VOGONS

Reply 41 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've updated the PowerVR supported list and made "the first part" ready. Exclusive games have been highlighted in green.

leileilol wrote:

I'd love to see that.

Yeah me too. If anyone have any information or would be willing to part with the following titles that would be appreciated (I have control over the rest). Screenshots, videos, available resolutions, etc etc:

- All Matrox Impression games on the list
- All Paradise Tasmania 3D games on the list (I know NitroXInfinity is working on this)
- Actua Soccer for PowerVR
- Flight Unlimited for PowerVR
- Nirgenshultz for PowerVR
- PureVex for PowerVR (demo was available on the web, but I can't find it any longer)
- Moon Racer full version for PowerVR

Last edited by vetz on 2013-04-07, 00:07. Edited 1 time in total.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 42 of 661, by kanyero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi again!

Sorry i could not find any other patches in my cds.

I was wondering if it's possible to use the screamer s3 virge aceleration patch using dosbox or something like that on modern computers.

Thanks!

Reply 43 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kanyero wrote:

Sorry i could not find any other patches in my cds.

I was wondering if it's possible to use the screamer s3 virge aceleration patch using dosbox or something like that on modern computers.

No worries with the patches 😀

I'm sorry to report that no S3D emulation/wrapper software has so far been created. At the current moment the only way to play S3 Virge (S3D) games is to use an authentic S3 Virge card.

Reply 45 of 661, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@vetz; those PowerVR games; Re: PowerVR Fun Thread

zrciel seems to have played the PureVex demo, but his last post was in 2011. There's also a youtube video of it.

And yes, I am in the process of getting my hands of a bunch of BRender and RenderWare games. Have 11 on the shelf, 1 underway and need to buy 3 more. Should have them all before the end of the month. I'll keep on the lookout for IceHawk too. Still need to get a Matrox Impression and a VGA splitter, but testing is coming closer 😀

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 46 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NitroX infinity wrote:

@vetz; those PowerVR games; Re: PowerVR Fun Thread

zrciel seems to have played the PureVex demo, but his last post was in 2011. There's also a youtube video of it.

And yes, I am in the process of getting my hands of a bunch of BRender and RenderWare games. Have 11 on the shelf, 1 underway and need to buy 3 more. Should have them all before the end of the month. I'll keep on the lookout for IceHawk too. Still need to get a Matrox Impression and a VGA splitter, but testing is coming closer 😀

Nice 😀

I've PM'ed him a long time ago. Never got a reply. I know there is a Youtube video of it, but it is in crap quality. I've also actually PM'ed the guy who made the Youtube video, but his English skills are severly lacking. From what he replied he said he had "lost?" the disc. I have no clue what he meant. Anyway, I've already included the link to it in the list.

So, the only 3d accelerator card emulated is the 3dfx vodoo 1 atm ?

In short yes. In a long answer the card itself is not emulated in the popular wrappers like nGlide, but I think it is in some DOSBox builds.

Reply 47 of 661, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pyrogx wrote:

Nice work, thanks a lot!
Do you know anything about games using the MeTaL api (S3 Savage family)? The only game using it I know about is Unreal.

Vetz, any on this? You seemed to have missed this post (or at least ignored it).

Reply 48 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NitroX infinity wrote:
pyrogx wrote:

Nice work, thanks a lot!
Do you know anything about games using the MeTaL api (S3 Savage family)? The only game using it I know about is Unreal.

Vetz, any on this? You seemed to have missed this post (or at least ignored it).

I've missed it somehow. The problem about S3 MeTaL is the question if it should be included as it's own API? I thought it was more "extensions" for texture compression (that also later were included in DirectX), just like TressFX, PhysX and those kind of proprietary technologies. If people disagree with this I can add the Unreal engine games. There aren't any others 😀

Reply 49 of 661, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In UT you could select MeTaL as the renderer, I doubt you can do that with TressFX and PhysX.
But if it was just an API for texture compression, then you're right.

Reply 50 of 661, by pyrogx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think that this texture compression thing was S3TC and part of the MeTaL API. But I have no information at all about it, although since the Savage drivers come with a special DLL (metal.dll) for it, it might be a complete API and not just an extension.

Completely different question: Would it be possible to run CGL accelerated games that support the 3D Blaster PCI on a Verite V2200?

Reply 51 of 661, by kanyero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also had a savage 3d, and the card was more or less nice, but the drivers were the worst drivers in the world. I could not play anything that used opengl because the computer frozen. 🙁

Reply 52 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pyrogx wrote:

I think that this texture compression thing was S3TC and part of the MeTaL API. But I have no information at all about it, although since the Savage drivers come with a special DLL (metal.dll) for it, it might be a complete API and not just an extension.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S3TC

S3TC was later incorporated both in DirectX and in OpenGL, but when Unreal Tournament was released none of the current APIs supported the S3TC technology. This in my eyes the sole reason of having Metal API. Was Metal API just S3's own modification of an exisiting API to allow S3TC in the game, or was there more to it? I'm a bit confused here and I think I need to dig deeper. Unless someone here can give a definitive answer?

pyrogx wrote:

Completely different question: Would it be possible to run CGL accelerated games that support the 3D Blaster PCI on a Verite V2200?

Unfortunately no. You need a proper Creative 3D Blaster PCI CT6240 or CT6260 (CT6260 is about 1-2 FPS quicker in CGL games compared to CT6240).

Reply 53 of 661, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

have you thought about contacting S3 Graphics?

Reply 55 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Scylla wrote:

vetz, is there any way to test it? Using an S3 Savage card with the MeTaL API and comparing it to the original UT with another card?

It does look and run bit different with the improved S3TC textures.

More info in this thread: S3 Savage 2000
Video by Swaaye: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgZEPPuG4Rc

Reply 57 of 661, by m1so

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote:
Good news! Can confirm that the patch works with Screamer. I tested it with a S3 Virge GX2. Framerate isn't fully smooth in 640x […]
Show full quote

Good news! Can confirm that the patch works with Screamer. I tested it with a S3 Virge GX2. Framerate isn't fully smooth in 640x480 with everything turned on, but it has bilinear filtering. There are some graphical glitches, but that could be because I'm running it with the GX2, and not the 325/DX. I've moved the game to the supported list in the S3 Virge section 😁

Made an unlisted video for it: http://youtu.be/x7yqJYB3dxs
Not making it public since I'll do a proper video for my channel later. This is only for you who reads this thread 😉

I also made the Actua Soccer VLB & PCI CGL patch available.

Can the Screamer be run at less than 640x480 on the Virge for better framerate?

Reply 58 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
m1so wrote:

Can the Screamer be run at less than 640x480 on the Virge for better framerate?

Yes, but I don't remember from the top of my head which resolutions that is available.

Reply 59 of 661, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just noticed;

ATI 3D Rage (ATI CIF): [...] Actua Soccer: Semifinals edition - Bundled with the ATI 3D XPRESSION in Europe. [...] VR Soccer: Se […]
Show full quote

ATI 3D Rage (ATI CIF):
[...]
Actua Soccer: Semifinals edition - Bundled with the ATI 3D XPRESSION in Europe.
[...]
VR Soccer: Semifinals edition - OEM bundled release with IBM computers.
[...]

Those are the same; http://www.mobygames.com/game/vr-soccer-96