VOGONS

First post, by slmkds

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm a little new to all this, just downloaded the boxer application, and I want to play this game http://demu.org/resource-details/163 from this demu.org site. I downloaded the file for this game, but what do I do next?

Reply 1 of 15, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Boxer comes with instructions, read them first before asking questions!

IIRC you just drag and drop the game folder onto the game importer icon and Boxer takes care of the rest. I'm not at my Mac right now though.

Read: http://boxerapp.com/

Reply 2 of 15, by slmkds

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I'm getting stuck on the install process (for the game) where you need to press the f10 key to install to hard disk. I tried going to 'keyboard' under 'system preferences' and checking that option that would enable me to use the f1, f2, etc. keys, but I can't seem to get past that step still.

Reply 3 of 15, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried to reproduce your problem but I can't, it works great here, I have no idea what's happening at your end.
What make/model keyboard do you have?

No problems at all here, wonderful MIDI music, speech, Sound Blaster sound effects, smooth scrolling and straight up, balls out typing like a madman.

Reply 4 of 15, by Archy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's been a while since I've used a mac but, to get Fxx keys working, press and hold Function and then press the Fxx key. If this doesn't work, try holding the command key, then try holding the ALT key, ect until one works.

Reply 5 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If you are having problems with boxer, contacttheboxer author.
Or use dosbox (on which boxer is based) and follow dosbox' instructions.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 15, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is nothing wrong with Boxer, I tried this yesterday, pressing F10 when the game asks for it works fine, it installs and runs with no problems at all.
I use a Logitech keyboard on my Mac though, which has its own drivers, keyboard layout settings and so on.

"slmkds" issue is keyboard or OS configuration-related.

Reply 7 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

@Sune, I didn't mean this particular problem but generally if you have problems when using boxer, then ask the boxer author.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Hmm, I could write the same again...

Reply 10 of 15, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Remember that Boxer uses a non the standard release of DOSBox. He has modified it, so any issues with the DOSBox that Boxer uses should not be expected to be supported here. It is for the Boxer author to support.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 11 of 15, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You guys sound like a broken record.

The OP's issue is not related to boxer or dosbox, it's an OS configuration issue or keyboard issue.

The Mario Teaches Typing demo installs and works perfectly fine using Boxer on my Mac.

If we can't talk about that here just come right out and say it in plain English, otherwise either post something constructive or go repeat yourselves somewhere else.

Reply 12 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Sune, how hard is it to read?

@Sune, I didn't mean this particular problem but generally if you have problems when using boxer, then ask the boxer author.

I *acknowledged* what you wrote but also wrote that *generally* problems with boxer need to go to the boxer author.
Is that so hard to understand?

Reply 13 of 15, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes and I acknowledged what you said. So what? It's not about me, I don't have any problems using Boxer.
Why do you keep repeating it, what's that about?
Am I doing something wrong by helping the OP here? Tell me what it is that I'm doing wrong in plain English.

If someone wants to read that "boxer issues should be discussed with the boxer author" more than once they can just read your first post in the thread again.

The OPs issue is not with Boxer, are you saying that people should talk about general keyboard issues with the Boxer author?

Reply 14 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The OPs issue is not with Boxer, are you saying that people should talk about general keyboard issues with the Boxer author?

don't try to be cute, you are obviously not meant to. The op was using boxer. Right? So it stands to reason that all problems he has with boxer should be brought up with the boxer author.
Please point out where I wrote that people should discuss their general keyboard problems with the boxer author.
And yes, AGAIN, this problem was not caused by boxer. I aknowledged this more than once or twice now. The second time I brought the author up I just wanted to make sure that the author understands that GENERALLY all problems with boxer....
Obviously I was right to do that since you couldn't understand it the first three times.

Reply 15 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

And no you did nothing wrong,I just wondered why you like to bring it up again and again, the topic was done at the 20th...