VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was pretty geared up over the PS4 but decided to hold off because new console launches are usually disastrous for the first few months, at least. I'm going to wait on PS4 and XBOX One until at least quarter 2 2014 and get one of the new Mario Brothers edition Deluxe WiiU bundles to tide me over until all the bugs are worked out. WiiU has already gone through it's teething troubles and a lot of new games are scheduled for release in time for the PS4/XBOX One launches and it's $100 cheaper than PS4. WiiU will also have more games available for a while due to backwards compatibility with the Wii. One thing I am wondering, though, is that if WiiU is backward compatible with Wii, and Wii is backward compatible with Gamecube, is WiiU backward compatible with Gamecube, too?

Last edited by sliderider on 2013-10-27, 23:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 53, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

I was pretty geared up over the PS4 but decided to hold off because new console launches are usually disastrous for the first few months, at least. I'm going to wait on PS4 and XBOX One until at least quarter 2 2014 and get one of the new Mario Brothers edition Deluxe WiiU bundles to tide me over until all the bugs are worked out. WiiU has already gone through it's teething troubles and a lot of new games are scheduled for release in time for the PS4/XBOX One launches and it's $100 cheaper than PS4. WiiU will also have more games available for a while due to backwards compatibility with the Wii. One thing I am wondering, though, is that if WiiU is backward compatible with Wii, and Wii is backward compatible with Gamecube, is WiiU backward compatible with Gamecube, too?

The WiiU isn't officially compatible with the Gamecube, but a hack is in the works to get Gamecube games running on it. They''re even have classic controller support to make up for the lack of Gamecube ports. Anyhow, the loader is called Devolution. You can check it out here: http://gbatemp.net/threads/devolution-public-release.330554/

Here's a demonstration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-uUk-U_rkk
and another: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXiKDv4V9l0

Needless to say, I'm getting a Wii U. Screw the XBone and the PS4.

Reply 3 of 53, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Putting aside the fact that one should never buy a console at launch, don't we all already have dozens upon dozens of games we've legally purchased but haven't played yet?

The only thing I might be slightly tempted to buy is a 3DS XL, principally because there may never be another way to play Phoenix Wright 5.

sliderider wrote:

One thing I am wondering, though, is that if WiiU is backward compatible with Wii, and Wii is backward compatible with Gamecube, is WiiU backward compatible with Gamecube, too?

Official backwards compatibility was removed from the Wii quite some time ago.

Reply 4 of 53, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
Putting aside the fact that one should never buy a console at launch, don't we all already have dozens upon dozens of games we'v […]
Show full quote

Putting aside the fact that one should never buy a console at launch, don't we all already have dozens upon dozens of games we've legally purchased but haven't played yet?

The only thing I might be slightly tempted to buy is a 3DS XL, principally because there may never be another way to play Phoenix Wright 5.

sliderider wrote:

One thing I am wondering, though, is that if WiiU is backward compatible with Wii, and Wii is backward compatible with Gamecube, is WiiU backward compatible with Gamecube, too?

*Official* backwards compatibility. 😉

Reply 5 of 53, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

Not according to Nintendo

http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/built-in-software/wii-menu/

"Enjoy nearly all of your existing Wii games on your new Wii U console.

Wii Menu is built in to Wii U. It allows for backwards compatibility with Wii game discs, saved game data, and purchased WiiWare and Virtual Console games on your new Wii U console."

Reply 6 of 53, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

...Yes, that's the Wii U's backward compatibility with the Wii.

I clarify: The Wii had Gamecube compatibility when it was first released, but official Gamecube backwards compatibility was removed from new Wiis quite some time ago. (And of course the Wii Mini never had Gamecube compatibility at all.)

Reply 7 of 53, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

As far as I read you can play gamecube games on the Wii U *unofficially* through the Wii channel and some hacking. Didn't know they cut the official gamecube compatibility on newer Wiis (though I knew about the Wii U).

The only reason it might be good to instantly go for the new console is that often the first generation is more easily hacked than later ones 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 53, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Moving topic to Milliways as this forum is for emulation of consoles.

I don't have plans to buy a console.I would first need a TV that would be able to show the beauty of the new consoles as I am still the proud owner of an old TV.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 9 of 53, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

None for myself since I have a bajillion games for PC but I might buy one for a relative.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 10 of 53, by thegardentool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

None of the above. I bought an Xbox 360 shortly after its release, and while it got some fair use out of it in the first few years, it hasn't been used for playing games regularly for about 5 years. I only have a PS3 because it was bundled with a TV I bought 3 years ago, and I have failed to play one PS3 game on it and only a few hours of a few PS1 games.

Main: 7800X3D | X670e | 3090 | 4k144hz
Retro: Kind of together: P3 | ASUS P3B-F | Canopus Spectra 2500 | Canopus Pure3D II SLI | (sometimes a Voodoo 5 AGP) | SoundBlaster AWE32|

Reply 11 of 53, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Xbox One.

Killer Instinct becons. And kinect is actually fun with non gaming friends (in short doses). The somewhat higher fillrate of the PS4 GPU means squat to me as I have a 7970 in my desktop. I also don't trust the thing... it's awfully small and has an integrated power supply. I expect first gen models to either be noisy or unreliable (or both).

I see less exclusives for the PS4 that I care about this time around, and kinect seemed like fun. I said that about the previous kinect though and it didn't get as much use as I'd have liked.

I also don't see the Xbox One getting a lot of use. too many vintage games and too nice a computer to pay 10 bucks more for the same multi plaform with reduced texture quality.

Reply 13 of 53, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

for now I won't be getting a new console (main reason as it was pointed before is hardware flaws) but I am leaning towards the PS4 for it's exclusives. For me the ps2/3 library of exclusives was/is more tempting that the xboxes one and I don't see Japanese devs or Naughty Dog for example changing platforms...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 17 of 53, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am going to buy a new GPU for my current PC at christmas. I have many PC games yet to play due to me going crazy at steam sale time. I also have a large backlog from the last ten years as I am a recovering wow addict. Every console I have owned in the pass I have sold quickly and returned to the PC I am not going to make that mistake again. 😀

Steam | World of Warcraft

Reply 19 of 53, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm very far removed from most commercial gaming nowadays... There's only a tiny handful of commercial titles I play, all on the PC. I came this far without a 360 and without a PS3 and there's only like, one or two games on each that I can't get on the PC that I would want to play, so getting those consoles seems kinda pointless. I imagine the XB1 and PS4 will follow the same suit for me. :P

As for the Wii U, I'm waiting for the exclusive titles I'm most interested in to hit the scene for it to see how well they fare. The most modern game console I have is the Wii and almost every game I own for it is an exclusive title... or Virtual Console / WiiWare stuff. :B

Heck, my game list on Steam is mostly indie titles. ;D

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg