VOGONS

First post, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recently asked for testers in a previous thread and thanks to VirtuaIceMan, keropi and filipetolhuizen the patch is now ready for release.

This patch requires the original version of Sega Rally Championship. It also includes a DirectX slowdown utility for use on modern computers to avoid some FPS speedup issues (present in all versions).

Download Direct3D patch (13.6MB):
http://www.mediafire.com/?cnwcyi91l05doi8

While testing the patch, VirtuaIceMan made some other improvements that is released as a mod that is compatible for both the Direct3D and non-Direct3D version. It includes:

Fixes:
- Engine .wav files has been reworked to fix some clipping issues

Improvements:
- Loadingscreens have been made more smoother and better looking.
- 2D backdrops (used in non-direct3d version, but can be enabled with .ini settings) have been improved.
- Direct3D version Gameover.wav was of low quality compared to original which was CD audio. The new file is a rip of the CD audio track.

Download Mod (2MB):
http://www.mediafire.com/?e2o6bxttfeppllt

I've included both the readme's for those who want to check out more details before downloading on both patch and mod as attachments in this thread.

If anyone have any suggestion on where else to post these files, please reply. Do for instance The Patches Scrolls accept homemade patches?

Attachments

Last edited by vetz on 2015-06-03, 05:22. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 1 of 18, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I should add that the improved backdrops are for the original non-D3D version of the game 😉

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 6 of 18, by alf717

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hope no one minds a bump of this but I got a copy of the game and was wondering how to get the CD audio to work. I have the retail disc and made a .BIN/.CUE mounted with Virtual CloneDrive and cannot get the soundtrack to work. Any idea on what to do? Physical drive is E: and .BIN/.CUE is D: drive.

Reply 8 of 18, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alf717 wrote:

Hope no one minds a bump of this but I got a copy of the game and was wondering how to get the CD audio to work. I have the retail disc and made a .BIN/.CUE mounted with Virtual CloneDrive and cannot get the soundtrack to work. Any idea on what to do? Physical drive is E: and .BIN/.CUE is D: drive.

Do you mean Sega Rally Championship or Sega Rally 2? Sega Rally 2 doesn't play music on newer PCs, not sure about the original as not tried it yet!

There is a fix for Sega Rally 2 though here: http://www.supermodel3.com/Forum/viewtopic.ph … &start=10#p3918

Reply 9 of 18, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As far as I remember I got music if the CD was in the drive, but with an image file I've had no luck with other games with this kind of music system in Windows 7.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 10 of 18, by alf717

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yea sorry for not being clear. It is Sega Rally Championship 1. I tried the CD on my first drive which didn't work and figure I try creating an ISO with IMG Burn to see if that would help. I am also using Windows 7 x64 so I guess it isn't going to happen. I even tried ripping the audio tracks in .WAV format and putting them in the wav folder but that didn't work either.

Reply 11 of 18, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll try bringing the game in to try on my work PC (64bit Win7) as I'm on 32bit WinXP at home.

The original version of the patch that was used in Sega Rally 2 is here: http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-Domino/8282/ but that's more for XP or earlier... which I find plays the Sega Rally music fine

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 12 of 18, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just tried the original Sega retail CD in my work PC (64bit Win7) and the music plays fine. On this PC the game installed into C:\SEGA\SRALLY, whilst the CD is in drive D:

On my home PC the game is installed on WinXP 32bit in C:\games\srally (I think) with the CD in drive E:

I'm not sure why you won't get music - check the CD light during gameplay, is it lit up to show the CD is spinning/playing music? Check your windows volume controls to make sure CD audio and other necessary things are loud enough, and nothing necessary is muted. I wonder if the CD audio streams using the internal analogue cable instead of digital? I wonder if there's any options to choose to play music analogue or digital in your drive/PC settings somewhere?

I guess you could try installing older DirectX too perhaps (risky but maybe it has some element that's missing on newer Windows)?

Do you get CD music in all games with music on the CD-ROM?

Reply 13 of 18, by stranno

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Any fix for Windows 10?

I have installed the original game (with 2.1 and without it), then i used the D3D patch, then the mod, then _inmm and then dgVoodoo.

Everytime it loads something it gives a Could not read error, with or without the CDrom. Loading times are way longer than without the patch and there's a weird loading bar below, not present in the vanilla-software game. And finally it just crash randomly. It always crash when you touch the water but it usually crash somewhere else.

Could be the image but i think it is perfectly fine. I have tried some compatibility modes and dgVoodoo options without any luck.

Reply 14 of 18, by Santiii727

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
stranno wrote on 2017-08-07, 14:30:
Any fix for Windows 10? […]
Show full quote

Any fix for Windows 10?

I have installed the original game (with 2.1 and without it), then i used the D3D patch, then the mod, then _inmm and then dgVoodoo.

Everytime it loads something it gives a Could not read error, with or without the CDrom. Loading times are way longer than without the patch and there's a weird loading bar below, not present in the vanilla-software game. And finally it just crash randomly. It always crash when you touch the water but it usually crash somewhere else.

Could be the image but i think it is perfectly fine. I have tried some compatibility modes and dgVoodoo options without any luck.

This one works for Windows 10 ^^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs3YtzrFHZU

Reply 15 of 18, by soggi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My first post here - took some years to register on vogons... Found this thread by accident.

vetz wrote on 2012-05-16, 14:38:

If anyone have any suggestion on where else to post these files, please reply. Do for instance The Patches Scrolls accept homemade patches?

I can upload the patches to my website soggi.org (to game patches).

kind regards
soggi

Vintage BIOSes, firmware, drivers, tools, manuals and (3dfx) game patches -> soggi's BIOS & Firmware Page

soggi.org on Twitter - talent borrows, genius steals...

Reply 16 of 18, by 9646gt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just got this up and running on my Windows 98 machine with both patches. Couple questions...first, how do you exit the game from the main title screen? With non D3D version clicking the mouse would bring up the menu bar of the game "window". Also, my Miscrosoft gamepad works in the non D3D version but I can't find a place to enable it at all on the patched version. I should mention I also installed the official 2.1 patch before the mods as well.

Reply 18 of 18, by Mog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
stranno wrote on 2017-08-07, 14:30:
Any fix for Windows 10? […]
Show full quote

Any fix for Windows 10?

It's a disc image of some sort. I installed from an image and got the same issue. Then I installed over that from my UK CD and it works fine. Went back to the image after that and the CD Audio works fine (on 98). The image I used was 40mb and my disc was around 68mb.