VOGONS

Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 760 of 3343, by The Gecko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gemini000 wrote:

Speaking of, do you happen to remember the name of the game in the computer lab there that had that sort of space theme going on with space stations and scaffolding and barrels and such?

I do not. Do you remember what your objectives were at all? Graphical style? I spent most of my time in the paint program and playing The Incredible Machine when I could, or doing lame typing / word processing lessons otherwise.

Bleh. Word processing. Yeah, I figured out how you print bold text on my own at home long ago, thanks! Instead, I spent my time breaking things! Did you know that they kept locker combinations in a file that you could read if you used a program that ran with elevated access, but you could drop to a shell with? My first privilege escalation attack!

That was the first (but not the last!) school that banned me from the computer network for a time.

Gemini000 wrote:

Also, dunno if you heard or not, but said elementary school was shut down some time ago, dunno exactly when. 😜

Nope. Can't say I'm feeling a particularly acute sense of loss, though.

If all else fails, use fire.

Reply 761 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 83 - 3-D Body Adventure is online!

It only just barely beat out Dinosaurs in the voting, though that might've been a good thing. The Dinosaur program I have I remember being acceptable for what it was, but going through 3-D Body Adventure again for the first time in over a decade I have to question some of the design choices which were made...

...then, while doing the editing, I noticed there were no less than TEN people listed in the credits as programmers. For an activity centre with only four activities... that's a bit excessive. >_>;

Considering how dry and boring this program is I milked as much humour out of it as I possibly could without deviating from my style too much. I promise though, I've saved the best two edutainment games I have for last! :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 763 of 3343, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm confused by your rating system. Bio Menace gets a maturity warning for tiny rendered corpses in the background yet close ups of dismembered organs and Vagina Crawler 3D are acceptable for all ages.

Reply 764 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The difference is context. 3-D Body Adventure isn't violent and never shows anyone getting dismembered or blown apart or bleeding to death. The warning itself that I have on my mature-rated episodes starts by saying: "Today's episode of Ancient DOS Games covers a fairly violent game..."

"Violent" is the key word here.

CG pictures of organs and blood cells alone are not violent. Showing them getting torn out of someone's body would be.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 765 of 3343, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gemini000: Sir let us just say, my humour and sarcasm would not fit in a post. That would be appropriate . But at least you are having fun while you are making this months episodes.

Reply 766 of 3343, by The Gecko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Should've gone with baby animals!

Now sad skunk is sad.
skunky2.jpg

Also:

Vagina Crawler 3D

Hahahaha... good show!

If all else fails, use fire.

Reply 767 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 84 - Word Rescue is online!

This one surprised me. My memories of this game from childhood were rather favourable, so I purchased the registered version just for this month, fired it up, played it for a number of hours and realized, "This isn't nearly as fun as I remebered it..."

So yeah, Word Rescue isn't nearly as great a game as I remembered it being, but it's not a bad game either, it just has design and programming issues, especially when you set it up on Hard difficulty. >_<;

The last edutainment game of the month though is one I still play once or twice a year when I'm bored so I'm pretty darn sure it's made of win! ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 768 of 3343, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I played a lot of Word Rescue as a kid.
I was certain that higher difficulty settings gave longer words but I just tried shareware version 1.0 and this is definitely not the case. Funny how your memory plays tricks on you 😀

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 769 of 3343, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I played for the first time, Word Rescue when I was 12 on some summer camp. Or was that math rescue ? anyway. You mentioned Indian, well at least they did NOT use the highly racist word , and I repeat highly racist word. Which if of course nigger. So choosing between Indian, and the N-word, then thank goodness. They chose Indian. Other than that, lovely episode. Which was much better than your "fun" episode last time. Even though I actually get the joke about vagina in the last episode.

Reply 770 of 3343, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Gecko wrote:
Should've gone with baby animals! […]
Show full quote

Should've gone with baby animals!

Now sad skunk is sad.
skunky2.jpg

Also:

Vagina Crawler 3D

Hahahaha... good show!

I'll see your baby skunk and raise you to 4.

skunks.jpg

Reply 771 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Darn it you two, now I wanna cuddle a baby skunk! D:

Anyways, Ancient DOS Games Episode 85 - Treasure Mountain is online!

Didn't really expect to appear on camera so many times this month, but all the best jokes I could come up with were visual so hey, why not, right? I'm getting a bit more comfortable appearing in front of the camera too, despite my strange-looking teeth and being a little overweight. I did actually have a bit of experience with dramatic arts before starting ADG so that's certainly helping a bit.

Actually, the hilarious part of the whole thing is that I'm usually not so angry or prudish in real life compared to how my on-camera apperances may make it seem, but then, if I acted "normal" on camera I would be really boring. >_>;

EDIT: Yes, I'm aware there's Adlib sound support in the game. Honestly, I have no idea how I missed this. x_x;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 772 of 3343, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

YAY!!! TREASURE MOUNTAIN!!! I loved playing that in school. Not so much because of the game, but because I got to use the "SPECIAL" 486 computer and not the Apple 2E's.

