VOGONS

First post, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Particulars:

IBM Cyrix 6x86MX PR200 CPU @ 166MHz
Jetway J-5TXC Motherboard (Intel TX chipset)
128MB PC133 SDRAM (running at 66MHz I suppose)
Matrox Millennium II PCI 4MB Video
3Dfx Voodoo Graphics 4MB PCI
Realtek ISA NIC
Creative Vibra16S
Quantum Fireball 9.1GB HDD
AOpen 52x CD-ROM
No-Name Case
PSU with its sticker torn off
Windows 98SE

Benchmarks running as I type this...

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 2 of 25, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, they seem to work just fine.

Benchies:
ARaJ5.png
p1cD2.png
z1xmA.png

Voodoo 1 score:
g3ZtW.png

Matrox score:
QvwnH.png

SuperPi time is 17m 49.258s

Also, the Matrox score is a bit deceptive. Even though it ran a few FPS faster, it also looked like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvIWMwuUDzE

Reply 3 of 25, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember trying to play half-live 1 on a Matrox Millennium, it did the same thing, that card is really only good for 2D.

Nice machine I like it. Always happy to see a Voodoo card still being used 😀

Do you know if the Cyrix 6x86MX is much better than the non MX version? I had a PR200 and it was baaad :p

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 4 of 25, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My Matrox Millennium G200 PCI doesn't look like that in 3DMark99Max. Have you compared the Millennium G200 with your card?

For a some comparison, I just so happened to finish testing of a P200MMX. I know the frequencies aren't the same, but going by the PR markings, the scores were:

Sandra99
CPU ALU: 493
CPU FPU: 222
MMX ALU: 468
MMX FPU: 159
Memory ALU: 97
Memory FPU: 104

3DMark99Max
Graphics 3DMarks: 1123
CPU 3DMarks: 1465

Also done with a 430TX board (using Mcache!)

Not surprisngly, the P200MMX outshined. A better comparison would be to compare both CPUs on the same system, 2 CPUs with the same PR, then 2 CPUs with the same Freq. I'll eventually get to this with the socket 7 benchmark comparison. I've now completed 3 of 106 CPUs. Tabled results are in the Cyrix MII-433GP Build thread.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 5 of 25, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

Not surprisngly, the P200MMX outshined.

Not surprising at all! 😀

Trouble is, both of my 200MMX chips are in my dual Socket 7 box, and all my other Socket 7 CPUs are either non-MMX Pentiums or chips that don't work on any of my S7 boards (K6-2+ 500, Cyrix M-II 300).

Reply 6 of 25, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Chewhacca wrote:

Do the Millenium II and Voodoo cause any memory conflicts with each other?

Maybe they are!

I upgraded the drivers from the stock Windows 98 ones, and now whenever a Glide game fires up, it falls in a heap.

3DMark99 seems to work, but Glide games all crash.

What's the go?

Reply 7 of 25, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try several driver revisions until you find the latest one to work well. With my Millennium G200, for example, I noticed that the latest version 6.82 didn't work with 3DMark99Max, at least not on my 430TX board. I tested about 10 versions until I found that 6.28 was the latest version to work well with 3DMark99Max.

You'd also want to ensure that your Millennium II works fine with the latest driver version and without the Voodoo inserted before going through the iterations of Matrox driver revisions.

Reply 8 of 25, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think I might have just got a corrupt file.

FXMEMMAP.VXD was mentioned on an error dialogue at one point, and I noticed that every copy of that file on the computer was the same date, even with the out-of-box Windows 98 driver installed. So I went to an earlier version of the 3Dfx driver (3.00.01 vs 3.01.00) and everything's hunky dory.

I have a new problem, where the simulator won't launch in MW2 3Dfx edition, but that's for another thread.

Thanks for the help guys! 😀

Reply 10 of 25, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, curiosity got the better of me, I swapped the 6x86MX PR200 for an AMD K6 200.

3DBench score went from 234 to 200 exactly, and Quake 1 timedemo is faster by 1.5 fps.

Windows benchies to come!

Reply 12 of 25, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It shouldn't be too much of a challenge to beat a Cyrix 6x86 FPU, but I'm somewhat surprised that the 6x86 ALU performed so poorly. Perhaps compare the 6x86 @ 200 MHz to the AMD @ 200 MHz.

I'm now 8 CPUs into the ultimate 686 benchmark comparison and the results are beginning to show that the performance of the Cyrix 6x86 FPU is clock-for-clock equal to the Cyrix 5x86. The Cyrix 6x86 ALU, on the other hand, is much better than the 5x86 ALU.

EDIT: I noticed that your 3DMark99 results are performed at 640x480. Is it more common to run 3DMark99 at the default of 800x600 or 640x480?

Reply 14 of 25, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since my new motherboard arrived, I took the opportunity to once again upgrade my Single Socket 7 system:

MSI MS5169 Rev 4 motherboard
AMD K6-2+ 500MHz (100x5)
128MB PC133 SD-RAM
ATi Rage 128 Ultra AGP
Voodoo 1 PCI

New case, and new power supply, but everything else the same.

It will be interesting to see how well these benchmarks scale to the increased FSB and clock speed.

Reply 17 of 25, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, I don't remember for some reason. Perhaps you could guide me to that post? Did you try soldering on another pin?

Reply 18 of 25, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'll do a search, but it's possible I mentioned that on another forum, or possibly I only imagined mentioning it... but yeah, a pin broke off and now the CPU wont boot in any board.

I had a go at resoldering it, but, well, let's just say my Soltek TX board has a broken-off pin floating around in the socket now... 🙁

Edit: Yes, it does seem that I merely imagined posting about the broken pin... My bad. 🙁 That doesn't make it suck any less... 🙁 🙁 🙁

Edit2: Found it Re: Can you disassemble a Socket 7 socket?&

So it seems I didn't realise that part of the pin was left behind at the time... I guess it was just luck that it still booted at the time.

Still, this K6-2+ is one zippy chip!

Edit3: Made that last paragraph sound a bit less derpy.

Reply 19 of 25, by kool kitty89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Keep an eye on ebay. MIIs and 6x86MXs will go for $5-10 shipped every once in a while. (a PR233 went for about $8 a few days ago, a 366 went for $5 about a month ago, and I got my 366 for $7 about a week earlier -all prices+shipping)