VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by trist007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Was it a sc-55? Or was it meant to be used with the soundfonts that they provide? Here's a zip file of the ultima online midi files with soundfonts

darkterminal.net/uo.zip

-Tristan

Reply 1 of 8, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Ultima 8 soundtrack was composed on a SC-55, while Ultima 6+7 are MT-32 games. I don't know about the earlier titles in the series.
U9 didn't use MIDI music anymore (iirc).

Ultima Online was already for Windows 9x and used an early DirectX version. I guess Windows just used the soundfonts supplied with the game. I remember playing it back in 97/98 when it was released and it sounded exactly the same on every system I played on, regardless of the soundcard.

::42::

Reply 3 of 8, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mystery wrote:

while Ultima 6+7 are MT-32 games.

I agree about Ultima 7, but Ultima 6 was definitely composed for FM, not MT-32: the *.M format music files, when decompressed, contain no instrument numbers but OPL2 instruments directly hard-coded into the song data, with the MT-32 driver getting its instruments from a separate text file MIDI.DAT.

And be it noted that Ultima 3-5's music was composed for the Apple II's Mockingboard expansion card.

Reply 4 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mystery wrote:

I remember playing it back in 97/98 when it was released and it sounded exactly the same on every system I played on, regardless of the soundcard.

I beg to differ. One of the combat musics always sounded "farty" on OPL3. 😀

Shame they ditched all the midis and old "chest" interface in the later clients.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 8, by trist007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I like installing the original Renaissance UO which has all the old school midi files and interface. Then I just play on pre-AOS public shards. Been playing since 99 and still love it. Even better when you're piping the midi through a Roland SC-55mkii.

-Tristan

Reply 6 of 8, by pianoman72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NewRisingSun wrote:
Mystery wrote:

while Ultima 6+7 are MT-32 games.

I agree about Ultima 7, but Ultima 6 was definitely composed for FM, not MT-32: the *.M format music files, when decompressed, contain no instrument numbers but OPL2 instruments directly hard-coded into the song data, with the MT-32 driver getting its instruments from a separate text file MIDI.DAT.

That's true, but I personally like the richness in the music and sound effects better on the MT-32, which have a more spacious, orchestral feel to them.

Reply 8 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NewRisingSun wrote:

And be it noted that Ultima 3-5's music was composed for the Apple II's Mockingboard expansion card.

Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny Complete Soundtrack (Part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjqRGVFtlDw

Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny Complete Soundtrack (Part 2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5FtbmivT4Y

Also interesting: An Apple II sound card with electron tubes..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04uzSLSjHt0

Now we need to make an AdLib clone card with tubes. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//