VOGONS

First post, by Scylla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I've just grabbed an AWE64 Gold. I'm not going to use it for the moment, I'll be using the card recommended in this post instead:
Perfect ISA soundcard, in theory

However, searching for pictures of AWE64 Gold cards in order to learn its model numbers I stumbled upon this pic:
Sound-Blaster-AWE64-gold.jpg

Forcing my eyes out of my sockets I finally discerned that the model number was CT1950, which immediately pointed to this:
ct1950-24m.jpg

Now, I'm a complete stranger to all those Wave Blaster and daughterboard stuff, but would like to stop being one. Was that for?

Last edited by Scylla on 2013-03-24, 23:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pretty sure that's just RAM. 24MB of it! So with your AWE64 Gold you'll be getting 28MB. That's for using soundfonts. Creative thought it was a genious move to remove the 30pin FPM SIMM slot from the AWE32 and instead force propriatery RAM modules down customers' throats.

Reply 2 of 5, by Scylla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh, yes, I just found about it. I think I'm going to buy an adapter of the SIMMConn guy if he still has got them.

So, no daughterboards for AWE64 then? I can lay my hands on a NEC XR385 (Yamaha DB60XG clone) for cheap, but has it got any practical use for video games?

Reply 3 of 5, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The XR385 is very handy in video games and sounds really good in Duke Nukem 3D, Doom and Final Fantasy VII. You can't connect the XR385 to the AWE64. You need to get an external device then, like the Roland SC-55.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 4 of 5, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Scylla wrote:

I can lay my hands on a NEC XR385 (Yamaha DB60XG clone) for cheap, but has it got any practical use for video games?

OH YES

Depending on the game the XR385 sounds great. Even amazing sometimes 😁

Reply 5 of 5, by Scylla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ooooh what an unanimous answer.

I'm going to fit the XR385 on the amazing S23 card I discovered thanks to the forum. If I can buy another one, I'll use that on the Diamond Monster Sound MX300.