VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm trying to run this game on Win7, but all I get is a 1/4 screen with messed up colours. If I set the flag "HideDisplayModes" in ACT 5.6 (which is also part of Win95/98/Me compatibility modes), the screen is fine but the game will close itself after the intro logo. ForceDirectDrawEmulation flag had no effects. Any suggestions?

Reply 2 of 10, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That didn't work. It's not that well-known messed up 8-bit colour problem. The screen is also squished into 1/4 of its size and there appears to be only grey and red colours.

Reply 3 of 10, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Damn, it'll not even run under Virtual Machines because it explicitly needs the 320x200 resolution. I don't know what to do anymore.

Reply 5 of 10, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the info, I'll try that out. However, if only I could add that resolution to the flag "HideDisplayModes" in ACT 5.6 the problem would also be solved and I would not need a VM anymore. Anyone knows if this is possible?
Edit: Ok, I got it to run using Win9x drivers instead of VirtualPC additions ones. It ran ok, with some jerkyness on high fps areas. I'd still like to be able to run it on the real machine.

Reply 6 of 10, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, I managed to run it under Win7 by removing every resolution from the nvidia .inf file in the driver install folder, however I'd only have the basic 4:3 modes plus the monitor's native resolution. One of the resolution modes is certainly causing this. The game might be trying to switch to it instead of regular startup resolution (640x480). Has anyone got a clue which modes should I try removing?

Reply 7 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is your desktop normally running at a 16:9 resolution?

I found out a while ago that Popcap's games do not scale properly unless the desktop resolution is 4:3 before the game is launched. (It's some really weird, old DirectX thing not supported by nvidia's drivers.)

Reply 8 of 10, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

Is your desktop normally running at a 16:9 resolution?

I found out a while ago that Popcap's games do not scale properly unless the desktop resolution is 4:3 before the game is launched. (It's some really weird, old DirectX thing not supported by nvidia's drivers.)

I had already tried that, but made no difference. I got the game partly working by removing most resolutions from the drivers and leaving only the ones I use (the basic 4:3 resolutions are always shown, so I removed them anyway since they'll always stay). Menus which run at 320x240 are still messed up, but game plays fine.

Reply 9 of 10, by tomoa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To run Flight Unlimited for Windows 95 under Windows 7 32 bit (don't know 64 bit) You have to:

run w7ddpatcher

https://m.box.com/file/26552741729/download?s … gmq2hwzoy7n79q0

and path flight.exe, and make batch

taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
flight.exe
Start explorer.exe

Forceware up to 200, Geforce up to GTX 285.

It run also on windows XP 32 bit on motherboards with pci-e on Nvidia graphics cards: PCX's, 6800 pci-e, 7900 pci-e, 8800 GTX, GTX 275/285 with Forceware 65 to 185.

I play the games successfully on motherboards: Intel P35 (Asus P5K Premium), nForce 790 SLI (Asus Striker II Extreme/NSF) with Nvidia graphics cards: PCX 5900, 6800 GT, 7900 GTO, 8800 GTX, GTX 275 with Forceware 65 to 185 also with SLI on Windows XP SP3 32 bit.

Probably on Geforce 400 series and higher game will not work and Forceware 200 and higher game will not work. Game may not works also on Geforce 9 series, 100 series and some other Nvidia cards.

I did not test the game on Radeon cards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwfJCGFJ7j4

Poland , http://komputery-retro.ddns.net/ http://komputery-retro.ddns.net/blog/ , I like old games and old computers 😀