VOGONS

First post, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here is my original post, if you remember it:

My GLide PC

but I ditched the voodoo2 SLI setup and MilleniumII (to be used in my 233MMX build) and I've added some new bits.

Asus P3V4X w/ 384MB PC100 RAM
P3B 1000Mhz/133 w/ Alpha heatsink (NEW!)
Voodoo5 AGP (NEW!)
Linksys Gigabit Ethernet (NEW!)
LSI i4 MegaRAID w/ 2x 15GB Deskstars in RAID0
TB Santa Cruz w/ DB50XG
56x CD-ROM + 1.44MB Floppy

Fearfully, though I think I need a new PS since my fans are warbling a little bit. I have one more thing I'd like to change WRT the HDD's, but at a cost of $80 it will have to wait until my other projects get roundabout finished. The elliptical fin heatsink is on the i4 card b/c the chip gets HOT!!!

dcp01640.jpg
By cookiejarbill at 2012-03-10

dcp01639.jpg

dcp01638.jpg

dcp01637.jpg

Will pay $$$ for:

caching ISA I/O-IDE controller

PM me for my list of trade-ables...

Reply 1 of 12, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Awesome system! Loving the oldschool RAID0 setup, always thought RAID0 was pretty neat. The Core 2 machine in my sig has 2 250GB Barracuda 7200.10s in RAID0, it was a speedy little setup. For some reason we have 2 old PCI raid cards in the house; I should grab a matching pair of old 10GB drives or something for my Win98 rig...

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 2 of 12, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A bit messy but nice system!

You could fix the fan by pulling it apart then cleaning off out with some rubbing alcohol and re-lube with some air tool oil. I've done it to alot of fans and works great. Also while you have the supply apart you can check out the caps in the supply for buldging capacitors which means either fix it or replace the supply!! Do make sure to remove power from the supply for a couple mins so the caps discharge so you don't get shocked!!

What OS are you using? Assuming some 9x variant.

I have to ask why Raid0 with such old hardware? I'd hate to lose my 98SE setup of months of customizing by losing a drive. Running in Raid 1 (mirror) still should up the read rate while creating redundancy in case one of those old drives die!!

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 3 of 12, by jaqie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

mmmm duallies! I'm working on a dual tualatin 1.4 for my voodoo5. Waiting on replacement cpus because I am having reliability issues.

I love those HSF, where did you get the intel holostickers for them?

Reply 4 of 12, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The rackmount server "wind tunnel" coolers from Intel came with fans like that. They came with retail boxed Xeon CPUs in the Willammette days, possibly after that too.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 6 of 12, by jaqie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I like the fans by far the most. I had emulated those with my old duallie which I have given away since - pic here to show what I mean.
http://foxtecha.com/pics/comps/pcs/phobos/dua … p3/100_0475.jpg

Reply 9 of 12, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I mean I have seen some coolers with fans placed in a similar way, with the access spot to the internals on the outside for easy access, but the fan rotation was still set to blow air down onto the heatsink, not pull it through it. I guess it wouldn't matter much with a low heat generating cpu, but that's not something I would want to do with a high heat one, especially with the north bridge close by and everything else generating heat on the motherboard, since that is ultimately the area where your airflow would be pulled from.

Reply 10 of 12, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm running WinMe on this system. The RAID 0 was accidental, I originally intended to run a system + games volume separately but for some reason I did the setup wrong and wound up with 2 in RAID 0. I will change it soon, after I get it "where I want it" I'll boot to linux CD or something and dump/re-copy correctly.

Will pay $$$ for:

Reply 11 of 12, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I really like those fans. They have a thermistor or something that varies RPM with temp. I bought a bunch off of eGad and use them whenever a nice 60mm fan is required (and I have space).

Will pay $$$ for:

Reply 12 of 12, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Don't know, I've always drawn air "up" through the heatsink on all my coolers, ever. I just thought that seemed to make more sense to me....kind of like the engine fan on a car, I guess.

Will pay $$$ for: