VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by potionmaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have been trying to compile DosBox Megabuild 6 on Ubuntu 12.04 in order to get the printing facility going. I have followed the instructions from h-a-l-9000 to the letter, and everything goes fine until the "make" routine, when it bombs out with errors as regards some issue with the microprocessor. Does anyone have any idea what is going wrong? Am I missing some vital system information?
Thanks. 😕

Reply 1 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Wrong architecture perhaps?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 18, by potionmaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not sure. The machine I am compiling it on is a HP Compaq DC7600 small formfactor with 3GB of RAM and a Pentium 4, 3 Ghz microprocessor. I have a 160 GB hard drive with plenty of empty space. Video is Intel 945Gx86/MMX/SSE2 - pretty vanilla stuff I would guess.
I just noticed one thing however, Ubuntu states that the processor is Pentium 4 x 2 while there appears to be only one core in the cpu.
Any suggestions on how to get around this?
Thanks, Paul.

Reply 3 of 18, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
potionmaster wrote:

Ubuntu states that the processor is Pentium 4 x 2 while there appears to be only one core in the cpu.

Socket 775 Pentium 4's normally have HyperThreading.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 6 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Maybe start with all your commands and the exact error.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 18, by potionmaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK. I'll have a go at compiling this again. But sorry about having to deal with the basics, but how do I record what appears in the terminal box? It happens too fast to see clearly let alone copy; and at the conclusion of running a command only a small portion of the action shows in the window.

Reply 8 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You can scroll and mark everything (ctrl-a?) copy and then paste. Or mark only parts with the mouse.

Reply 9 of 18, by potionmaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, in hindsight it was obvious.
I have done a recompile and have found exactly the same problem; the "make" section comes up with multiple errors.
I have attached the whole thing as a text file; sorry for the length, but the errors occur in the final part; everything else seems to work OK.

Attachments

Reply 10 of 18, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Personally, I'd have left the libsdl-net1.2 and libsdl-sound1.2 alone, and installed the libsdl-net1.2-dev and libsdl-sound1.2-dev, but I don't think that's causing the problem.

There's a discussion about problems with compiling Mega Build 6 at
dosbox megabuild setup.cpp error
with a comment by h-a-l9000 about a somewhat similar compiler error
"Add this line:

#include <stddef.h>

near the other includes of cpu.cpp at the top. It will probably also complain about dos.cpp and ems.cpp, so add the line there too."
but that was for Ubuntu 11.10, and might not necessarily be the same problems that you're facing, so no guarantees.

Also you might want to install libfreetype6, and libfreetype6-dev, as in looking at the configuration, it mentioned that the printer was disabled, and you mentioned that was why you wanted this version.

Reply 11 of 18, by potionmaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello dougdahl, I will install the relevant program and this time leave the libsdl-net1.2 and libsdl-sound1.2 alone.
Could you tell me the commands needed to install libsdl-net1.2-dev and libsdl-sound1.2-dev? I may as well eliminate any possible problems from the onset.
Again the command line for installing libfreetype6, and libfreetype6-dev?
As far as the line "#include <stddef.h>" is concerned, where does this go? What shell script and what line number?
The printers I am using are network printer (I have two network printers set up in Ubuntu 12.04). One is a HP Mono Laserjet and the other a HP Inkjet which both run PCL5. I have no problems printing to either of these in Ubuntu, and the shell script I am using to print the printer files generated by the Dos programs works well; except that I have to close the programs and leave DosBox each time in order to print, which limits the practical use of the programs; hence my desire to get the MB6 going. Paul.

Reply 12 of 18, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

sudo apt-get install libsdl-net1.2-dev libsdl-sound1.2-dev libfreetype6 libfreetype6-dev
should do the trick on Ubuntu. (Though you will have to run ./configure again to get the compiler to realize that those files are present now. And if you aren't going to use anything network or modem related, you likely don't really need either of the libsdl-net packages, then again I have no idea how mega-build works, so it might be better to have them just in case.)

The locations of the files you need to change should be src/cpu/cpu.cpp src/dos/dos.cpp and src/ints/ems.cpp in the dosbox-mb6 subdirectories, but I haven't seen the layout of mega-build, so I can't be certain. You could always try using find or locate from the command line and see where they are.
No idea precisely which line numbers, but I'd put it among the other #include lines that are near the top of those files.

Reply 13 of 18, by potionmaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello dougdahl, thanks for that.
Have installed the files as instructed, added the line to the three files and recompiled same.
It looks like there are still problems, but further into the compile, which may be good news (or not).
Have attached the command line output file that show all my actions as well as the progress.
Paul.

Attachments

Reply 14 of 18, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not sure if this is applicable but in
GCC 4.6.0
it suggests adding
#include <stddef.h>
to include/dos_inc.h.

PS Just found
http://dosbox.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/dosb … 713&view=markup
that has the proper location as line 30, after the lines
#ifndef DOSBOX_DOS_SYSTEM_H
#include "dos_system.h"
#endif
#ifndef DOSBOX_MEM_H
#include "mem.h"
#endif

Reply 15 of 18, by potionmaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did as recommended, seemed to get a good compile, but still something is missing, as I have no program.
So here is attached a text file with the last bit of the compile, for some reason the first bit is missing. Paul.

Attachments

Reply 17 of 18, by potionmaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Qbix, Yes there it is. Moved it to the /usr/bin directory and it works.
So many thanks to dougdahl for his help and patience.
Had a bit of a play with it and noted one peculiarity; this version of dosbox locks up on GeoWorks 3.2a on exit unless you work in a window and hit a (actually any) key on exit. Strange.
Anyhow the more pressing problem is to get the programs to print, and my effort so far have got me nowhere.
I have two network printers, with the Linux names:
HP-LaserJet-m2727-MFP
HP-Deskjet-930c
respectively.
I can print using a print file generated by my Dos program through lp and lpr under Ubuntu. But the problem is that I have to exit the program and dosbox to make it print, which limits the usefulness of this program.
So can anyone help me with the correct syntax for the dosbox.conf file?

Reply 18 of 18, by potionmaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There is a problem with this build, can only print a "dir *.* >prn" from the root directory of C:\ and not from another mounted drive or sub-directory.
Equally dBase 5 is coming up with an "invalid printer port" error when I try to print.
Can anyone help correct this problem?
Thanks, Paul.