DOSBox Feature Request Thread

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 298, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ripsaw8080 wrote:

It might not be obvious that config options sbtype=none, oplmode=opl2 will emulate an AdLib card.

Thanks for sharing this! I was wondering about how to enable "Adlib only" in order to hear the FM versions of sound effects in Sierra Games 😀

Reply 21 of 298, by wocko1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

One thing I'd really love Dosbox to have is to select the CPU type from a drop down box, and it sets the cycles accordlingly. Silly thing is that games I bought of GOG.com, like mostly Sierra games, they set the cycles too damn high, and certain parts of the games run too fast. I also have the same problem when I use automatic game configs via D-Fend Reloaded.

2nd Idea: Would it be possible to implement CPU cycle/other settings using .bat files within Dosbox

Also, would it be possible for DOSbox to switch MIDI devices on the fly, like switching from an MT-32 game to a General MIDI game? I find I have to restart Dosbox everytime I change MIDI devices, like an MT-32 for Space Quest III, SC-55 for Stonekeep, MU-80 for Descent and CM-32L for Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis.

Reply 23 of 298, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wocko1 wrote:

like mostly Sierra games

You could also try to feed ScummVM with (early) Sierra games.

wocko1 wrote:

2nd Idea: Would it be possible to implement CPU cycle/other settings using .bat files within Dosbox

I think you've to do that yourself.

Klimawandel.

Reply 24 of 298, by SailorMe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would love to see support for .toc files in imgmount.
According to the doc, using imgmount is better than using the physical cd-reader. The problem is, when making cd images with cdrdao, a toc/bin pair is created. When the cd contains audio data, toc2cue fails to create a valid cuesheet for use in dosbox and the .toc is not recognized by dosbox.

Specifically, I'm having issues with Wipeout (1995). The game music was stored as raw audio tracks, and I can't find a way to run the game with music (either burning to a real cd or mounting in cdemu). In dosbox I tried:

mount d /media/cdrom -t cdrom -noioctl -usecd 0
mount d /media/cdrom -t cdrom -ioctl -usecd 0

In all cases I had ingame sounds but no cd music. Long story short, I had to manually make a .cue file referencing some ogg files in order to have a valid .cue to mount via imgmount. Using the .cue from toc2cue only results in static noise.

Please add support for toc/bin files.

Reply 25 of 298, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SailorMe wrote:

The problem is, when making cd images with cdrdao, a toc/bin pair is created.

So... don't use cdrdao?

I was under the impression that the vast majority of CD image creators used cue files and not .toc at this point. The man page for toc2cue also contains many caveats:

Please note that the resulting cue file is only valid if the toc-file was created with cdrdao(1) using the commands ’re […]
Show full quote

Please note that the resulting cue file is only valid if the toc-file
was created with cdrdao(1) using the commands ’read-toc’ or ’read-cd’.
For manually created or edited toc-files the cue file may not be
correct. This program just checks for the most obvious toc-file
features that cannot be converted to a cue file. Furthermore, if the
toc-file contains audio tracks the byte order of the image file will be
wrong. This will result in static noise when the cue file is used for
recording (even with cdrdao(1) itself).

Reply 26 of 298, by SailorMe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's not like I'm a fan of cdrdao or something... It's just that after searching on google I found that's the proper tool to create bin images. As far as I understand, most tools are Windows-only, but if you know of any alternative please tell me 😀

Please note that the resulting cue file is only valid if the toc-file was created with cdrdao(1) using the commands ’read-toc’ […]
Show full quote

Please note that the resulting cue file is only valid if the toc-file
was created with cdrdao(1) using the commands ’read-toc’ or ’read-cd’.
For manually created or edited toc-files the cue file may not be
correct. This program just checks for the most obvious toc-file
features that cannot be converted to a cue file. Furthermore, if the
toc-file contains audio tracks the byte order of the image file will be
wrong. This will result in static noise when the cue file is used for
recording (even with cdrdao(1) itself).

This is the same snippet that helped me realizing why I was getting static noise and brought me to post on this forum. English is not my mother tongue, but "furthermore" refers to the first sentence I think, meaning that in any case when ripping audio tracks with cdrdao you can't convert the .toc to a .cue (as opposed to only manually created .toc).

I see this is a cdrdao "problem" (I don't know which byte order is more correct and why), but if there isn't any alternative for creating cue/bin pairs I'm stuck with it.

Reply 27 of 298, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SailorMe wrote:

It's not like I'm a fan of cdrdao or something... It's just that after searching on google I found that's the proper tool to create bin images. As far as I understand, most tools are Windows-only, but if you know of any alternative please tell me 😀

Don't Brasero and K3B have that capability?

Reply 30 of 298, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

That's not a dos feature if I understood the last discussion about this correctly.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 31 of 298, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GUS output dumping to .it or .xm or maybe a new format of file

An option for forcing a screen refresh, as in the frames, so Steam overlay doesn't get stuck while it waits for the next rendered changed frame, this might even help with weird Windows SDL input latency problems if you add a zero sleep command for every refresh

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 32 of 298, by rpr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd like to use DOSBox to run some old database programs compiled with Clipper (I have only EXEs, not the source). In DOSBox the programs can use non-English keyboard layout, which doesn't work if the programs run in MS Windows 7 (I've tried all compatibility modes).

But, the programs print to LPT1: port which is not supported in DOSBox. Is there a chance that LPT1: will be supported any time soon?

--rpr.

Reply 33 of 298, by Roger K

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but I'm an old time programmer. Replaced my XP system with a Dell windows 7 laptop, and was disapointed to find that I couldn't run programs that I still support. Downloaded DOSbox and so far I'm pretty well pleased; it's sort of like running my 1981 PC again. (Yeah, I'm that old.) One thing I'm missing is DEBUG. I think I saw an add for a third-party add-on, but I can't find it now. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Reply 34 of 298, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Roger K wrote:

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but I'm an old time programmer. Replaced my XP system with a Dell windows 7 laptop, and was disapointed to find that I couldn't run programs that I still support. Downloaded DOSbox and so far I'm pretty well pleased; it's sort of like running my 1981 PC again. (Yeah, I'm that old.) One thing I'm missing is DEBUG. I think I saw an add for a third-party add-on, but I can't find it now. Can someone point me in the right direction?

you can boot a real DOS disk image from inside DOSBox - that would give you access to all DOS utilities including DEBUG.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 36 of 298, by Roger K

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

you can boot a real DOS disk image from inside DOSBox - that would give you access to all DOS utilities including DEBUG.[/quote]

Thanks, I'll try that. I must have a floppy disk around with boot track. Maybe I could make an image on a thumb drive. The new PC won't support my USB floppy drive.

Reply 37 of 298, by Roger K

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

I think there are some builds with built-in debugger support too, but I am not sure.

Thanks. If anyone around can give me more directions, I'd appreciate it.

Reply 39 of 298, by Roger K

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Roger K wrote:

you can boot a real DOS disk image from inside DOSBox - that would give you access to all DOS utilities including DEBUG.

Thanks, I'll try that. I must have a floppy disk around with boot track. Maybe I could make an image on a thumb drive. The new PC won't support my USB floppy drive.[/quote]

Later...

I tried that with an old boot disk (3" floppy) and I got the message that it was the wrong version of DOS. I could fix that -- if I had DEBUG. Duh! If I had DEBUG I wouldn't need to do that.