theorist in me again! 🤣