Reply 1620 of 52765, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Artex wrote:

More Roland fun! No more stuck notes...

Very nice!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 1621 of 52765, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the tip on the raritan adapter. I managed to find one on amazon, but I paid about twice what you did (about 35 after shipping). Still a good deal in my opinion though. Now I don't have to bother with finding a 486 board with PS/2 ports. Can't wait to try this out on my XT.

*update*-shit. order was cancelled by seller (apparently out of stock). Found another one at a better price though.

Last edited by Anonymous Coward on 2012-11-05, 04:01. Edited 2 times in total.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 1622 of 52765, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Haven't had a chance to play with them yet due to lack of time.

Will also need to build a ribbon cable for the NEC wavetable board.

radeon9700.th.jpg
radeon9700back.th.jpg
audician32plus.th.jpg

My YouTube channel

Reply 1623 of 52765, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Because another computer is just exactly what I needed...

68cuux.jpg

I saw the auction with about 2 minutes left, and it wasn't getting much interest, so just for shits and giggles I threw in a bid without any real expectations of winning it. I didn't get it super cheap, $48 with shipping, but it's a lot less than they usually go for. Aside from a desperate need for a peroxide bath, it looks to be in pretty good shape. Functional condition is unknown, but most of the common issues with these things don't seem to be too hard to solve anyway.

Reply 1624 of 52765, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Haven't had a chance to play with them yet due to lack of time. […]
Show full quote

Haven't had a chance to play with them yet due to lack of time.

Will also need to build a ribbon cable for the NEC wavetable board.

audician32plus.th.jpg

How, good/bad is that Yamaha ISA card? I can get one for 2p but by looking at it I always thought it was poo, tho I never actually used one.

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 1626 of 52765, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vmunix wrote:

How, good/bad is that Yamaha ISA card? I can get one for 2p but by looking at it I always thought it was poo, tho I never actually used one.

I heard good things but haven't tried it yet. Will definitely do a little writeup once I get around to it.

My YouTube channel

Reply 1627 of 52765, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got some more VGA toys today for $12.50

Nvidia Vanta LT
PNY 8500GT 512mb
Trident Blade 3D 9880 AGP
Permedia 2V pci
TNT2 32mb agp "Fastware"

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 1628 of 52765, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use an audician 32 in my 486. When configured correctly you get very clean output, bug-free MIDI port, real OPL3 and excellent SB pro compatibility. The only game it has problems with to my knowledge is duke nukem 2 which doesn't play all sounds correctly.

The only other fault of this card is that it's too short to mount s full size midi daughterboard, but you can use a cable if you are really keen.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 1629 of 52765, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was cleaning out my storage locker and brought home a couple of boxes full of stuff and found some of the following more interesting items:

Leadtek WinFast Geforce 2 GTS AGP
STB Velocity 128 PCI
3com ELII/16TP, 16-bit ISA NIC (only has the RJ45 and AUI connectors, no BNC)

Creative Labs Audigy SB0090 Model with the External I/O Bracket and external controller box/unit

And a couple of SATA 2 IDE Interface Adapters.

I know I was going to use SATA HDD's in older machines but never got around to testing them out.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 1630 of 52765, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:

The only other fault of this card is that it's too short to mount s full size midi daughterboard, but you can use a cable if you are really keen.

That's one of the cool things about the CMI8330/AV-310. The Daughterboard header is near the ISA connector, and "upside down", so the daughterboard can be arbitrarily large. Strangely considerate design for an ISA-era device!

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 1631 of 52765, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

got a nice boxed sound card for the PILE of IBM PS/2 machines I now own:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140877901537

pretty good price if I do say so myself. Ironically, I wasn't even looking for it. The seller had a nice boxed copy of battlechess, and I ALWAYS check the sellers other items. Long story short I got the origional battlechess, this sound card, battlechess 2; chinese chess, battlechess 4000, and MTV remote control. I will pst pics when it arrives. ^.^

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1633 of 52765, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DonutKing wrote:

When configured correctly

Any tips?

My YouTube channel

Reply 1634 of 52765, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Disable amp with jumpers, use SETUPSA to set all levels to 0, disable YMersion, 3D and all that stuff, set output mode to Hi-Fi

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 1636 of 52765, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was NOT expecting to win this auction. But I just couldn't let it go for $30. http://www.ebay.com/itm/150939560682

I mean seriously, how often are you going to find a NEW IN BOX 20mhz 286? Its crazy, because I have NO idea what to do with it. But $46 for a BRAND NEW 20mhz 286, with simms! shipped across the country. Honestly how can you go wrong? Hell, remove the cpu, slap in a 50mhz crystal and you have a 25mhz 286 board of legend.

What really irked me was, the guy had TWO, and put the 2nd up online after I had made the winning bid. meaning the guy that I was hoping to out-bid me, instead went for the cheaper board.

well nuts to him.

If you EVER wanted a 286 for a project, I seriously don't think you will see another deal like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/170939817958

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1637 of 52765, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:
I was NOT expecting to win this auction. But I just couldn't let it go for $30. http://www.ebay.com/itm/150939560682 […]
Show full quote

I was NOT expecting to win this auction. But I just couldn't let it go for $30. http://www.ebay.com/itm/150939560682

I mean seriously, how often are you going to find a NEW IN BOX 20mhz 286? Its crazy, because I have NO idea what to do with it. But $46 for a BRAND NEW 20mhz 286, with simms! shipped across the country. Honestly how can you go wrong? Hell, remove the cpu, slap in a 50mhz crystal and you have a 25mhz 286 board of legend.

What really irked me was, the guy had TWO, and put the 2nd up online after I had made the winning bid. meaning the guy that I was hoping to out-bid me, instead went for the cheaper board.

well nuts to him.

If you EVER wanted a 286 for a project, I seriously don't think you will see another deal like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/170939817958

Ummm... you did notice that the 286 is soldered directly to the motherboard before you bid, right? I passed on that board just for that reason so you'll be unsoldering/resoldering both the clock crystal AND the CPU. As hard as 25mhz Harris chips are to find, I wouldn't risk exposing one to the heat of a soldering iron.

Here's the one I won from artifactsystems. The shipping was a bit hard to stomach on top of the price but how often do you find them?

T2eC16RHJGwE9nyTUg2BQWp-tdnWg60_12.jpg

Reply 1638 of 52765, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're assuming the CPU would need to be replaced. There's a fair chance that the existing chip will run just fine at 25mhz.

Hell, some of the 'real' 25mhz 286 systems used 20mhz chips... such things weren't particularly uncommon amongst the less reputable manufacturers. There were also a fair number of 386SX/20 systems with 16mhz chips, and SX/25 systems with 20mhz chips.

Reply 1639 of 52765, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

You're assuming the CPU would need to be replaced. There's a fair chance that the existing chip will run just fine at 25mhz.

Hell, some of the 'real' 25mhz 286 systems used 20mhz chips... such things weren't particularly uncommon amongst the less reputable manufacturers. There were also a fair number of 386SX/20 systems with 16mhz chips, and SX/25 systems with 20mhz chips.

I seriously doubt that Harris would deliberately under rate their chips given the price premium that they could get just for marking them up to 25mhz if they were capable of running at that speed. They had a hard enough time competing without giving money away.