VOGONS

Solo (1989)

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Operasoft put out a game in 1989 called Solo. it is a shooting gallery type game, and according to mobygames it was designed for use with something called the "gunstick".

When starting the game (in 0.74) it responds to the title screen when i hit a button, however the next screen (in spanish) asks whether I want one or 2 players.

It appears as though the user is supposed to shoot the target next to either selection in order to make the selection. I have tried every key on the keyboard I can think of, as well as mapping buttons to a joystick.

So I did some searching and found this patchthat offers gunsticks support for this and one other game. unfortunately I don't have the means to compile a dosbox build, and attempts in the past to do it have failed for me.

Is there a build out there that already has this included? Are there any alternative ways to access the controls for this game? If not, is there a step-by-step compile guide for dosbox?

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 8, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The attached program will let you use the mouse in place of a gunstick on official DOSBox builds. Put the program in the game folder and start the game with "SOLO". There's no support for a second gunstick, so I don't recommend trying to start a two-player game because the other player will be helpless. Maybe I'll enhance it at some point to use a joystick for the second gunstick. ;)

Attachments

• Filename
    SOLO.ZIP
    File size
    478 Bytes
    Downloads
    153 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 8, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks, that clears everything up. The Gun-Stick light gun works in non-PC compatibles like the Amstrad CPC, MSX and Commodore 64, but for PC compatibles it only works in an Amstrad PC-1512/1640's joystick ports. These other PC games may support the Gun-Stick :

The A-Team, Trigger. I don't know if Guillermo Tell and Space Smugglers were released for the PC< there is no entry in Mobygames for them.

Since the Amstrad only had one DE-9 port, a special joystick splitter was required to use two Gun-Sticks on the computer.

Loricel also released a Light Gun perhiperal called the West Phaser. It works almost identically to the Gun-Stick. Crazy Shot was released for DOS, perhaps it has support for the device.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 6 of 8, by tromel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

The attached program will let you use the mouse in place of a gunstick on official DOSBox builds.

Thanks a lot for that! Finally, I was able to play it!

There were two other Opera Soft games that required the Gunstick as well, do you know if this program could be converted to run them?

They are "Trigger" and "Guillermo Tell", or do you know if there could be a patch for any Gunstick game?

Reply 8 of 8, by Uka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Great Hierophant wrote:

Thanks, that clears everything up. The Gun-Stick light gun works in non-PC compatibles like the Amstrad CPC, MSX and Commodore 64, but for PC compatibles it only works in an Amstrad PC-1512/1640's joystick ports.

No, that is not the case.
I have that Gun in my collection! In difference from Amstrad CPC, MSX and Spectrum, the PC version of the Gun-Stick goes into printer port.

Great Hierophant wrote:

These other PC games may support the Gun-Stick :

The A-Team, Trigger. I don't know if Guillermo Tell and Space Smugglers were released for the PC< there is no entry in Mobygames for them.

As far as I know, there are six PC games for Gun-Stick: Solo, Trigger, Guillermo Tell, Target Plus, Mike Gunner and Cosmic Sheriff.

Great Hierophant wrote:

Loricel also released a Light Gun perhiperal called the West Phaser. It works almost identically to the Gun-Stick. Crazy Shot was released for DOS, perhaps it has support for the device.

Yes, it is a different model with only two games: namely 'Westphaser' and 'Crazy Shot'.
And in difference from Gun-Stick, that West Phaser is said to NOT work with VGA videocards...

Neville wrote:

I'd be delighted if ripsaw8080 (or anybody else, for that matter) could adapt his patch to the remaining Gunstick games. I've tried to do it myself, editing the file and changing the filenames, but obviously the job requires more knowledge than that.

An expert named reg2s has made a special version of DOSbox that uses mouse instead of the Gun-Stick.

Edit: Warez site link removed. Do NOT post links to software that is not free to distribute.