Munt Reloaded - Development

Topic actions

Reply 580 of 965, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sergm wrote:

Unfortunately, Ykhwong uses quite old munt sources which contain a number of bugs we've recently fixed.

I am going to integrate newer munt code into my future releases.

I was once considering to import an external mt32emu library as you recommend. However, that doesn't seem to work properly with savestates. I need to fiddle with part of munt source code for the savestates. It may take longer to get them to work simultaneously.

Reply 581 of 965, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's right. We've never implemented a savestate feature. But probably making a full snapshot of the synth's state is not really required. I think saving all the system area, timbre & patch memory and temp areas is a quite good solution. This can be implemented using public API we provide right now. Look at the Synth::readMemory(). This is a rough equivalent of reading the state of a real LA unit.

P.S. Don't worry about the actual implementation. If you think this way is ok with you, I can help.

Reply 582 of 965, by SedrynTyros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I really love ykhwong's DOSBox build but the one problem I have with it is for those games where I want to use the Disney Sound Source for digital sound in conjunction with Munt.

Does anyone know where I could find a functional Win32 build that's just the current DOSBox SVN with the current Munt code patched in? I've looked all over the place but all that's available for Win32 that I've come across are the DOSBox 0.74 builds with Munt that sergm has created. Unfortunately, the Disney Sound Source mixer wasn't fixed until DOSBox SVN r3787.

Reply 583 of 965, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

another hijacker 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 584 of 965, by SedrynTyros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:

another hijacker 😀

Yeah, sorry about that. I've just been looking for this for a while and since somebody already touched on it a few posts back I figured I'd go ahead and pop the question, 🤣.

Reply 585 of 965, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Crap, I didn't know that win32 driver builds were still being released. I was using ykhwong's integrated munt on my laptop, but the driver will be perfect since I already use BASSMIDIDRV for GM software synthesis.

Looks like the source is currently at: https://github.com/munt/munt
And binaries at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/munt/files/munt/

Reply 586 of 965, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SedrynTyros wrote:

I really love ykhwong's DOSBox build but the one problem I have with it is for those games where I want to use the Disney Sound Source for digital sound in conjunction with Munt.

what is the problem?

SedrynTyros wrote:

since somebody already touched on it a few posts back I figured I'd go ahead and pop the question, 🤣.

where exactly?

Reply 587 of 965, by SedrynTyros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
robertmo wrote:

what is the problem?

ykhwong's DOSBox build does not allow the use of both Disney Sound Source and MIDI devices at the same time. You can only use one or the other. He's aware of this and has included it in the documentation for his builds.

robertmo wrote:

where exactly?

marooned_on_mars mentioned having a DOSBox SVN build that includes Munt. I don't know enough about compiling builds and what not to make one myself so I was wondering if anyone else does maintain a DOSBox SVN build with the latest Munt code so that I could use it for a few games where the best sound option is to have Disney Sound Source for digital with MT-32 for music. It's much more convenient for my situation to have it integrated into DOSBox rather than use the Munt driver.

Reply 588 of 965, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

What is your current situation that you'd rather not use the driver? It wiuld instantky solve your problem: install the driver and use Dosbox 0.74 or any straight SVN built. Done 😉

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 589 of 965, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SedrynTyros wrote:

ykhwong's DOSBox build does not allow the use of both Disney Sound Source and MIDI devices at the same time. You can only use one or the other.

...so I was wondering if anyone else does maintain a DOSBox SVN build with the latest Munt code so that I could use it for a few games where the best sound option is to have Disney Sound Source for digital with MT-32 for music. It's much more convenient for my situation to have it integrated into DOSBox rather than use the Munt driver.

Wouldn't the same problem manifest itself whether MUNT is integrated or not? MUNT is emulating a MIDI device and will use the MIDI interface.

Which games are best for Disney Sound Source and MT-32? The only games I know of that support the Sound Source and not the Sound Blaster are some early Disney games (Arachnophobia, Dick Tracy), and they do not support the MT-32.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 590 of 965, by SedrynTyros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's not really about which games don't support Sound Blaster but do support Disney Sound Source; it's about the game sounding "better" using the Disney Sound Source in DOSBox. King's Quest V is the most notable example I can think of. The digital voice has a lot of noise in the Sound Blaster emulation, which I find annoying; I prefer using the Disney Sound Source with King's Quest V.

Installing the driver would be fine for me but not so much for all my friends that I share my retro projects with. With a DOSBox build, I could add it into D-Fend Reloaded as a launch option for the small number of games that would need to use the build. Using Munt as a Windows driver would involve me having to train my pals to remember to switch back and forth between GM and MT-32 MIDI devices. It'd be much easier to have the DOSBox build, but it's looking like nobody here has what I'm looking for. Not really a big deal anyway since they're not many games I'd use it for. Thanks for the replies.

Reply 591 of 965, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Using Munt as a Windows driver would involve me having to train my pals to remember to switch back and forth between GM and MT-32 MIDI devices.

You can solve this quite easily by not making the munt driver default in Windows but in the Dosbox config in the mididconfig setting (http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Dosbox.conf#.5Bmidi.5D). If your pals use Dosbox as well, make your own config and start Dosbox with that.

Reply 592 of 965, by SedrynTyros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Using Munt as a Windows driver would involve me having to train my pals to remember to switch back and forth between GM and MT-32 MIDI devices.

You can solve this quite easily by not making the munt driver default in Windows but in the Dosbox config in the mididconfig setting (http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Dosbox.conf#.5Bmidi.5D). If your pals use Dosbox as well, make your own config and start Dosbox with that.

Hmmmm ... you know, I hadn't thought of going that route. Thanks for the suggestion. I think this would probably work. 😀

Reply 593 of 965, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think this would probably work.

This will definitely work 😀

Reply 595 of 965, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

i wonder what is going on here:
I noticed that both:
Cakewalk Pro Audio v9.03
and
Cakewalk Sonar X2
have the same problem with mt-32 and munt:
if i force both cakewalks to send whole sysex everything is ok.
but if i don't do it and just play enclosed midi first time (sysex is in the midi) so everything should be ok, but it is not: track 1 and track 3 instruments don't initialize at the beginning. But when i play the song second time they initialize properly.
So the first question is why the second time is ok, while first time is not
and the second question is why both mt-32 and munt behave same way.
One more thing - if i play the file with tempo 20 everything is ok too.

Attachments

• Filename
    TFX.zip
    File size
    10.34 KiB
    Downloads
    50 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 598 of 965, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

fix for sonar x2:
edit > preferences > advanced > midi > playback & recording > midi files > uncheck 'always use sysx banks for midi files (instead of sysx data)'

fix for Pro Audio v9.03
options > global > general > uncheck 'always use sysx banks for midi files (instead of sysx data)'

btw there are still silence gaps in the midi file in Pro Audio v9.03

above fixes only help munt.
real mt-32 and cm-32l modules still have the problem

Reply 599 of 965, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ok so mystery solved:

Ttsseq.ini
[Options]
SysxDelayAfterF7=0

makes munt play correctly, so it looks sonar and pro audio are using delay for transferring sysex when playing midi but the song is not being stopped cause of that - hence the problem.

For real modules you have to use following (and send all sysx manually before starting the song)
Ttsseq.ini
[Options]
SysxDelayAfterF7=1
SysxSendDelayMsecs=80

I wonder if nothing bad happens to the music if the sysx is being send the second time during the song is being played.