VOGONS

First post, by P-J

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there.

Just plugging Boxer, a new frontend for DOSBox. It's not particularly feature packed, but designed to be simple and 'do the job'.

Interested parties can grab it here :

http://www.pcgamester.co.uk

Dosser...

Reply 1 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Will there be a boxing fight, or friendly feature competition?

New frondend

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 12, by [JJ]

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not wishing to troll but nonetheless putting forward my opinion 😀 I have no need for Boxer at the moment because I launch my games via seperate Windows shortcuts and Boxer doesn't benefit my way of doing things.... BUT (request feature) how about expanding Boxer to do what MAME32 does? Launch the games/apps from Boxer with MAME32 style options! It'd fly believe me...

[JJ]
Beverage Master 1st Dan

Reply 6 of 12, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
[JJ] wrote:

how about expanding Boxer to do what MAME32 does? Launch the games/apps from Boxer with MAME32 style options! It'd fly believe me...

Could you clarify what you mean for me, please?

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 7 of 12, by [JJ]

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Rather than try to explain the in-outs of the MAME frontend I'll point you to this page which is pretty self explanatory. If you can imagine you can set game options for every game in the list you can imagine Boxer would need to be overhauled a little!

[JJ]
Beverage Master 1st Dan

Reply 8 of 12, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
[JJ] wrote:

Rather than try to explain the in-outs of the MAME frontend I'll point you to this page which is pretty self explanatory. If you can imagine you can set game options for every game in the list you can imagine Boxer would need to be overhauled a little!

I think I know what MAME32 does, I am on the MAMEDEV mailing list, you know...

But I wasn't sure what you meant. Implement options that are in MAME, like lightgun input and the ability to use Direct3D blitting effects? Those options can't be added until they're added in DOSBox, which won't be any time soon if at all. OR the ability to keep separate configs for each game and launch games in a menu that provides info such as screenshots, game history, etc.?

I think you mean the latter, right?

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 9 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

@P-J, I justed tested Boxer 0.61.4 with Win95B as the guest OS on Bochs 2.1 with WinXP as the host OS 🤣

Worked fine, so I guess you can put that (or just the Win95 part) in your compatibility list!
--
MiniMax

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 10 of 12, by [JJ]

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Stiletto, you hit the nail right on the head 😀 I think having box scans and screenshots like MAME32 would be a little anal but some people might like it. For me a game/app launcher with seperate config's for each game would suffice...

[JJ]
Beverage Master 1st Dan

Reply 12 of 12, by Guest

User metadata

Yes I have become one of the masses that now more or less requires a GUI. Anyway I was searching for other programs that could run dos game, specifically Strike Commander by Origin (not listed yet in the games section) Anyway if you have not seen the interface for “Abandon Loader” then I think that you should take a look I think they have the GUI near perfect. It allows you to configure all aspects of the program. About the only thing I would like to see is the ability to download other peoples config’s form some centralized location. The idea being that most people will use the same configuration for their own systems.