VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In the current SVN, r3850, there are major graphics issues with any of the AGI games in the pcjr machine mode, especially the booters. Anything using text either fails to properly refresh or clear itself, green dots appear in the text portion of the frame or the menu bars fail to appear correctly. I think that r3832 may have caused a regression. Tandy mode works fine.

While not related, I have discovered that the booters of Donald Duck's Playground and versions 1.1J, 1.1K and 1.1K Tandy all fail to work in the Tandy machine mode. I checked DDPG and 1.1K Tandy in my 1000SX and they fail to work there as well. I think they probably only work in a 128K Tandy 1000. Can anyone test them?

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 1 of 26, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I did not check that many, but it did happen with the KQ2 booter. DDPG booter in tandy failed to start for me as well, but does work properly in PCjr. KQ1 booter works OK in PCjr. I can try more when I get some time. One other thing I noticed is the screen capture crashes DOSBox. The following capture of KQ2 was done with the print screen.

Attachments

• boot_000.png
    Filename
    boot_000.png
    File size
    6.04 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 26, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is what I saw. The KQ1 PCjr. booter has an issue with the text not clearing itself.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 3 of 26, by P4R4D0X

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Confirmed! All I need to do is set the machine type to pcjr and boot the game. Now here's some interesting facts... Found another regression. You only get the green dots in the Tandy version only. Text remains on the screen but you can still play the game. Also it doesn't crash for me when I try to take a screenshot for King's Quest 1.

boot_000.png
Filename
boot_000.png
File size
5.31 KiB
Views
File comment
Tandy version (machine=pcjr)
File license

Now here's the weird part. In the IBM PCjr version of the game I don't see and dots. The text is still on the screen and it's not refreshed. But on top of that I can't play the game. You can type stuff in but you cannot move! I'm pressing the arrows but it doesn't work just like in 0.74.

boot_001.png
Filename
boot_001.png
File size
5.01 KiB
Views
File comment
IBM PCjr version (machine=pcjr)
File license

Edit: Tried King's Quest 2 and it doesn't crash for me... I can use the screenshot capture feature.

boot_000.png
Filename
boot_000.png
File size
2.21 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 5 of 26, by P4R4D0X

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
collector wrote:

I was using the EmuCR build, if that makes any differences.

Yes indeed! Seems like the EmuCR builds crash every single time you try to snap a screenshot. I think that build is compiled with Visual Studio 2010... so is that another bug? MinGW and cross compiled versions work fine and it doesn't crash when you press Ctrl+F5.

Reply 7 of 26, by Laukku

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Aren't the EmuCR builds done without PNG capture support?

http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/SVN_Builds#Plain.2 … lean_SVN_builds

Compiled without screenshot, video recording and IPX support.

My YouTube account, with miscellanous DOS game stuff: http://www.youtube.com/user/LaukkuTheGreit

Reply 9 of 26, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The attached patch seems to fix it for PCJr. However it can't fix anything for Tandy. The latter probably has a similar implementation as PCJr.

Attachments

• Filename
    int10_scroll_jr.diff
    File size
    507 Bytes
    Downloads
    97 downloads
    File license

1+1=10

Reply 10 of 26, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The patch does fix the text refresh on KQ1, but KQ2 and BC still show the gray and green dots.

Reply 11 of 26, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

New patch attached. Clearing video memory on SetMode was also affected. What is BC?

So we have several problems:
- screenshots, probably caused by the build (works fine for me)
- KQ1 booter in PCJR mode, ScrollWindow scrolling incorrect region of memory - fixed in the patch
- KQ2 booter and other showing dots after SetMode, display memory cannot be cleared through the B800 segment completely on the JR - fixed in the patch

- KQ2 booter locking up hard with dynamic core - known issue or new?
- DDPG booter not starting up with machine=tandy (occurs in both r3850 and r3812), works in 0.74

Attachments

• Filename
    pcjr_32k_2.diff
    File size
    1.25 KiB
    Downloads
    118 downloads
    File license

1+1=10

Reply 13 of 26, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The updated patch solves the problem with the green dots.

The KQ2 booter needing normal core is not new. The DDPG issue may have something to do with an error in the image itself, as it fails to boot in my real Tandy 1000SX or PCjr. (128KB) but boots fine in my PC.

Reply 14 of 26, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The regression in DDPG is related to r3626. A result of Retrograde Station's crack that locates its INT 13h handler as high as possible in conventional memory based on the amount of memory reported by INT 12h. The handler is being placed in graphics memory in SVN, so it gets wiped out when the switch to graphics mode occurs.

Reply 15 of 26, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My understanding about DDPG is not so much of a crack as there are three versions floating around. Two of them are fan ported to PC, one from Atari and one from Amiga. At least that is what AGINFO IDs them as. Both of these will crash when you hit Escape. The third is a booter image. I have two Tandy versions that I cannot read the disks.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 17 of 26, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wasn't trying to challenge you or anything. I am just trying to sort out DDPG. I had not heard of it having copy protection. The only reason that I mentioned the other two is that this game seems to have several different versions, each with its own issues. Was the copy protection on the booter CPC?

Reply 18 of 26, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Pressing ctrl-v in the Retrograde Station booter reports "Version 1.0Q - June 9, 1986 - Adventure Game Interpreter Version 2.001". Oversized sectors are part of the protection, hence the INT 13h handler set high up in memory to deal with those, so it may be similar/related to CPC if not exactly that.

Reply 19 of 26, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I usually just invoke debug (Alt+D) in the AGI games to get game and interpreter versions, but yeah, the booter should be 1.0Q according to HWM's Sierra interpreter list.