VOGONS

Reply 20 of 132, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Episode 5 is being edited, I might end up uploading it tomorrow.

Basically, my converter box STILL hasn't arrived, so this week I tested out my RaspberryPi-as-a-modem setup with my new Tandy 1000 and filmed the results!

I used a terminal emulator called "Conex", which is a lot simpler than Kermit, a lot smaller than Telix, and still has Zmodem built-in.

Anywho, stay tuned fans! 😀

(Yes, fanS!! More than 1!! Stoked!!!! Thank you all for watching!)

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 21 of 132, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well guys, another week, another impromptu non-RGB-project-related video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPYY0uOSSY4

Using the Tandy as a terminal, means you can do anything Linux can do, so you could surf the web using Lynx, or have a yarn in IRC using irssi, or anything else you can imagine doing on a terminal. These things are of little practical value, I guess, but it's all good fun! 😀 The main focus is as an alternative file transfer method.

Reply 23 of 132, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MaxWar wrote:

Says the video is private 🙁

Whoops, thought I'd cleared that tick.

Fixed now! 😀

Reply 24 of 132, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice stuff!! Its my favorite episode so far i think!

You possibly are the first person in the world to include both a Raspberry Pi and some Tandy 3 voice audio in the same video. Grats! 😁

Talking of Tandy, i still have not received mine, and we bought it on the same day 🙁

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 26 of 132, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, I'm a happy little Vegemite today...

It finally arrived!

9DFQ3.jpg

So I made up the cable for the Master System. The components will be hidden in a little box eventually, the thickness of the cables means there wasn't enough room to hide the components inside the SCART plug.

ceREbl.jpg
wkv6Ql.jpg

The picture initially had a green tint to it, so I popped open the converter and fiddled with the trimpots a little.

O2ubcl.jpg

The results are well worth the effort! Note how the red colour of the hearts doesn't bleed into the grey area. The individual pixels are well defined and visible.

Before (composite video):
wTtYLl.jpg

After (SCART RGB to Component YUV):
PZN1Tl.jpg

These images need to be viewed at full size to really see the difference:

Before (composite): http://i.imgur.com/v9OT3.jpg
After (RGB): http://i.imgur.com/xSV3r.jpg

Reply 27 of 132, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very nice. But where are the scanlines? Is it possible that the converter prevents them from displaying?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 28 of 132, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This TV only seems to show horizontal scanlines with a 60Hz source, I"ve only been testing 50Hz stuff so far.

Also it's a newer CRT with an aperture grille instead of a shadow mask, which makes the scanlines slightly less visible, even at 60Hz.

I'll try to get some photos tonight.

Reply 29 of 132, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Episode 6 is live!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_1-yl7yiok

I finally get to make an RGB cable! Yay!

Reply 30 of 132, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice job with that cable, well done. Scart plugs sure look kind of Tricky to make just right, somewhat glad we dont have those in NA.

Im just wondering about the DIN plug soldering, the pins are usually made like tubes so i thought the idea was just to insert the wire inside them then solder in place, but looking at the video im not sure your pins have the holes.

I made some mini-din cables for my PC-Engine and at first i was like "omg its so close" But it ended up being not too bad because i could insert the wires inside the tubes, would not have wanted to try soldering it on the side of the pins :p

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 31 of 132, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, that particular plug just had posts to solder to (or if it was hollow, it was too narrow for me to see!), it was very cheap though, about $4 delivered from Hong Kong. The Saturn plug had those little tubes, which helped a lot.

Reply 32 of 132, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi guys, sorry for the lack of video'age so far this week. I have the footage and commentary all shot and recorded, but when I sat down to start editing on Sunday night (aiming for an overnight render+upload and "live and public" on Monday morning), my brain decided it was too big for its cavity, and I've been having awful throbbing headaches since. Nothing excruciating or foetal-position-inducing, but very uncomfortable, blocking me from spending extended periods on a computer. It's eased up and I feel somewhat better tonight, hopefully after a nice long sleep I'll be able to get stuck in to iMovie and upload this beeyatch tomorrow. Watch this space, friends! 😀

Reply 34 of 132, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Episode 7 is live!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouRCco2CiAg

This week, a quick look at a horrible bit of shareware. Enjoy it, then avoid the game forever. Seriously.

Anyhow, the missus and I are going away on for the weekend, so episode 8 will be made next weekend.

Reply 35 of 132, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very nice. Recently I bought a new camera and tested the video function with some look around in my 'retro computer room'.
I am no native english speaker so, no talk this time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j1G3S04zyc

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 36 of 132, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A much belated 8th episode is now online!

http://youtu.be/6k-eAm9XlM4

This week, a look at my Commodore 1541 floppy drive, writing Commodore floppies from a PC, and comparing an original PC demoscene demo with a C64 re-make!

Enjoy!

Edit: Oh, also, new title card! Let me know what you think! 😀

Reply 38 of 132, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just as a note: There is a format disk option already in the star commanders disk copy dialog. So no need to do it separately.
Also getting some multi function modul as Action Replay or Final Cartridge is much more comfortable, especially due to the loading time benefit.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 39 of 132, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elianda wrote:

Just as a note: There is a format disk option already in the star commanders disk copy dialog. So no need to do it separately.

Ah, I didn't even notice! That'll save some dicking about in future. Thanks! 😀

elianda wrote:

Also getting some multi function modul as Action Replay or Final Cartridge is much more comfortable, especially due to the loading time benefit.

True, but that costs money! 😜

I accomplished this with stuff I had lying around, even the XE1541 cable is made from bits salvaged from others places. I'm a tightass like that. 😀