VOGONS

Voodoo 5 5500

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 129, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, I don't think I would have the guts to mod a valuable rarity like that.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 83 of 129, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

This guy has 11 of them, so what does he care? 😳

Interesting. Do we know how he ended up with that many? Some lore attached to it, or luck, or just a rich stock broker/lawyer type?

Reply 84 of 129, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't know the story of how he got so many. He may have bought them early on before the general public knew anything about them, in which case they would have just been junk and not worth much so he wouldn't have had to have been rich to get them.

Reply 85 of 129, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

A bit exaggerated , even for 200 mhz. Each chip probably doesn't dissipate more than 15 watts at stock settings

That is right but further you push them the lower the thermal ceiling becomes but what he could have done was use thermalcouples with the water block that he built for this card. Personally I think that V56k's pcb doesn't provide enough power to really max out the clocks. On a V5 5500 if treated right one can do suicide runs on regular air cooling as high as 225mhz. Before I lost mine in a house fire I had mine running at 216mhz on short runs without artifacts and did go into the 220s but would black screen after a few minutes of game play. The power vrm and the gpu it's self is the weak link while the vram can cope with higher clocks.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 86 of 129, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

Don't know the story of how he got so many. He may have bought them early on before the general public knew anything about them, in which case they would have just been junk and not worth much so he wouldn't have had to have been rich to get them.

Nope, he got them all in a last couple of years; one by one, from collectors that decided on dropping their collections. He was around on falconfly.de from his first v5 6k. As to why? Who knows. 😒

The only thing that i dont like about mods like these (thats not the only mod he made) is that they are useless. The card cannot support the weight of them and you can only test the card in a special environment, not in a case. E.g. you build a ferrari and you cant drive it. Lame. 😒

Reply 87 of 129, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elfuego wrote:

The only thing that i dont like about mods like these (thats not the only mod he made) is that they are useless. The card cannot support the weight of them and you can only test the card in a special environment, not in a case. E.g. you build a ferrari and you cant drive it. Lame. 😒

what's the problem with placing poles under the card?

Reply 88 of 129, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just discovered this Voodoo 5 video on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqzC1tjRnQI

Look at some of the ignorant comments by szederp and CPX7700. szederp's comments are particularly interesting. He doesn't even seem to know that P-III, Athlon era machines could still be considered DOS machines. He thinks if you can't run Wing Commander on it then it isn't a DOS gaming rig. Doh!

Reply 90 of 129, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is that how you pronounce AWE? I always spell the letters. What do you guys do?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 95 of 129, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nforce4max wrote:
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

A bit exaggerated , even for 200 mhz. Each chip probably doesn't dissipate more than 15 watts at stock settings

That is right but further you push them the lower the thermal ceiling becomes but what he could have done was use thermalcouples with the water block that he built for this card. Personally I think that V56k's pcb doesn't provide enough power to really max out the clocks. On a V5 5500 if treated right one can do suicide runs on regular air cooling as high as 225mhz. Before I lost mine in a house fire I had mine running at 216mhz on short runs without artifacts and did go into the 220s but would black screen after a few minutes of game play. The power vrm and the gpu it's self is the weak link while the vram can cope with higher clocks.

Did you overclock your card with v.control?

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 97 of 129, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have always pronounced it as the word AWE, but AWE is an acronym for "Advanced Wave Effects", so I think that A-W-E is a fair way to say it. Does anyone try to say CGA, EGA, VGA, IDE, VLB, PCI, USB or AGP as a word and not the letters? Some people do that for ISA (ice-a), but that is incorrect. On the other hand, who says S-C-S-I instead of scuzzy?

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog