VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by kokakoda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Firstly, I know it's unsupported etc. etc, but anyway...

Got DOSBox SVN running Win3.1, patched with the E2K support, and I'm trying to get it online. I've installed Trumpet WinSock, but I've no idea what settings to use to get it to do anything useful.

From what I've picked up here and elsewhere, I may need to set up a PPP server to bridge it. I'm on a Linux host, so that shouldn't be too much hassle.

Anyone point me in the right direction on this?

Reply 1 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I haven't tried this myself, but since you're running Linux I think the easiest way to go might be to use Twinsock in DOSBox with tshost running in Linux. There's an example of someone doing something similar (albeit in a slightly more roundabout way) at http://virtuallyfun.superglobalmegacorp.com/?p=376 (which unfortunately seems to be down at the moment).

There's more instructions relating to Trumpet at http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17070 .

Reply 2 of 5, by kokakoda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's a step in the right direction Jorpho. Unfortunately it looks like that's only relevant to Qemu though.

It was the betaarchive link that led me to ask here.

Cheers for the Twinsock info anyway, that's something to check out.

Reply 3 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The key thing is that DOSBox (plain vanilla DOSBox, no NE2000 necessary) emulates a modem that will initiate a network connection with ATDT [IP Address]. Specifically, if you precede it with ATNET1, your terminal program will act as a Telnet client.
DosBox Guide to Multiplayer Games

Reply 4 of 5, by lucky7456969

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kokakoda wrote:
Firstly, I know it's unsupported etc. etc, but anyway... […]
Show full quote

Firstly, I know it's unsupported etc. etc, but anyway...

Got DOSBox SVN running Win3.1, patched with the E2K support, and I'm trying to get it online. I've installed Trumpet WinSock, but I've no idea what settings to use to get it to do anything useful.

From what I've picked up here and elsewhere, I may need to set up a PPP server to bridge it. I'm on a Linux host, so that shouldn't be too much hassle.

Anyone point me in the right direction on this?

From my experience, if you need to go online, assuming the internet, www etc
First you need megabuild6, set NIC IRQ=9, detect your NIC, then install winpcap, install the ne2000 0x60 and winpkt 0x60 from the autoexec section, lastly, you need to run trumpet winsock from windows 3.1. I don't know if it is necessary, you need to set your router to allow traffic of dosbox to pass thru by port forwarding. I am unable to attach things here

Reply 5 of 5, by freebsdx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bumping this up:

"From my experience, if you need to go online, assuming the internet, www etc
First you need megabuild6, set NIC IRQ=9, detect your NIC, then install winpcap, install the ne2000 0x60 and winpkt 0x60 from the autoexec section, lastly, you need to run trumpet winsock from windows 3.1. I don't know if it is necessary, you need to set your router to allow traffic of dosbox to pass thru by port forwarding. I am unable to attach things here"

Could you elaborate further on this? Like a step by step guide would be nice.

Also I have found this Trumpet driver:

Automated Install of Trumpet Winsock TCP/IP with Windows for Workgroups 3.11

June 3, 1994

INTRODUCTION

This are instructions on how to use the enclosed OEMSETUP.INF and
WINPKT.BAT files to install Trumpet Winsock TCP/IP over Windows for
Workgroups 3.11 using the Network Setup program. This avoids manually
editing the system.ini, protocol.ini, and (perhaps) other files.

This is *only* for Windows for Workgroups 3.11. If you are already
running the MS TCP/IP-32 for Windows(TM) for Workgroups 3.11 (found
at ftp.microsoft.com in \peropsys\wfw\tcpip\vxdbeta) you might question
your sanity. You'll have to remove that first. If you want to do SLIP,
this isn't for you either.

Ok so this seems to be only a protocol replacement and not an adapter. Why would I need this when WFW comes with TCP IP stack which can be updated to:

Microsoft TCP/IP-32 3.11B at WinWorldPC