Common searches

YouTube's Seriously Awful New Change

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 66, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm running into "You are not allowed to comment on this post." trying to reply to peoples comments on Youtube now.

Who the **** made this happen seriously? They should be fired from Google... It's my f'ing video, my comments. If I can't respond to them because apparently Google+ (more like "Google--") allows users to DENY replies to their comments.... what the HELL IS THE POINT OF COMMENTS ANYMORE!?

Why EVEN leave a comment to begin with if NOBODY CAN REPLY TO YOU!?

I'm close to closing my account at this rate... This just sickens me.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 41 of 66, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have with a few videos from me the issue that I can not update my video description anymore. It is as if I am locked out of managing my own videos.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 42 of 66, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is the big deal with having a Google + account? It is created with a push of a button from Youtube and you never have to use it or give any information to the service.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 43 of 66, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

What is the big deal with having a Google + account? It is created with a push of a button from Youtube and you never have to use it or give any information to the service.

All of the bloody stupid problems with it, that's the big deal.

Can't reply to peoples comments if they're globally blocking replies. The YouTube inbox is useless so now you have to deal with either email or that stupid bell icon on any open Google page. Reading comments in that notification window is atrocious as well.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 44 of 66, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:

Can't reply to peoples comments if they're globally blocking replies.

That feature is retarded, I'll agree to that.

I'm sure the other problems will be ironed out in time 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 45 of 66, by j7n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Around the time when the new comment system became available, one of my soundtrack uploads was partially obstructed with black bars when viewed in Flash (but not HTML5). Re-uploading does not fix the issue. When the post is downloaded and viewed in a media player, the black bars aren't there.

self-promotional link removed

Last edited by j7n on 2013-11-13, 11:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 46 of 66, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I finally found a way to get Google+ integration working with YouTube in Firefox, no thanks to their official help system. Because Google+ does not equal YouTube, but you need to be signed into Google+ to do YouTube stuff now, and because Google+ and YouTube do not have the same domain identifiers, the cookies generated by Google+ won't work from YouTube unless your browser is set up to allow third-party cookies or session-specific cookies.

Firefox does not have a global ability to allow session cookies like IE does, but you can allow session cookies for specific websites, so if you set up google.com as an exception to default cookie handling and set it for session cookies, Google+ will work properly again while on YouTube while using Firefox. You could also set it for third-party cookies, but I'm a bit weary of allowing third-party cookies that aren't linked to the present session, since those could easily be used for tracking purposes.

But yeah, so far I'm not having problems anymore with Google+ and YouTube linked together from within Firefox, but I've only done a little testing since figuring this out. I'm gonna give it another day or so to be certain it's all working again.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 49 of 66, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Apparently, the old comments aren't fully compatible with the new system, which doesn't surprise me since new comments are a part of Google+ and old comments are not. So yeah, old comments can't be affected at all and likely never will be able to be affected again. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 52 of 66, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Too bad necrocommenting didn't kick in earlier. This kid thought it would be nice to reply a year later.

Are you sure that everyone sees the same comment order?
It could be that google sorts it personally...

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 53 of 66, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elianda wrote:

That's exactly what they claim they're doing now - god forbid that us, the unwashed masses, would have to do such complicated things as thinking by ourselves, deciding what we find interesting, and filtering the information we consume our own way. Nah, our benevolent providers do all that for us with their shiny new algorithms so we don't have to make our puny human brains hurt, durrr.

Frank Herbert had it right about thinking machines (popularly misconstrued as a purely luddite stance, but the man did write a pioneering book about home computers; it's more about the mentality of letting machines do your thinking for you).

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 54 of 66, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VileRancour wrote:
elianda wrote:

That's exactly what they claim they're doing now - god forbid that us, the unwashed masses, would have to do such complicated things as thinking by ourselves, deciding what we find interesting, and filtering the information we consume our own way. Nah, our benevolent providers do all that for us with their shiny new algorithms so we don't have to make our puny human brains hurt, durrr.

Frank Herbert had it right about thinking machines (popularly misconstrued as a purely luddite stance, but the man did write a pioneering book about home computers; it's more about the mentality of letting machines do your thinking for you).

