VOGONS

Floppy Disk not recognise

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 25, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mau1wurf1977, hope you did not buy any really new (2000+) FDDs? They're so cheap for a reason: lack of the mechanics that allowed smooth head movement. Thus they quickly destroy any diskette.

To avoid that you need an old drive, like 1990+/-. Chinon FZ-357 is notorious for its quality, but Teac, Epson and Mitsubishi have good reputation either. I got myself an EPSON SD-800 combo for $20 at a local junk-shop.

Reply 23 of 25, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have to agree. I bought some brand new Panasonic and Sony drives recently. All the new ones failed within weeks. The only working floppy drives I have are ripped from old computers.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 24 of 25, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just for understanding:

Why do you use a controller card?

Is it an ISA card or a PCI one? I wouldn't use ISA controllers in a PCI based motherboard. The onboard controller should be faster.

I'm happy for you that it works now 😀

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 25 of 25, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FGB wrote:
Just for understanding: […]
Show full quote

Just for understanding:

Why do you use a controller card?

Is it an ISA card or a PCI one? I wouldn't use ISA controllers in a PCI based motherboard. The onboard controller should be faster.

I'm happy for you that it works now 😀

Ok, you guys are going to kill me! I didn't know I had a floppy header where I could plug the floppy drive in! 😊
I just realised!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel so embarrassed!!!
Got the board and directly pluged the controller card as I need it in order to get the serial Mouse going. Didn't see the floppy drive header!