DXGL (DDraw\D3D wrapper to OGL)

Topic actions

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.williamfeely.info/wiki/DXGL#Downloads

DXGL is a project to create a DirectDraw/Direct3D version 1 to 7 implementation that runs on OpenGL 2.x. It is intended to allev […]
Show full quote

DXGL is a project to create a DirectDraw/Direct3D version 1 to 7 implementation that runs on OpenGL 2.x. It is intended to alleviate some of the graphics glitches inherent with using legacy DirectX interfaces on modern video cards. The API will be 100% binary compatible with the system ddraw.dll file.
DXGL is currently in an alpha stage, but several applications and games already work.
System Requirements

Windows XP, Vista, 7, or 8 (May work under recent builds of Wine)
OpenGL 2.0 or higher compatible video card, with hardware accelerated non-power-of-two size textures
Visual C++ 2010 x86 runtime, available at http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5555 (will be installed if not present)

Everyone start testing and reporting your DirectDraw and <DX7 games!

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 21, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

Everyone start testing and reporting your DirectDraw and <DX7 games!

If this ever works on W9X and GL 1.1 (what dx>gl wrapper does?), I'll try wrapping it to the PowerVR MiniGL

I noticed Fallout works fine on it. Now if only the bsnes crt shader could be ported to it! 🤣

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 21, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fallout 1 demo works too
Windows 7 64bit
Run in Windows 95 compatibility mode.
DXGL fixes Windows 7 color issue

Reply 6 of 21, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ooooohhhhh, I see we could play our old 32 bit games like say starcraft for diablo 1 with out all technicolor spew (rainbow color glitch). If i'm understanding this right. If so this is awesome.

Reply 7 of 21, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This issue is fixed on Windows 8 (at least for the few games I have tested) but yeah this and the other ddraw fixes/wrappers work pretty good at fixing that issue for Windows 7.

Reply 10 of 21, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Too bad this doesn't work with Steam overlay.

does it cause problems with other programs? or can you not play your games using it with steam overlay?

Reply 11 of 21, by jclampy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow! I am stunned.
Just tried it out on a game and worked perfectly.

RayForce (DirectDraw) fullscreen 1280x960 @ 60FPS
Perfect scrolling and rock solid 60FPS.
WinXP32, ATI HD4670 AGP. DXGL v0.4.0
Results:
Video Card VSync OFF and WITHOUT DXGL = 600+FPS (640x480@75Hz)
Video Card VSync ON and WITHOUT DXGL = 600+FPS (640x480@75Hz)
Video Card VSync OFF and WITH DXGL = 100+FPS (1280x960@60Hz)
Video Card VSync ON and WITH DXGL = 60FPS (1280x960@60Hz)

Will try some more games out tomorrow.
This looks very promising indeed!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Edit1:
Raiden II doesn't want to work with this .dll
The game by default always starts in a window and then usually you have to go through the game menu and tell it to go fullscreen every time you start the game. With this .dll it just crashes as soon as game is run.

Edit2:
Can somebody please explain how to get a shader working with this?
Or is it not fully implemented yet?
Is it possible to use something like a HQ2x.fx or Cartoon.fx shader?

Thanks.

Reply 12 of 21, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm gonna have to try this on a machine some time. maybe i could play the older command and conquers in 640x480 with rainbow throw up, same with start craft and diablo 1.

Reply 13 of 21, by jclampy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Damn, I'm too tied up testing DirectX8 D3D games at the moment so haven't been able to look at DXGL really.

Just tried RAYSTORM and it wouldn't run with DXGL. Wouldn't run with D3DWindower, DXWind, or DDraw to DDraw wrapper either. Guess the RAYSTORM wants to keep to itself and not share with anything else.

Damn shame, that game is screaming out for 1280x960.

If you want to know; when RAYSTORM is run with DXGL an error? box pops up with something like 'primary display driver DXGL hardware accelerator...' YES/NO if you click YES it exits out to desktop. If you click NO it changes to ''primary display driver DXGL hardware accelerator with Transform and Lighting...' YES/NO. If you click YES it exits out to desktop. If you click NO it just cycles back to the previous boxed message and so on...

gutted 😢

Edit1:
Just tried 'Darius Gaiden' (DirectDraw) with no luck. Game did not crash and there
were no error boxes. It seems that the game took no notice of any DDraw hooks.
I also noticed the games .exe executed a loader instead of going straight into the game.

This made me think; what if there was another .exe even if hidden and I was right.
There was a file called 'Darius.bin' of about 3MB.
I renamed it to DariusG.exe and ran it. The game came up straight away!
I then configured DXGL to use that DariusG.exe instead.
I then ran DariusG.exe and everything worked fine so now I can use custom resolutions.

Interesting to note that this PC port of 'Darius Gaiden' appears to run at 50FPS. So, it
would be best to have monitor in a resolution of 50Hz or a multiple like 75Hz or 100Hz, etc... instead of 60Hz

Reply 14 of 21, by jclampy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Been using this for a while and from what I gather this utility is still very much in the 'preliminary stages'. I can really see the future potential though, once the functionality/usability gets more complete.

Correct me if I'm wrong; but it looks to me that DXGL output's to the same resolution that your desktop is in. I also noticed that DXGL is not compatible with all resolutions and crashes with no error messages. For example; sometimes does not like 1152x864.

Hopefully in the future, users will be able to manually specify what resolution DXGL will output.

Reply 15 of 21, by Deadalus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bumping this, it fixes Jane's Fighter Anthology's color issue (which usually requires explorer.exe to be terminated as the default solution), however seems the ddraw.dll mutes the sound, no sound at all as the side effect.

Reply 16 of 21, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you think it will be possible to raise output resolution for old windows games with locked resolution?

Example: Typing of the dead (locked at 640x480)

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 17 of 21, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Myloch wrote:

Do you think it will be possible to raise output resolution for old windows games with locked resolution?

Example: Typing of the dead (locked at 640x480)

My guess is that DXGL won't make it possible (and in most cases it isn't possible), but perhaps he will offer your choice of scaling algorithm and filters eventually.

To be certain, you should probably ask the author via his email form or forums, because he does not visit here (yet).

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 18 of 21, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your opinions about dxgl? I think it's the best general purpose wrapper (for ddraw at least), with dgvoodoo2 as a co-winner, which I find more compatible for direct3d games. I just love how latest Dxgl can crank up internal resolution for a lot of games to obtain really crisp output, compared to dgvoodoo2's blurry output. But I think direct3d still needs a lot of work: all old direct3d games I tried don't even start (crash to desktop)!

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 19 of 21, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think there's a bit of irony in having a DX->OGL wrapper for 'compatibility', seeing as in the early days of 3D acceleration, we had OGL->DX wrappers for compatibility, seeing as OGL support wasn't very widespread. And in fact, even today we still have this, in WebGL. All major browsers translate WebGL (essentially an OGL dialect) to Direct3D on Windows.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/