VOGONS

Reply 80 of 238, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting thanks, must have missed that. I will give it a shot on my machines 😀

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 81 of 238, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
e-man wrote:
Are there any tools / programs I can try to solve this with my Voodoo 3 PCI: http://www.vanbetten.eu/keen4bug.JPG […]
Show full quote

Are there any tools / programs I can try to solve this with my Voodoo 3 PCI:
keen4bug.JPG

Apparently the red tint is caused by the monitor.

I have three monitors connected through a VGA splitter. On two of them (old 15" CRT and IBM TFT), the picture appears normal. The third one (HP LP2065) shows the same tint as seen in e-man's screenshot.

Reply 82 of 238, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, some V3s have indeed this issues, I did a video showing this effect a while ago.
Here first with Cosmo and then with Keen.
ftp://78.46.141.148/videos/super_ega_on_voodoo3.mkv

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 83 of 238, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, should have been more specific: It seems to be caused by the combination of a V3 card and certain TFT monitors.

Samsung SyncMaster 205BW also shows the red tint.

Did anyone ever see it happen on a CRT?

Reply 84 of 238, by someperson42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote:

I've always wanted to ask... is it plagues with scrolling bugs like the ET4000?
IIRC I had a couple of ET4000's and they were horrible in games like Keen4 🤣 or messed up gfx in Jazz Jackrabbit, are these fixed? (or am I completely wrong and thinking of another card? it could be the case since I no longer have older vgas other than s3, cirus and rivas...)

I have an ET6000, and yes, it has bugs. Keen 4 works if you turn on "SVGA Compatibility", but Jazz Jackrabbit is just a buggy mess with this card. Also, Keen 1 has jerky scrolling.

jaqie wrote:

ATI also has its share of bugs. Jazz Jackrabbit and Keen 1 work fine with a Rage II+DVD, but Keen 4 is an unfixable mess, even with the compatibility options enabled.

What I've personally found to work well is the S3 Virge series. I have yet to experience a problem with them, and I wonder if their good compatibility is why DOSBox is set to svga_s3 by default. The 4MB S3 Virge/VX, in particular, is notable because it can go up to 1600x1200 at 16-bit color, a feat specific to this model.

Reply 85 of 238, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
someperson42 wrote:
jaqie wrote:

ATI also has its share of bugs. Jazz Jackrabbit and Keen 1 work fine with a Rage II+DVD, but Keen 4 is an unfixable mess, even with the compatibility options enabled.

What I've personally found to work well is the S3 Virge series. I have yet to experience a problem with them, and I wonder if their good compatibility is why DOSBox is set to svga_s3 by default. The 4MB S3 Virge/VX, in particular, is notable because it can go up to 1600x1200 at 16-bit color, a feat specific to this model.

I have read over and over again about the old dos compatibility of the S3 Trio64/Virge , if this is true , and they are so cheap and common, why don't couple it with a Voodoo2 SLI. Wouldn't this give the biggest spectrum from old dos games to 3D late 90's ? Or are these Voodoo2 only good at Glide?

Reply 89 of 238, by maw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jaqie wrote:

after reading that thread (thx for it) up and down and down and up i try now a Rage128Pro. I build atm a second smaller version of my dos box with a HTPC case where only low profile cards fits in and my board can hold only pci and one isa. And tata the ati is a low profile pci 😀 was hard to find. I hope it will do the job well. probably better than the onboard VIA Apollo MVP4 AGPset solution. Lets see when the card is here.

M.

BOX#1: new rebuild no case currently | ASUS P5A | Pentium1 200 | 64MB PC100 | Voodoo3 AGP | AWE64 GOLD + SIMMConn| 16GB Kingspec DOM | DVD Drive | Dos 6.22 + Win98

Reply 90 of 238, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

does anyone have experience with flashing a RAGE128 from a B&W g3 for DOS/WFW311?

trying to find a .rom file

the only pci cards i have are:
radeon 7000 pci (sapphire)
radeon 9250 pci (powercolor)
rage 128 (b&w g3 oem)

but i have a couple of AGP cards
2 x TNT M64.
1 x rage pro turbo AGP (1998) P/N 1025-11000 OOU1

would the rage pro turbo have windows 3.11? drivers?

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 92 of 238, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GXL750 wrote:

ATI Rage XL is available in PCI and works under Win 3.1 with the Mach 64 drivers. It's based on the Rage Pro and was popular in servers in the early to mid 2000s.

How long did the Rage series of GPUs maintain register compatibility with the Mach 64? The reason I ask is ATI only officially support the Rage II+ in Windows 3.1x with late version Mach64 drivers and was wondering if they worked with the Rage Pro, 128, and 128 Pro since I have several of the cards here.

Reply 93 of 238, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not sure and also not sure if it's different with AGP cards. The Rage XL is an early 2000s chip. However, the Rage XL is pretty much just a die shrink of the Rage Pro with a different memory configuration. I've seen Rage XL PCI run in Windows 3.1 with Mach64 drivers. With that said, what works with a Rage Pro might work with Rage XL but not Rage 128.

The drivers it ran with in 3.1 were copyrighted 1994.

Reply 94 of 238, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I came from the V3000-AGP+V1 and now I use a G200a AGP with a Voodoo1 in my main retro-pc.
I like the G200a for it's really great and colorful image quality. The drivers are also really
good and fast in Win3x/Win9x/Win2k. (OS2/3 is not installed yet).

The Voodoo3 Win3x driver is very slow. Though it adresses only one-tmu but it's very slow
compared to the matrox driver.

I had some issues in the combination of v3 with v1. I only installed the voodoo3 drivers in
Windows and copied the v1 files into the game folder. sometimes this worked good, some-
time not.

I can't get the dos-glide-games to work with the voodoo3 only, so I have to put the voodoo1
in that system.

Is the 3d-part of the banshee as compatible, als the real voodoo1?

Thx
Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 95 of 238, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

there is only a handful of DOS games that will only run on a V1, check out the list here: Voodoo 2 DOS Glide compatibility matrix

Reply 96 of 238, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NJRoadfan wrote:
GXL750 wrote:

ATI Rage XL is available in PCI and works under Win 3.1 with the Mach 64 drivers. It's based on the Rage Pro and was popular in servers in the early to mid 2000s.

How long did the Rage series of GPUs maintain register compatibility with the Mach 64? The reason I ask is ATI only officially support the Rage II+ in Windows 3.1x with late version Mach64 drivers and was wondering if they worked with the Rage Pro, 128, and 128 Pro since I have several of the cards here.

Might be directly related to, say, the compatibility of things like Mechwarrior 2? Works on ATI Rage through Rage XL, but not 128.

Reply 97 of 238, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

MW2 on ATI Rage is barely playable, doesn't make sense at all

Reply 98 of 238, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The CIF version of MW2 is certainly playable and a nice upgrade to the software renderer, although it's inferior to all the other MW2 ports to proprietary graphics APIs.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder