VOGONS

First post, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a very, very strange shutdown problem with win98.

The board is a tyan trinity 1854. I recently changed out the CPU cooler with a slightly bigger/quiteter one. For those of you familiar with the board, it has both slot1 and socket 370. I removed the plastic mounts/guides for the slot 1 to make room for the slightly larger cooler (don't think that is the problem).

But now, win98 does not shut down proeprly. When I shut down, it powers back the fans and the hard drive light starts flashing, but it does not shut off.

As strange as it may sound, I have traced this to the case fan. If I unplug the case fan, it shuts down properly. I have even tried a different case fan, same result.

I could probably get by without the case fan, or even hard-wire it to an unused drive cable, but why is it doing this? I am starting to think something on the motherboard is damaged 🙁

Reply 1 of 4, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I am totally unfamiliar with your board, but have you tried upgrading the bios, if you haven't got the latest one that is.

Also if I remember correctly, Windows 95 and 98 didn't shut down by themselves, when you terminated windows you got a screen saying you can turn off the computer.

Reply 2 of 4, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It possable that it bios problem
Try remove the Yellow wire RPM sensor see if that make any diff or this motherboard may need RPM sensor Fan.
Have try disable fast shur down
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/238096
Also read this to
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/141898

Reply 3 of 4, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's possible it's a PSU issue. Some fans use more power than others. Do you have a multimeter to test it with?

Procyon wrote:

Also if I remember correctly, Windows 95 and 98 didn't shut down by themselves, when you terminated windows you got a screen saying you can turn off the computer.

Windows 9x does shut down automatically if you have an ATX motherboard.