VOGONS

Common searches

Help with the 7th guest on XP

Topic actions

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

I'm trying to get the 7th guest running for my girlfriend. When I try to run the game it crashes to the desktop and says that the NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction. I have launchpad installed and have tried tweaking a few things like mscdex support but nothing seems to fix the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Platypus

Reply 1 of 35, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Uh, yeah. Seventh Guest and Eleventh Hour will *NOT* run under NT/2K/XP. Believe me. I've tried. Doesn't work. Won't work. Can't work. Uses too many stupid direct hardware interface calls. Hell, I had a hard enough time getting The Eleventh Hour working under 9x, and even then the audio on the video was all clicky and nasty. There was a port of the Groovie engine to DirectX, but I tried it and it, err, didn't work either. Actually seemed to work WORSE, but I'm not going to let you quote me on that.

Anyway, to summarize, it won't run, so stop trying. The end.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 35, by edelbeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm running t7g using WinXP home and an Audigy Soundcard without problems. One catch. I downloaded a patch for running the program from Win95. I'll need to wait until I'm home (late tonight), but I can email it to anyone who needs it. If I can remember or find the URL that I downloaded it from, I'll post it here, but it was a tough patch to find.

Reply 5 of 35, by edelbeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found the URL for the patch. The patched game does not need or use VDMSound, but instead uses directx. Make sure to read the readme file in the patch. Try:

http://begin2end.gitagrrl.com/downloads/patches/7thguest.zip

I've read of a similar patch for the 11th Guest, but I don't own that game, so I haven't hunted the patch down

Last edited by edelbeb on 2002-09-06, 18:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 35, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The 11th Hour Windows patch runs waaaaayyyyyyy too fast. (It depends on CPU timing -- the same as OLD, OLD DOS games! Stupidity!) Does the 7th Guest patch exhibit the same problem?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 7 of 35, by edelbeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've only played a limited amount with the patch, but it seems to fun fine. I haven't noticed any speed issues. However, the cut seens are about the only scenes in T7G where an insanely fast speed might cause a problem. The cut scenes run at the correct speed. As for moving from one point to another, the faster the better as far as I'm concerned. Here too, however, the speed of the patched T7G seems pretty normal.

Reply 11 of 35, by edelbeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't have the 11th Hour, so I haven't tried the Windows interpretor for that game. About the only reason I was interested in the 7th Guest is because, several years ago, I was nearly finished (working on the microscope puzzle) when I heard a horrible grinding noise from the hard drive. I don't generally back up saved games, and I never got around to reworking all the puzzles to that point. I'm glad that if I get a chance, however, I can actually go back and finish the game.

Reply 13 of 35, by Banquo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have both of the games. Here are my experiences running them with Windows 98 and Windows XP.

The 7th Guest - Runs just fine with the DirectX patch.

The 11th Hour - Runs a bit too fast with the patch, especially the title screens. The movies play normally, and I could find no other issues with the game.

http://www.computerhope.org/download/games/t7g/t7gwinnv.zip

ftp.gamesdomain.co.uk/pub/patches/pc/general-patches/nos/11h242.zip

Reply 16 of 35, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks, mate! I'd be most definitely interested to hear what happens.

Also, does anyone know of a program that JUST slows down DirectX, and not the entire system? (I'm not even talking about eating up clock cycles like other slow-down utils do, I'm talking about making some call or something to DX to get it to slow down. But then, I don't know much about the DX API, so I could be way off thinking there would be a way to do this.)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 17 of 35, by Banquo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just tried the puzzle and aside from running too fast it works fine. No crashes anyway.

I also tried running it with VDMSound again but I can't get past the video mode error. These are two of my favorite games so I'll keep working with them and if I make any progress I'll post it here.

Reply 18 of 35, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Snover wrote:

Thanks, mate! I'd be most definitely interested to hear what happens.

Also, does anyone know of a program that JUST slows down DirectX, and not the entire system? (I'm not even talking about eating up clock cycles like other slow-down utils do, I'm talking about making some call or something to DX to get it to slow down. But then, I don't know much about the DX API, so I could be way off thinking there would be a way to do this.)

heh. Turning on AA/Ansio would be the simplest way but for such old games I doubt it would even work. Not even sure if 7th/11th even use D3D...

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline