VOGONS

Yamaha S-YXG50 and DB50XG

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 106, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, I managed to get a CMI8330 to attach my XR385 to.

Wow what a combination! This card actually sounds really good! 😁

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 101 of 106, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry to dig up this old(er) message thread, but I've been recently having a little more fun with the S-YXG50 😀

My own little Yamaha XG rendition of Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode". Sequenced with Cakewalk Professional v3.01, and synthesized using the Yamaha S-YXG50 v4.23.14S WDM software synthesizer.

http://tinyurl.com/Johnny-B-Goode-XG

😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 102 of 106, by quasarstrider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Guys, sorry to rehash this old thread, but I think you could find this interesting:
http://veg.by/en/projects/syxg50/

Some guy reverse engineered the Yamaha S-YXG50 SoftSynth as a VSTi Plugin! You can then use it on applications which support VSTi Plugins like foobar2000 to play MIDI files. It was lovely to listen to the old Warcraft II MIDI files like they sounded on my old SB16 + DB-50XG... You can also use this with a VST MIDI Driver on Windows XP/Vista/7+.

He basically reverse engineered the WDM driver (the assembly code and Yamaha .TBL sound sample format) and made it into a plugin. I think this should be of interest for anyone attempting to reproduce the DB-50XG with software emulation.

PS: Oops. Sorry for the dupe. Only now I noticed this:
Yamaha S-YXG50 Portable VSTi (a software MIDI synth)

Reply 103 of 106, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just bumped into this thread, and I can add that there's another Yamaha softsynth out there (that doesn't work on anything higher than Windows 95): S-YG20. If one of my recent activities works out, I'll soonish own a CD containing it. 😁

Some more information on it:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.m … ngs/iREdRZCkJe0
http://veg.by/en/blog/2016/04/25/yamaha-midi-synth-history/

rfnagel wrote:

That's some of those effects that I was talking about earlier in action. That thing supports overdrive, distortion, tube and stacked amp effects, as well as a plethora of others ("Variation" effects, as Yamaha calls 'em). Heh, on some of the fancier the external versions of the card (MU80, etc...), they even had line ins and outs so's you could use the effects for other things (e.g. in place of an effects "stomp box" for a guitar).

Unfortunately, that usually doesn't work. Most GM modules with line-ins, including most MU-units, will only mix the line-in input with their own output. There are very few units that can actually apply their internal effects to line-in input. On my MU-10 it's possible, but at the cost of reducing the polyphony from 32 to 30 voices.

rfnagel wrote:

Oh well.. was hoping to find another "XG-ified" game (like FF7), but I guess not.

There appear to be more of them, but most of them are Japanese games that weren't released outside of Japan. Floppies and CD-ROMs with XG-format music files were also released in Japan, similar to disks with Roland-oriented SMF files on them.

Reply 104 of 106, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote:

Unfortunately, that usually doesn't work. Most GM modules with line-ins, including most MU-units, will only mix the line-in input with their own output. There are very few units that can actually apply their internal effects to line-in input.

That's not quite right. Most MU-units allow that - starting with the MU80. It's easy to spot which ones can, since those that can have a golden input jack.

Reply 105 of 106, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

Unfortunately, that usually doesn't work. Most GM modules with line-ins, including most MU-units, will only mix the line-in input with their own output. There are very few units that can actually apply their internal effects to line-in input.

That's not quite right. Most MU-units allow that - starting with the MU80. It's easy to spot which ones can, since those that can have a golden input jack.

That's what I get for not checking 😊 .

Something I'm not entirely clear on is whether the MU-80 and higher can actually use all effects on any input, or only preset effects (that can be modified) that are best suited for a particular input type. The manuals seem to suggest the latter.
On the MU-10 this limitation doesn't seem to exist, as it lacks all but the most basic presets for the A/D inputs.

Golden connectors are more often used on pro-level gear; the gold layer improves conduction and protects the connector from oxidation. The MU-10 connectors don't have it.

Reply 106 of 106, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:

Just bumped into this thread, and I can add that there's another Yamaha softsynth out there (that doesn't work on anything higher than Windows 95): S-YG20. If one of my recent activities works out, I'll soonish own a CD containing it. 😁

Scratch the "doesn't work on anything higher than Windows 95", it works fine on 98SE. Except that you can't install both the S-YG20 and S-YXG50 softsynths on the same installation of Windows - trying to install S-YXG50 after installing S-YG20 will result in a driver-related error message and the installation will abort. S-YG20 includes a special Yamaha MIDI driver that can be loaded and unloaded at will (unloading requires restarting Windows).