Its a shame the educational game month is over, I would have loved to see the munchers series. (I played number munchers for HOURS on end) Or Oregon Trail. Which is silly because I played OT not but 2 weeks ago in GLORIOUS 16 colors! Which reminds me, anyone remember Mathman on the tv show Square One? I so rooted for the tornado every time. ^.^

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 773 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

Its a shame the educational game month is over, I would have loved to see the munchers series. (I played number munchers for HOURS on end) Or Oregon Trail. Which is silly because I played OT not but 2 weeks ago in GLORIOUS 16 colors!

Don't have those games. :/

My collection is only a fraction the size of Clint's so I gotta work with what I got. :P

luckybob wrote:

Which reminds me, anyone remember Mathman on the tv show Square One? I so rooted for the tornado every time. ^.^

Oh man, Square One = Greatest Educational Math TV Series EVER X3

I swear, half the time I forgot it was supposed to be teaching me math!

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 775 of 3343, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would actually play that game, if somebody modified the "edutainment" parts out of the game. Cause I would love to play it, as a casual game. So yeah lovely game, but please remove the "humorous" parts of your episodes. Cause in my personal opinion, I do not see it as funny. Immature/childish jokes, ranging from the "bad" word Vagina to Indians. Seriously though I like your reviewing style, but your humorous parts, should either be left out or let LGR do that. Oh yeah, my absence from this board has had its reason, so I will leave it at that. Cause my post would get seriously off topic , if I explained what happened during this week. But other than that, lovely episode 😀

Reply 777 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WolverineDK wrote:

So yeah lovely game, but please remove the "humorous" parts of your episodes. Cause in my personal opinion, I do not see it as funny. Immature/childish jokes, ranging from the "bad" word Vagina to Indians. Seriously though I like your reviewing style, but your humorous parts, should either be left out or let LGR do that.

Yours is the first complaint related to the humour contrasted to a large number of compliments, but then I never make any jokes just because I can, I make them because they just pop into my head while getting everything together normally, like when I spotted that red text in Animal Quest and immediately thought to myself, "There's no way that's true and it would be hilarious if none of them were extinct", which led naturally to the ticker which didn't move. If I didn't notice that red text, that joke would've never been made.

I don't go overboard on humour though so unless there's several more complaints, there will be more jokes to come, but I will always mainly focus on raw information over humour.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 779 of 3343, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wd wrote:

The most funny thing though is that Gemini actually replies to WolverineDK's posting.

Yeah, cause I do know how to give constructive criticism. And I did mention, that it was my personal opinion. But what you do not seem to get, then let me be perfectly clear about it. I have personally and professionally nothing against his show at all. Frankly I think it is awesome that he is making this show, and basically his show as it is pretty virgin. In the sense, just because you have two "seasons" of a show. Does not make you a master. Hell, you can ask any one who has done it for a while. Would probably tell you: It is a hell of hard work. Ask LGR, James Rolfe, Yakumo-sama who has made the show Retro Core, which is now on its third "leg" with lots of specials, and heck even Sega Saturn only episodes, and what not. When he started, I was wary about that show, and if his humour would be as crazy. As his inspiration (Consolevania). Which he said to me "No WolverineDK , it won't be as crazy as that particular show". And the only video game related show I knew off, at the time was the Danish video game related show, named Troldspejlet (The Troll Mirror/The Magic Mirror) on Danmarks Radio (a Danish TV channel).

Where Jacob Stegelman is the host.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troldspejlet

So I have always compared shows from Troldspejlet to the video game related shows I saw online. And in the heyday of the Danish show. It was the best I knew, now that has been taken over by RtC. But that is because Troldspejlet, has become a bit tainted/poppy. But a good episode from that show , would still be considered as a better show, than any crappy TV or online video game related shows, which I do not mention here.

Gemini000 is probably in the bottom of my "favourite" shows. But I like the show, because as he has mentioned so many times. And why I am not really mentioning it in my "complains", that he caters more for younger people. Than some of us old "farts" who has grown up with shows, that are classified as adult oriented shows. Such as RtC, AVGN and stuff like that does NOT put fingers between the curse words, like you know them 😉 But a quality I like about Gemini000´s shows is he has a programmers approach which none of the other video game related shows I have seen over the years has as much. But on the technical scale: Well here we can all wiki most of the facts up, or check them out here on this great board known as vogons, and some of us has photographic/eidetic memory where I only use a trusted source as a security . Since I am not interested in talking bollocks, all the time. Does any one remember his episode about FX Fighter ? well let me tell you a thing a or two. I checked my own sources about the game (such as old forum threads, my own memory and what not) before I consulted wikipedia about it. Heck since Gemini000 has not reviewed a Gameboy game (which I actually would be surprised if that heavy metal haired fellow 😀 did). Then I would actually ask him to check out the ASSEMbler forum about the tech in the GB). Cause wikipedia has time and time again removed a crucial piece of information about the REAL CPU in the GB. Which is NOT a Z80, but a 8080 (or is that a re-edit of a 8086 ?) processor with a Z80 register, hence some GB developers uses Z80 assembler code. Since it has been quite controversial, so there I would rather say. Check other sources before checking wiki upon it.

So to any of the moderators. I hope this post goes through without so many notations about my grammar or other stuff. Cause I have been done for quite a while saying "this episode because he sucks XXX and he does not curse" and stuff like that.