VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 26, by Servo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not sure if this is related, but I get those same green dot patterns with Tandy GW-Basic in screen 3 or screen 5 (160x200x16 and 320x200x16 modes). Using the exact same basic.exe on a real Tandy (or with PCjr cartridge basic) does not result in the patterns. I'm using the official 0.74 version for this.

The test program is

10 CLEAR,,,32767
20 SCREEN 5
(or screen 3)

In both cases the dots result and commands are no longer executed after the program is finished. It is possible to clear the screen again after setting the mode and the program will continue to run fine until it's done, but once done enter commands does nothing further.

basic_001.png
Filename
basic_001.png
File size
1.84 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
basic_000.png
Filename
basic_000.png
File size
1.82 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 21 of 26, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That problem no longer occurs in the Tandy mode in the SVN as patched in this thread.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 23 of 26, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Tandy GW-BASIC appears to be unresponsive to commands when it's in mode 8 and mode 9, because there's no problem if a program uses those modes but ends in some other mode. Adding support for M_TANDY16 in GetPixel() might fix the problem, but that may only be part of what's missing.

Reply 24 of 26, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I can confirm that the Tandy GW-BASIC interpreter does not respond to commands in SCREEN 3 (mode 8) and SCREEN 5 (mode 9) because it can't "see" what is typed. Implementing M_TANDY16 in GetPixel(), as in the attached patch, fixes the problem.

With commands being recognized, I noticed that CLS only clears the upper half of the screen in mode 8, but mode 9 is OK. Probably a ScrollWindow() issue with machine=tandy that's similar to machine=pcjr.

Attachments

• Filename
    get_pixel_tandy16.diff
    File size
    909 Bytes
    Downloads
    89 downloads
    File license

Reply 26 of 26, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yes, it can 😉

*moved to DOSBox Patches *

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper