VOGONS

Reply 60 of 112, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

While nVidia releases Fermi, Ati has the best video hardware right now.

I can't wait to see what Nvidia come out with this time 😀 and lets hope they get the drivers right (although i would expect a couple of bugs upon release). In the meantime i will stick with ATI 😎

Reply 61 of 112, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Catalyst 10.3 "preview" driver has been released: http://sites.amd.com/us/underground/tips/Page … -3-preview.aspx

Sounds like it's a slightly newer version of 10.3 than what they have submitted to Microsoft for WHQL, so official 10.3 may end up being older than this version.

Reply 63 of 112, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Funny that 11.10 and 11.11 were released so close together. I guess they got really far behind and decided to make up for it, especially with the release of Skyrim and such.

Reply 66 of 112, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why is AMD always breaking OpenGL support in their drivers? I guess they must be forgetting to merge some patch in that fixes it, as they seem to break it every couple of versions.

This bit me a year or two ago when I was playing KOTOR 1+2. I think I was able to work around it for a while by copying a working version of the ATI OpenGL DLL into the same directory as the game .EXE. Now I just play old games on my nVidia-based laptop and save my new machine for new games.

Reply 67 of 112, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Probly because compared to D3D not very many people are using it so I doubt ATI does any testing for it.

Possibly they are doing it intentionally to see who complains. heh

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 70 of 112, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:
BigBodZod wrote:

This is probably why RAGE broke after shipping too.

I was going to say the same thing 🤣

Great minds think alike, although mine is not past the 50 year mark so who knows 😁

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 71 of 112, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"ATi and OpenGL - the epic rivals since november 2007"...

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 75 of 112, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"Recently AMD announced that it would cease offering monthly graphics driver updates, and instead issue Catalyst versions only 'when it makes sense.' That statement would be a good deal more comforting if it didn't 'make sense' to upgrade AMD's drivers nearly every single month. From 2010 through 2011, AMD released a new Catalyst driver every month like clockwork. Starting last summer, however, AMD began having trouble with high-profile game releases that performed badly or had visual artifacts. Rage was one high-profile example, but there have been launch-day issues with a number of other titles, including Skyrim, Assassin's Creed, Bat Man: Arkham City, and Battlefield 3. The company responded to these problems by quickly releasing out-of-band driver updates. In addition, AMD's recent Catalyst 12.6 beta driver also fixes random BSODs on the desktop, poor Crossfire scaling in Skyrim and random hangs in Crysis 2 in DX9. In other words, AMD is still working to resolve important problems in games that launched more than six months ago. It's hard to put a positive spin on slower driver releases given just how often those releases are necessary."

from slashdot
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/12/06/03/15412 … -driver-updates

Reply 76 of 112, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HunterZ wrote:

Why is AMD always breaking OpenGL support in their drivers? I guess they must be forgetting to merge some patch in that fixes it, as they seem to break it every couple of versions.

This bit me a year or two ago when I was playing KOTOR 1+2. I think I was able to work around it for a while by copying a working version of the ATI OpenGL DLL into the same directory as the game .EXE. Now I just play old games on my nVidia-based laptop and save my new machine for new games.

Really annoying, I have a 6 series card and after testing ALL the available driver releases (about 10 at the time) found one driver that worked nicely for me, but only when paired with an openGL dll from another release. I actually returned one card thinking it was faulty, but the replacement behaved exactly the same. Glad I settled it now, I wont dare touch it (=update catalyst).

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 77 of 112, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thank you Ratfink and Gerwin for your comments.

I think I prefer AMD driver development crew issue new driver versions when they are somewhat polished rather than forcing us to update every month.

Yes, I am stuck with Catalyst 10.1 because OpenGL is broken in NWN (it crashes) everytime I use a version newer than that. Just pathetic.

What DLLs do I need to put in the game folder? Maybe I could upgrade and keep old DLLs in NWN folder.

Reply 78 of 112, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Forcing you to upgrade? I probably upgrade the drivers in my desktop twice a year.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 79 of 112, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

What DLLs do I need to put in the game folder? Maybe I could upgrade and keep old DLLs in NWN folder.

atioglxx.dll: http://www.opengl.org/wiki/FAQ#How_Does_It_Wo … k_On_Windows.3F

You'll want it in the same folder as the game .exe's probably.