VOGONS

Common searches

The Aethra Chronicles v1.1 shareware -> registered

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by refund

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There is this game called The Aethra Chronicles. It is abondonware (from 1994) and used to be distributed as shareware.
I've a 'registered' edition of version 1.0b, unfortunately, it contains an error in the final dungeon :(

I would be happy forking the original $25 and buy a registered copy, but the contact information for the orignal developer is lost.

I've also 6 copies of different shareware versions of the game, including a v1.1
So, plan B is to crack the shareware protection of this 1.1 version and enjoy the full game. However, since it only runs in dosbox nowadays, I don't know if it is still possible to attach a debugger to the executable running inside dosbox. Is this possible? and if so, how?

Reply 1 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

This is something that isn't allowed to be discussed here.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 5, by refund

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I know cracked software is generally not allowed. However, since this game is by now 18 years old, the full registered edition of version 1.0b of the game is available for download all over the internet and, as far as can be determined, abandoned, I think this is a different case from your avarage shareware crack.

I've put quite some effort into contacting the original developer (Michael W. Lawrence, also called Mike Lawrence) but all trails turn out to be a dead end. So I think it is more about a tribute to the game than it is otherwise lost than it is about cheating the original developer.

As I stated before, I would not hesitate to pay the original $25 and buy the registered copy. But this option is, in absense of a contactable copyright holder, unavailable.

Mark

Reply 4 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Still nothing that can be done here. Abandonware isn't a legal term.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper