VOGONS

Reply 20 of 48, by m1so

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The game that is worst in Direct3D was Unreal. Totally different textures from Glide, no multitexturing. Before DirectD 6, Direct 3D was basically meant for the "piece of shit" graphics cards while the cool guys used Glide or OpenGL.

Reply 21 of 48, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The original D3D and OpenGL renderers are a joke indeed. OGL has lots of glitches especially in UT (Redeemer anyone?). UE1 was really tailored for Glide, so it's kind of understandable. But Turok 2? I knew it was a Glide game, but wouldn't have thought that it sucks so bad in Direct3D as well 😀

Reply 23 of 48, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It just wasn't optimized. DC version looks a lot better (yes I know, later PVR chip blah blah 😜)

Also while it does look shitty, it does so at least in a coherent way with no major glitches. You could say it introduces it's own style of shittyness to the game 😀

Reply 24 of 48, by m1so

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If anyone wants a good laugh, watch some youtube videos of a allegedly "Direct 3D complaint" video card Cirrus Logic Laguna3D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4lRJDUId0s http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4lRJDUId0s http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wMkDHuT4WQ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B0D-vQyrOA .

The computer I got in 2000 for Christmas as a kid had a nice Nvidia TNT2 32 MB card. I had great joy when I recieved it. It had NFS3 preinstalled among other games, it run perfectly. If I got a PC with Laguna3D instead I would probably literally start crying upon starting the first 3D game . 😁

The PCX2 video does look bad, but honestly quite OK for a non-3dfx 1996 chip. Nothing really bad compared to Laguna3D, Trident 3D wannabe cards etc.

Reply 25 of 48, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Early direct3d was great because you didn't have to setup each game for your soundcard. OpenGL only did video and not audio I think (made a difference when 3d audio came out).

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 26 of 48, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unknown_K wrote:

Early direct3d was great because you didn't have to setup each game for your soundcard. OpenGL only did video and not audio I think (made a difference when 3d audio came out).

Direct3D is just a component of DirectX and does not have to do anything with sound. OpenGL games used other components of DirectX for certain things, just not Direct3D for 3D acceleration. Besides, you always have to "set up" something in order for 3D audio to work properly...

Reply 28 of 48, by m1so

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Like others said before me, Direct 3D is only for 3D acceleration.
Even Windows Glide games used DirectX for other things and most Windows software renderers used DirectDraw. I never saw any OpenGL game requiring sound setup, that ia a DOS thing. That is why OpenGL and Glide games require DirectX - they use it for everything, but not sound.

Reply 29 of 48, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

Someone should do videos of the Matrox Productiva G100. Laguna3D's got nothing on that!

Inb4 people who are going to tell that this shit had awesome 3D compared to the puny PSX 😉

m1so wrote:

Like others said before me, Direct 3D is only for 3D acceleration.
Even Windows Glide games used DirectX for other things and most Windows software renderers used DirectDraw. I never saw any OpenGL game requiring sound setup, that ia a DOS thing. That is why OpenGL and Glide games require DirectX - they use it for everything, but not sound.

What? Quake II, Unreal etc. all use DirectSound. Also some games that use DX features it do not "require" it, as there are fallback options in Windows 95.

Reply 30 of 48, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

Someone should do videos of the Matrox Productiva G100. Laguna3D's got nothing on that!

On topic with the UnrealEngine1 having shit direct3d...
nerf.png

You know it's sad when it can't even handle alphatest 😁

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 36 of 48, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.anandtech.com/show/291/19

>60 FPS on 1024x768? My PC is twice as fast as what they tested this with and I need to play it at 640x480 to be really smooth like that. Going to do some DX busting when I get the chance...

Reply 37 of 48, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They're using a specific timedemo, RevShogo, from the same guy that did the Half-Life Blowout Timedemo. Try running it with that one and see what you get. I can provide it if you can't find it, I think I still have it.

What system are you running d1stortion?

Reply 38 of 48, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PIII 900, Asus CUBX-E, 512 MB SDRAM, V5 5500 AGP, Terratec EWS64 XL, Intel Pro 1000 GT, 16 GB CF card, 98 SE

yeah I wouldn't mind trying that demo, won't have access to my PC for some time though. Also need to get the full version of Shogo anyway I guess.

Reply 39 of 48, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice machine!
Oh yeah, RevShogo needs the full version. Good luck finding a legit full copy though, your best bet is GOG for a cheap one. I lucked out a year ago and got me a boxed copy for 2 pounds. The Terratec could be the culprit on bad framerates though. ISA cards tend to slow the whole system down, adding a SB Live! or Vortex 2 as your primary card isn't such a bad idea, it will certainly help out.