I fear for the day the singularity happens, the day that computer AIs manage to gain sentience and reach human intelligence. I like computers as much as the next person, but I much prefer my computers to be "dumb" number-crunching machines that obey my commands. 😜

Reply 55 of 66, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I fear for the day the singularity happens, the day that computer AIs manage to gain sentience and reach human intelligence. I like computers as much as the next person, but I much prefer my computers to be "dumb" number-crunching machines that obey my commands. :P

I actually have my own saying in regards to that:

"Technology can be trusting but should never be trusted."

The notion being that while technology is powerful and serves to better our lives, the more things you offload from Human control into the control of technology, the more things that can go wrong and the worse those situations will be when they happen. This is a part of the reason why I've never signed up for automatic/paperless billing with any of the services I had while I was still living on my own. Even right now, Dad recently got a hand-delivered warning that our electricity was going to get cut off this coming Monday, even though he doesn't miss his bill payments. Computers can and DO make mistakes, because the programs written for them are rarely flawless. It's a big part of the reason why the things can crash and lock up in the first place. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 56 of 66, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gemini000 wrote:
I actually have my own saying in regards to that: […]
Show full quote
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I fear for the day the singularity happens, the day that computer AIs manage to gain sentience and reach human intelligence. I like computers as much as the next person, but I much prefer my computers to be "dumb" number-crunching machines that obey my commands. 😜

The notion being that while technology is powerful and serves to better our lives, the more things you offload from Human control into the control of technology, the more things that can go wrong and the worse those situations will be when they happen. This is a part of the reason why I've never signed up for automatic/paperless billing with any of the services I had while I was still living on my own. Even right now, Dad recently got a hand-delivered warning that our electricity was going to get cut off this coming Monday, even though he doesn't miss his bill payments. Computers can and DO make mistakes, because the programs written for them are rarely flawless. It's a big part of the reason why the things can crash and lock up in the first place. 😜

The Matrix has you.

matrix.gif

Reply 57 of 66, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote:
I actually have my own saying in regards to that: […]
Show full quote
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

The notion being that while technology is powerful and serves to better our lives, the more things you offload from Human control into the control of technology, the more things that can go wrong and the worse those situations will be when they happen. This is a part of the reason why I've never signed up for automatic/paperless billing with any of the services I had while I was still living on my own. Even right now, Dad recently got a hand-delivered warning that our electricity was going to get cut off this coming Monday, even though he doesn't miss his bill payments. Computers can and DO make mistakes, because the programs written for them are rarely flawless. It's a big part of the reason why the things can crash and lock up in the first place. 😜

Amen to that.

Speaking of which, have you ever heard of the Therac 25 radiation therapy machine? Due to serious software malfunctions, it was responsible for at least six different accidents in the mid 1980s, three of which resulted in the deaths of patients. It turns out the software running it was coded by an unskilled, unlicensed amateur. 😜 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therac-25 http://www.ccnr.org/fatal_dose.html

Reply 58 of 66, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just to add to YouTube's ineptitude: I'm now getting newsletters from them recommending videos to watch in my eMail box, which I do not want. I go to disable this feature figuring it got re-enabled in the mess of updates... and it's ALREADY disabled. Smooth. x_x;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 59 of 66, by Gabucino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Why is this even an issue?

VileRancour wrote:

I tried DDG for a while recently, but unfortunately it uses that infuriating "load more results as you scroll down" system, with no pagination, so it's a no-go for me.

https://duckduckgo.com/lite/

Using inferior and spyware web crawlers like Google was a sign of weakness since some years back, and is completely inexcusable at the end of 2013. (Took a look at Blekko, but it uses JavaScript, therefore it didn't work at all.)

I am baffled about what drives people to read or - even - post youtube comments. Why on earth would anyone want any of that?

Also, why would anyone use a browser for playing streaming video? On Mac, there's the MacTubes util, where you can customize your preferences (HD, non-HD, using MPEG4 with QuickTime or HTML5 or just plain shit Flash player, etc), use a non-webbased search function, all that stuff. YT itself can't even play a low-res video on a 1.2Ghz G4. Who would (in their right mind) use it? I'm sure there's a Windows alternative for this.