VOGONS

First post, by tranoidnoki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all!

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for getting sound working on an old PC I acquired from my job. It's a MicronPC Model D810E2-FLEXLP. I installed 98SE and got it working, however the only thing that I cannot get working is the sound. I did a ton of googling, and found the alleged drivers for the onboard sound of the board, an Intel D810E2CB, but when I go to install them, a white error box comes up stating that msgsrv32 has encountered an error and needs to close, and refuses to let me install the drivers. I have tried several things, including unknown devices etc, and it just won't allow me to install the driver. Any ideas?

Also I think instead of a BIOS battery, there is a 6.3v 3300uf cap on the board that has failed and my bios won't save settings on disconnecting it from power. If I replace this cap, is there a threat to the bios being erased or anything like that?

Reply 1 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's a MicronPC Model D810E2-FLEXLP.

Not too helpful, that. How much RAM? What CPU? ISA slots? PCI slots?

Whatever it is, odds are it should at least boot Puppy Linux from a live CD. Try that and check if sound works correctly there; it may help to diagnose the problem.

Onboard sound was kind of crappy back in the early days and you should consider obtaining a PCI or ISA sound card if at all possible.

Reply 2 of 7, by tranoidnoki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oops sorry! It's a pentium 3 933mhz with 512MB RAM, 2 PCI slots. I am assuming something may have borked in the install, so I wiped the drive and starting over, I will def give the puppy Linux suggestion a shot though

Reply 3 of 7, by tranoidnoki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Progress! Instead of msgsrv crashing, it now fails to install the drivers with an error code 69.

Edit: all I did was ask it to reinstall again, and it's working! Retro gaming g goodness here I come!

Last edited by tranoidnoki on 2013-11-14, 00:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows 98SE tends to get a little unstable with 512MB RAM. See for instance >512MB with Windows 98... .

I like to resolve the problem using HIMEMX to restrict the total accessible RAM to something lower, like 448 MB.

Reply 5 of 7, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

512? I thought that was the last safe amount and above that you need tricks...

Reply 6 of 7, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had two Win98SE systems with 512 Mb (one P3-based 4*128 Mb DIMM and one P4-based 1*512 Mb DDR), and had no issues.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 7 of 7, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Same... never needed any tweaks for 512 megs on 98SE. Can't speak for amounts above that, but that's where it to me gets quite pointless anyway.