VOGONS

First post, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I noticed in various threads in this forum there has been mention of use of the MT-32 emulator with ScummVM, which seems like a perfectly logical step to me. What I was wondering, however, was how feasible it would be to add the emulator itself to one of the ScummVM ports (I'm specifically thinking of the GP32 version here, but I know there are others) for those systems which either don't run the Windows driver or don't have an MT-32 in use.

Reply 2 of 5, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

*nod* With the GP32, mind, the latest build had the OGG support added for talkie versions and adlib only option for the music. I wonder whether it wouldn't need about the same level of to have the MT-32 do the music and disable the talking.

Spose I should talk to the bloke who does the port, really.

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 3 of 5, by loki1985

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

improving the drivers code to run on different OSes would do more sense, cause you could simply run the driver and enable "true mt-32" in scummvm...

why is the emu that processor-intensive???
in my theory it just grabs the command, gets the PCM data, adjusts the pitch and routes it to the mapper...
or is that completely wrong?

aVALON eST eXIDII

Reply 5 of 5, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The latest version isn't so processor intensive (no more than the Adlib emulation) and a new version is due out soon that is even further optimized. Harekiet is right though. What you described is a very basic mod-player (wouldn't even qualify as wavetable synthesis because even those have LFOs, vibrato, loops, etc.). On the other hand, the MT-32 emulator isn't just a wavetable patchset either. Such has been the method of emulation since the MT-32 came out, and due to the analogue nature of the MT-32, the emulated patchsets can only come so close to the MT-32 sound. Since a lot of games use custom sounds, any variation used by the program will be unexpressed in the patchset. Anyway, that's where my emulator comes in. It attempts to complete emulate the function of the L/A Synthesis chip. Yes, there is a PCM element to it, but it also emulates all the LFOs, TVF, TVAs, TVP envelopes on the MT-32. It also does the analogue synthesis as well. Unlike patchsets, the emulator can also understand MT-32 sysex, which means that any custom instruments will be emulated as accurately as possible as well. That added functionality is what consumes processor cycles.