VOGONS

Reply 180 of 215, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know that the DSPs take resources for other enabled features. f.e. for the Maxisound 64 (Dream SAM9407) there is even a tool, where you can choose the DSPs features as equalizer, surround etc. and it shows you the remaining available channels. So by dropping unused features you can increase polyphony.

The case with the AWE is somewhat different as it would mean that the 2 channels on the early cards are available, but probably just not used by the software. I really doubt that there is any detection if the Emu8K has 30 or 32 available channels.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 183 of 215, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

so.. would a CT2230 actually have the hanging notes bug too?

I've tested my CT2230 with a NEC XR385 in Hexen and other games. I have not noticed any hanging bugs. It sounded like the recordings I could find online.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 184 of 215, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is a tool called wavefix.exe that is on the DSA Sternenschweif CD, The readme states that issues may appear if SB16+Waveblaster is chosen as sound setup and prior running DSA this exe should be called.

Someone know if this is related?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 185 of 215, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:

There is a tool called wavefix.exe that is on the DSA Sternenschweif CD ... Someone know if this is related?

That utility has the same functionality as "sbmpufix.exe" and "sbmpu401.exe," and simply disables the interrupt for the SB16's MPU-401 interface.

Here's something entirely perplexing, given that I've traced the circuits for the MCU and bus-interface chips on both cards, and have found no significant differences:

sbmpu_1.jpg

Are JUST games that use Paul Radek's "DMX" sound system (such as the likes of Doom and Hexen) affected by the spurious MIDI note problem?

Reply 188 of 215, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cloudschatze wrote:

Are JUST games that use Paul Radek's "DMX" sound system (such as the likes of Doom and Hexen) affected by the spurious MIDI note problem?

Good question. I could verify the problem with Doom, Doom II, Heretic, Hexen, Raptor and Hocus Pocus, which all seem to use the DMX sound system. Are we talking about just half a dozen games here?

Reply 190 of 215, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No DMX, it is iMuse.
But TIE Fighter cannot work properly with the AWE64 MPU-401 either, even though they 'fixed' the MPU on that card.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 191 of 215, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The "hanging note bug" occurring in X-Wing/TIE-Fighter is different from the one in the DMX sound system games (see here for a description).

I've encountered hanging notes in other iMuse games as well (e.g in the Sam&Max intro).

Reply 193 of 215, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
5u3 wrote:
Cloudschatze wrote:

Good question. I could verify the problem with Doom, Doom II, Heretic, Hexen, Raptor and Hocus Pocus, which all seem to use the DMX sound system. Are we talking about just half a dozen games here?

No, I verified this bug in Duke3D and Blood as well.

Reply 195 of 215, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Maraakate wrote:
5u3 wrote:
Cloudschatze wrote:

No, I verified this bug in Duke3D and Blood as well.

When did it occur and what did it sound like?

Reply 196 of 215, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First level of Blood it hapepns almost after about 30 seconds. I noticed it takes longer to happen if you use 8bit sampling with 11khz and 4 voice. Go with 16bit, 44khz and 8 voices it happens immediately.

Reply 198 of 215, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've found my old SB16 CT2940 (a good divining rod for finding hanging note bugs 😉). Duke3D and Blood seem to be affected by the "spurious MIDI note problem" indeed. It's most obvious in Blood E1M1 and Duke3D E1M2 (strangely, everything was fine in Duke3D E1M1).
My AWE32 cards with CT1747 bus interface are immune to this.